Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
There website shows no application specifically for the '19-'21 2.3 Ranger,
only for '2012-2016 EXPLORER ECOBOOST 2.0 & 2.3.'
Do you have knowledge that it fits our trucks?
This one fits or I guess you can use their “universal”
CFM BAFFLED BILLET VALVE COVER BREATHER KIT FOR 2015-2016 MUSTANG ECOBOOST
Sponsored

Last edited:

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I have the mishimoto catch can have had it on for about 3k miles now. Checked it after 500 miles and not a drop. Checked it today and got about 6.5ml. No fuel smell at all. Glad to see its doing its job.
20210923_125436_HDR.jpg
20210923_125641.jpg
Since you live in Arizona where it is warm and dry most of the year you shouldn't see much in your CC. I've had the Mishimoto can on for about 40K. I catch almost zero oil/fuel vapor in the warm months and ALOT when it gets cold and snowy in the winter. When I say ALOT I mean I have to empty the can at every refuel. It gets to be a hassle so I'm going to install the drain valve kit they sell so I don't have to unscrew the can....It gets hard to remove when it's cold, even with a little oil lube on the threads. I definitely believe in catch can's on these motors. When I think about how much vapor my engine has captured over time....WOW!

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
My Catch Can …

2E83A566-3A22-47BB-995F-F53751FBFE90.jpeg

ABC5BCF9-7649-4DB1-9C4E-92619F2B4FDA.jpeg
Hi @Doc , when you installed that did you change anything else about the system? The reason I ask is because I tried something like that a few years ago, though it was a smaller vent. I had a catch can on the PCV return path but no can on the crankcase/turbo inlet side, so I tried disconnecting the turbo inlet return path, capping off the turbo inlet port, and adding a vent like you show, although a smaller one.

It worked for a a while until I was heading up a long grade toward a mountain pass, when the system threw an error and disabled the turbo, putting me in 'reduced power mode' or something like that. I can only assume that the crankcase pressure was too high. I pulled over, reconnected the normal crankcase path, restarted the engine and everything was OK. After that, I added a second can on the crankcase turbo return path instead of the vent. It seemed like just venting the crankcase wasn't good enough. If this has worked for you, maybe the size of the vent matters and mine was too small?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Hi @Doc , when you installed that did you change anything else about the system? The reason I ask is because I tried something like that a few years ago, though it was a smaller vent. I had a catch can on the PCV return path but no can on the crankcase/turbo inlet side, so I tried disconnecting the turbo inlet return path, capping off the turbo inlet port, and adding a vent like you show, although a smaller one.

It worked for a a while until I was heading up a long grade toward a mountain pass, when the system threw an error and disabled the turbo, putting me in 'reduced power mode' or something like that. I can only assume that the crankcase pressure was too high. I pulled over, reconnected the normal crankcase path, restarted the engine and everything was OK. After that, I added a second can on the crankcase turbo return path instead of the vent. It seemed like just venting the crankcase wasn't good enough. If this has worked for you, maybe the size of the vent matters and mine was too small?
No I just added it after my 1st Blackstone report with high fuel dilution. It is now less than 0.5 %.
Regards

Desertranger19

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
I ran a catch can on my 2019 Ranger pretty much since I bought it new, I emptied it every oil change interval (4k miles for me) and sometimes it had more oil/crap in it then other times, but it always had something. So it obviously makes its way into the intake manifold.

Desertranger19

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I forgot to add, I got the JLT 3.0 kit on my 19, which im trying to install on my 21, anyone have it installed on a 2021 model? I couldnt seem to find the same connections, so Im wondering if something was changed and now wont work for the 21 model.

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've only had my UPR catch can on a few days so I didn't expect anything to come out of it
(or I'd have put a container under it to see how much was in it).
Opened the valve (drain hose comes out at the bottom edge of the air dam) and several ounces of watery oil/oily water came out onto the gravel.

Glad I have the can installed and that stuff isn't going into my intake !

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I've only had my UPR catch can on a few days so I didn't expect anything to come out of it
(or I'd have put a container under it to see how much was in it).
Opened the valve (drain hose comes out at the bottom edge of the air dam) and several ounces of watery oil/oily water came out onto the gravel.

Glad I have the can installed and that stuff isn't going into my intake !
Glad you're glad,
Here another great product which works wonders...

1634347363728.png

No really!... read this along with thousands of testimonials!

