First Name
TERRYT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Bridge Builder
I have the MM catch can on my 19 ranger and have a fuel smell from it. I just spray the hoses and can with simple green when I empty it. Does anyone else have that smell? I have read that most catch cans do this and it is normal
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Of course there are liquids going into the engine... that's what vapor is.. fine droplets of a substance and air.
No, that's an aerosol. A vapor is a gas below the critical temperature of the corresponding liquid.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
No, that's an aerosol. A vapor is a gas below the critical temperature of the corresponding liquid.
Actually they are both correct definitions. But thank you for the physics lesson.

1621084341554.png

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Actually they are both correct definitions. But thank you for the physics lesson.
Even your obnoxious screen shot doesn't support that claim. The words "fine droplets of a substance and air" aren't anywhere in that. Now, if you check the dictionary.com definition of "aerosol" you'll find "colloidal particles dispersed in a gas", which sounds a lot more like what you originally wrote. It's an important distinction, because what you need to do to get a liquid out of a vapor is different from what you need to do to get a liquid out of an aerosol.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Even your obnoxious screen shot doesn't support that claim. The words "fine droplets of a substance and air" aren't anywhere in that. Now, if you check the dictionary.com definition of "aerosol" you'll find "colloidal particles dispersed in a gas", which sounds a lot more like what you originally wrote. It's an important distinction, because what you need to do to get a liquid out of a vapor is different from what you need to do to get a liquid out of an aerosol.
Geeze... have fun with all this Mike.

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
I have the MM catch can on my 19 ranger and have a fuel smell from it. I just spray the hoses and can with simple green when I empty it. Does anyone else have that smell? I have read that most catch cans do this and it is normal
Yeah its normal, you can eliminate the smell buy using a/n fitting and better O rings.

task65

First Name
TERRYT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Bridge Builder
Yeah its normal, you can eliminate the smell buy using a/n fitting and better O rings.
So replace the orings on the two fittings atnthe can or even replace them with better fittings?

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
So replace the orings on the two fittings atnthe can or even replace them with better fittings?
Replace the o rings within the can with the proper one than Replace the fittings with a/n fittings and you will have no smell. Sucks but the company's make good cans but use cheap rings and fitting that are not rated for the what they are used for.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Replace the o rings within the can with the proper one than Replace the fittings with a/n fittings and you will have no smell. Sucks but the company's make good cans but use cheap rings and fitting that are not rated for the what they are used for.
Hmm, good thoughts.

"Replace the o rings within the can with the proper one"
Which one is the proper one?

"Replace the fittings with a/n fittings"
Do you mean, replace all the fittings (except the ones that go to the engine) with a/n fittings?

I had thought that the fittings to the engine were also loose, and so also cause smell. Someone had mentioned adding a 2nd O-ring to eliminate smell, but when I called UPR to ask about that, they said that it was a bad idea -- and that their connectors are the same tightness / looseness as Ford's OEM connectors.

Gixxers

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Hmm, good thoughts.

"Replace the o rings within the can with the proper one"
Which one is the proper one?

"Replace the fittings with a/n fittings"
Do you mean, replace all the fittings (except the ones that go to the engine) with a/n fittings?

I had thought that the fittings to the engine were also loose, and so also cause smell. Someone had mentioned adding a 2nd O-ring to eliminate smell, but when I called UPR to ask about that, they said that it was a bad idea -- and that their connectors are the same tightness / looseness as Ford's OEM connectors.
Use viton o rings, I replaced the fittings at the can with a/n fittings. Like I said good can but cheap components considering the cost.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
smell is from the hoses they use. It’s permeable so you smell gas. PTFE lined hoses will not. They can be difficult to work with though so it’s understandable why they supply the non lined hose

billwinkle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 super cab
Occupation
Retired
I just retired from a Subaru Dealer in So Cal. (moved to N.C. as soon as I did) I dealt with Quirt Crawford and Ken Block when he was still racing Subarus. Quirt designed the first catch can for Subis. He found even new WRX engines with oil already in the intercooler. He tried to tell the engineers at Subaru this was a major reason why we were replacing so many engines under warranty. but they would not listen. I think Subaru was a bigger problem than our rangers but I am putting one on my new Ranger just to play it safe.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes for my high performance, high output, high reving sports cars...not necessary for my lazy driving style Ranger...

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Yes for my high performance, high output, high reving sports cars...not necessary for my lazy driving style Ranger...
First, Love your truck :thumbsup:

As far as CCs go, I would say pull your IC lower pipe off and look. If its dry then Kudos ?, but if the the 2.3 is set up like most of the engines Ive played with. Its probably not dry anymore.
That stuff is being sprayed throughout your intake system, including your turbo if the line is connected that high up the intake chain. Which also includes your throttle body and manifold. I know mine is, and at 400km I already had oil building up. Keep in mind I have a Diesel, but the principle is the same. I use a Provent CC and I have to empty it every oil change. However, my intake system and IC is dry now. :handsinair:

Just pull the pipe and see, it cant hurt anything one way or the other.

Disclaimer: I dont own a 2.3 and never worked on one, so Im sure Ill be corrected if I missed something. ☺
Sponsored