First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
In inherited a 4.0L 1999 Ranger XLT 4x4 with tow package and automatic trans. from my younger brother. He changed the oil every 3,000 miles. the truck now has 270,000 miles and the engine still makes over 9:1 compression in each cylinder. My brother was sort of compulsive about service and even kept a log book with every fill up, oil change and service.
The cost of an oil change compared to the cost of the vehicle seems like cheap insurance. I have continued the oil change regimen since inheriting the truck in late 2013.
The oils available now last far longer than those of 1999. If the oil is conventional it's a little more understandable to use short intervals.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So I bought the truck at 10,124 miles. The oil change sticker said to change at 10,211. Well I’m almost at 11k now, but I’ve checked the oil an have some left. Should I change it or wait?
C04BAF9F-BA6B-416F-B7E1-9FBDD2C76AA8.png
Jay, seeing as you just bought it and the sticker said to change it at 10,211 I would do it now. This way you have a fresh start and can change it at your desired interval from here on out.

But seeing as you have plenty left you could go another 10,000 miles. ?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I have about 3,200 miles and I keep getting "Urgent - oil change past due" The service guy said I didn't need to change it until 5,000 miles. Is this true and if so how can I turn off the warning message?
3,200 total miles on the truck.
If your truck is a 2019 with 3200 total miles, then yes it's time to change the oil.
If you don't put on many miles then I would change the oil once a year regardless of mileage. The owner's manual probably tells you the same thing.
The oil life monitor can come on due to time as well, it's not strictly a mileage thing.

Last edited:

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I run Motul full synthetic formulated for GDI turbo engines and WIX filters to help prevent deposits and blow by created by oil breaking down . A lot of the issues people deal with are crap oil related.
Since Its a DI engine and its almost guaranteed you’ll have carbon buildup on the valves. And not sure why/how but every article i find says to do regular oil changes to help minimize it, there ase other things but changing oil is the most common. Id rather NOT do it over 5k miles.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Driving style also plays a role.
If your truck is a 2019 with 3200 total miles, then yes it's time to change the oil.
If you don't put on many miles then I would change the oil once a year regardless of mileage. The owner's manual probably tells you the same thing.
The oil life monitor can come on due to time as well, it's not strictly a mileage thing.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I would do it at no less than 5k. A lot of people go longer. Any less than that is a waste. I do it at 5k with tire rotation. I don't like rotating at more than 5k.
I forget the warning turn off, pretty sure it's in the owner's manual.
Curious, assuming you do the rotation yourself, How do you go about it. I am trying to figure out the best way of supporting the truck to move a tire from one side of the truck to the other. Front to back is easy. Do I need to completely raise the entire truck with (4) jackstands to do it.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Curious, assuming you do the rotation yourself, How do you go about it. I am trying to figure out the best way of supporting the truck to move a tire from one side of the truck to the other. Front to back is easy. Do I need to completely raise the entire truck with (4) jackstands to do it.
I use a 5th tire, and lift one corner at a time. The factory spare would work fine, and it’s a good opportunity to clean and check proper inflation.

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
I use a 5th tire, and lift one corner at a time. The factory spare would work fine, and it’s a good opportunity to clean and check proper inflation.
Thanks, Looking for a less expensive way though. I guess I could use the spare though, bit having 18,000 miles on the tires, I wonder if the tread difference would create a negative effect.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
No, the low cost of "The Works" service package at the dealer makes it not worth my time to do it myself. Also, the dealer just rotates front to rear, not cross to front like the manual says. Seems to be fine.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I run Motul full synthetic formulated for GDI turbo engines and WIX filters to help prevent deposits and blow by created by oil breaking down . A lot of the issues people deal with are crap oil related.
Any oil that has an API service rating of SN+ or SP is formulated for GDI engines.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Owner's manual says 10,000 miles so that's my schedule.

My 2010 F150 I got at ~120,000 miles. I've been doing oil changes around 28-30,000 miles it's over 200,000 miles now with no motor problems ever.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Thanks, Looking for a less expensive way though. I guess I could use the spare though, bit having 18,000 miles on the tires, I wonder if the tread difference would create a negative effect.
I’m not suggesting that you drive on the spare, only to use it to facilitate rotation of the other four tires. This can be done using only the tools that came with the truck - no extra purchase required. I use a floor jack that I’ve had for 30 years.
Sponsored