First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The Fumoto # is F-137N. Been using their stuff for years.
I do like the Valvo Max, but the Fumoto is self contained...you don't need the separate attachment.
Bottom line is there both good products and make changing oil super easy.
If you do get fumoto you need the extension that goes with it for proper fitting.
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
If you do get fumoto you need the extension that goes with it for proper fitting.
Are you referring to the ADP-137 extension/adapter ?
I haven't ordered my Fumoto yet...still 1000 miles yet for first change, and I haven't been under to see what's needed yet.
My old 2009 Ranger with the 4 cyl needed an adapter also, so I know what you mean.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Are you referring to the ADP-137 extension/adapter ?
I haven't ordered my Fumoto yet...still 1000 miles yet for first change, and I haven't been under to see what's needed yet.
My old 2009 Ranger with the 4 cyl needed an adapter, also I know what you mean.
Steve, yes I did the f107sx and Adp-137 adapter. Need that to get it far enough away from oil Pan. Just don’t crank it down hard. You can snap them off if you muscle them. Once on good to go from that point on.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Steve, yes I did the f107sx and Adp-137 adapter. Need that to get it far enough away from oil Pan. Just don’t crank it down hard. You can snap them off if you muscle them. Once on good to go from that point on.
Thanks for the info...I crawled under and yup, the drain plug is recessed just like my old 2009.
Familiar with them...been using them for many years on many vehicles.
Thanks !
Now I'm wondering if a remote filter adapter could be fitted so the filter would be more accessible.
Have to look into that. Probably one out there as the 2021 takes the same Motorcraft filter as my old 2009 4 cyl, and there were several available for that application.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Thanks for the info...I crawled under and yup, the drain plug is recessed just like my old 2009.
Familiar with them...been using them for many years on many vehicles.
Thanks !
Now I'm wondering if a remote filter adapter could be fitted so the filter would be more accessible.
Have to look into that. Probably one out there as the 2021 takes the same Motorcraft filter as my old 2009 4 cyl, and there were several available for that application.
Pulling those pins to change the filter sucks. I might try some strong magnets epoxied to the liner.

Good call on the adapter Trigg. I forgot about that

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I just did my first oil change a few days ago and removing the oil filter was very painful. It was on TIGHT and there's not really any room in there to use a strap wrench or a band wrench (all I had at the time). I ended up struggling with the band wrench for over 15 minutes before getting the filter loose enough to twist off by hand. I ended up buying a 76mm 14 flute cap wrench for next time. Fits the Mobil 1 M1-102 filters I use.

Removing the flap to get to the filter was no big deal. Those clips are easy to remove if you have the right tools. Instead of forcing them out, use the clip-removal tool (or something like that) only to apply modest outward pressure on the clip while using a Philips head screwdriver to loosen the screw in the center. The outward pressure prevents the screw from spinning in place. Some of them will simply unscrew without the clip-removal tool at all.

Removing the skid plate was no big deal either. Not much to say there.

I found quite a bit of surface rust while I was under there, so I used a wire brush on it and sprayed Rust Converter over it. Hopefully by doing that every time I work on the truck, it'll become somewhat rustproofy over time. The worst of it was on the edges of these guys (not my pic):
1629338679509.png

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's the one. I like how it uses a check valve type of shut off instead of a ball valve and lever setup like the Fumoto. Being stainless and US made doesn't hurt either.
I just wanna make certain the size is M12-1.75 that your link takes us to because Amazon says it dosen't fit the Ranger. It says the M14-1.50 does. I don't trust Amazon.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you go to the valve's actual website, whichever your considering, both indicate the M12 x 1.75 for the 2019-2021 Ranger's. The 14 x 1.50 fits the older Rangers....my old 2009 used that one.
For info, I've got the Fumoto in my Amazon cart, with the M12 x 1.75 threads.
Amazon is wrong occasionally.

Last edited:

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Only thing I can add is make sure the old rubber o-ring from the original oil filter doesn't get stuck on the engine there.

Mine did and I didn't see it. Put the new oil filter on over it and when I started it sprayed oil out and I had to redo everything.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I just did my first oil change a few days ago and removing the oil filter was very painful. It was on TIGHT and there's not really any room in there to use a strap wrench or a band wrench (all I had at the time). I ended up struggling with the band wrench for over 15 minutes before getting the filter loose enough to twist off by hand. I ended up buying a 76mm 14 flute cap wrench for next time. Fits the Mobil 1 M1-102 filters I use.

Removing the flap to get to the filter was no big deal. Those clips are easy to remove if you have the right tools. Instead of forcing them out, use the clip-removal tool (or something like that) only to apply modest outward pressure on the clip while using a Philips head screwdriver to loosen the screw in the center. The outward pressure prevents the screw from spinning in place. Some of them will simply unscrew without the clip-removal tool at all.

Removing the skid plate was no big deal either. Not much to say there.

I found quite a bit of surface rust while I was under there, so I used a wire brush on it and sprayed Rust Converter over it. Hopefully by doing that every time I work on the truck, it'll become somewhat rustproofy over time. The worst of it was on the edges of these guys (not my pic):
1629338679509.png
Just wanted to add an actual photo of the (mostly now-converted) rust I noticed when doing my oil change:
1629393962075.png

Seems worse than typical surface-rust.. but I don't know

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
Just change mine for the fourth time yesterday, 20K. I have a Valvomax drain valve, no removing skid plate, no jacking up truck, no drips on driveway. Yes the flap in the wheel well is the biggest pain. Going to get different retainers that are easier to remove. Also get yourself an over end expandable filter wrench and a long extention to remove the filter, cheap at Harbor Freight. Oh and don't forget to move your catch pan over behind the front wheel to catch the oil from the filter.

Have fun, after putting the valve on the first time it's a peice of cake.
Did you need the extension as mentioned for the other valve? Thanks!

OP
OP
SeattleRanger

SeattleRanger

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat, 2003 XLT Ford Ranger
Occupation
Beekeeper
For the Fumoto attachment, do you all leave the leave the tube attached or pull it off each time? I've watched a couple videos and it seems like you are suppose to remove the tube when done and close the cap back up.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
For the Fumoto attachment, do you all leave the leave the tube attached or pull it off each time? I've watched a couple videos and it seems like you are suppose to remove the tube when done and close the cap back up.
I remove my drain hose so it doesn’t get ripped off and on the side of the road somewhere. Winters in the NE will definitely do that
Sponsored