Made from the oil of the Chinese water snake, which is rich in the omega-3 acids that help reduce inflammation, snake oil in its original form really was effective , especially when used to treat arthritis and bursitis . The workers would rub the oil, used for centuries in China, on their joints after a long hard day at work.

Apparently , ( like a catchcan) if you use it for centuries it will really help a lot!

Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Since you live in Arizona where it is warm and dry most of the year you shouldn't see much in your CC. I've had the Mishimoto can on for about 40K. I catch almost zero oil/fuel vapor in the warm months and ALOT when it gets cold and snowy in the winter. When I say ALOT I mean I have to empty the can at every refuel. It gets to be a hassle so I'm going to install the drain valve kit they sell so I don't have to unscrew the can....It gets hard to remove when it's cold, even with a little oil lube on the threads. I definitely believe in catch can's on these motors. When I think about how much vapor my engine has captured over time....WOW!
I have the same experience, also added the drain. I also installed a brass shut off valve about six inches from the catch can and the one included in the kit at the end of the drain hose. We'll worth adding the drain kit.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I may be repeating myself but the second vacuum source purpose was vague even though I jumped on it as soon as it was added. The standard catch can designs basically just operate within the factory system and rely on vacuum created by the PCV system... and I see those aware of an overall positive pressure present at the top of the engine installing breathers.

UPR calls the add in kit the Wide Open Throttle option - the vacuum provided by the intake stream of the engine. It would suggest that diverts some of the pressure build up in the PVC loop?

I've seen a few catch cans with breathers on them- not sure how that functions and I can image could throw codes here. I haven't read anyone saying they've had that issue with the breather or the WOT option.

I'm just speculating there might be some subtle advantage to that. I can't say I've noticed.

Reactions: Doc

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
After 686 posts still no..

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Like it or not, it's on mine now and never to be removed. The trauma of the install is fading and I "can" confirm it definitely does catch stuff, mostly in the colder months. I save it up and use it as starter fluid for bonfires.

My thoughts are I would rather have it in place and maybe avoid the problems some people have with buildup in some DI engines. Do they work as claimed or not? Nobody knows with ?% certainty, and to claim otherwise is a reflection of personal biases and fanboy emotion.

Your truck. Your $. Your choice.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Like it or not, it's on mine now and never to be removed. The trauma of the install is fading and I "can" confirm it definitely does catch stuff, mostly in the colder months. I save it up and use it as starter fluid for bonfires.

My thoughts are I would rather have it in place and maybe avoid the problems some people have with buildup in some DI engines. Do they work as claimed or not? Nobody knows with ?% certainty, and to claim otherwise is a reflection of personal biases and fanboy emotion.

Your truck. Your $. Your choice.
Problem is, if "nobody knows whether it works, then by extension, "nobody knows" whether it is harmful.
Fact is, Not even the absolute best in any field can be 100% certain about much, but there are those who combine knowledge and good judgement to produce the best answer most of the time..
You can try and learn enough to make that decision yourself or you can find a source you trust and take his advice. (or a little of both)

I.E...Do you use pure nitrogen in your tires? I scoff at it... but it can't really hurt right?
I listened to all sides, added in my experience, and settled on a compromise blend ....

About 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and about 1% trace gasses.
Hey its not 100% nitrogen, but I'm (nearly) 100% positive that it is a better choice than pure hydrogen or a blend of acetylene and oxygen! :giggle:

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Problem is, if "nobody knows whether it works, then by extension, "nobody knows" whether it is harmful.
Fact is, Not even the absolute best in any field can be 100% certain about much, but there are those who combine knowledge and good judgement to produce the best answer most of the time..
You can try and learn enough to make that decision yourself or you can find a source you trust and take his advice. (or a little of both)

I.E...Do you use pure nitrogen in your tires? I scoff at it... but it can't really hurt right?
I listened to all sides, added in my experience, and settled on a compromise blend ....

About 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen and about 1% trace gasses.
Hey its not 100% nitrogen, but I'm (nearly) 100% positive that it is a better choice than pure hydrogen or a blend of acetylene and oxygen! :giggle:
I added a little Canadian pine scent to the nitrogen blend and it really perked up the handling characteristics. ?

All I'm saying is there is no proof it works or doesn't. If people want to spend their money on it, who are you or anyone else to decide if it's a waste of money? If you want to place your undying faith and trust in Ford engineers and bean counters that's your choice.
Sponsored