Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I was going to use one, and purchased the excellent dual-vacuum UPR catch can system with extension. But, it turns out in california it's illegal to install, and the vehicle won't pass smog.

So, I was never able to install it. If anyone wants to buy it for less than new cost -- it's unused/brand new in original unopened packaging-- let me know. At some point I'll also post in a For Sale thread...
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I added a little Canadian pine scent to the nitrogen blend and it really perked up the handling characteristics. ?

All I'm saying is there is no proof it works or doesn't. If people want to spend their money on it, who are you or anyone else to decide if it's a waste of money? If you want to place your undying faith and trust in Ford engineers and bean counters that's your choice.
It is not entirely clear how you arrived at that understanding of my thought process.:oops:
My experience and yours are of course divergent, but we have both had the same information available on the catchcan issue, and came different conclusions.

I am satisfied with the engineering in the 2.3L EcoBoost engine or I would not have bought it.
The same was true with the controversies involved with other engines I have owned in the past.

Remember the coking on the Lima 2.3L SVT Turbocharger?
Remember piston "scuffing" in the Pinto Lima engine?
Remember Timing chain design complaints on the OHC 4.0L?
With proper care, I had complete reliability and zero issues with all three .

If the EcoBoost fails in ten years, I will repair it to stock specs( providing I am still around and able to drive.) Glad to acknowledge the effectiveness of a catchcan (if any) at teardown time.
In the mean time I am glad to accept the risk.
Hope it works for you and others who have decided to place their undying faith and trust in catchcan engineers and profiteers, That's your choice!:clap:

At least if you have a flat it will smell good while you change it! :like:

Last edited:

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Glad we don’t have to do any of that crap. Here in NC, we have safety only inspections and no emissions testing.

How much you asking for the catch can!

I was going to use one, and purchased the excellent dual-vacuum UPR catch can system with extension. But, it turns out in california it's illegal to install, and the vehicle won't pass smog.

So, I was never able to install it. If anyone wants to buy it for less than new cost -- it's unused/brand new in original unopened packaging-- let me know. At some point I'll also post in a For Sale thread...

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It is not clear how that would affect emissions, but then its not clear how California got to be what it is! :oops:
Are you allowed to put pine scent in your tire inflation? :giggle:

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I dont use a CC bc Im worried about engine failure, chances are, if your engine breaks down it wont be because of build up. Unless you run past 150,00 miles with out maintenance. However, I dont want that gunk flowing back through my intake system and spitting it on my valves. I dont like pulling any of the pipes and having oil drip out. The IC will get coated in that stuff.
I use a real CC and yes there is a difference, just bc a company says its a CC does not mean it works like it should. In case you er curious I use a Provent.
I ran my Everest ( DIESEL ) 400km with out one and oil was already present in the upper cold side of the inter cooler. Checked again at 4,000km and it was dry, so it works for me and what I want from it.
You wont see or hear me tell someone to use one, but I will explain why I use one.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
It is not clear how that would affect emissions, but then its not clear how California got to be what it is! :oops:
Are you allowed to put pine scent in your tire inflation? :giggle:
I believe Colorado has or will soon adopt CARB regulations, making use of a catch can unlawful, properly maintained a catch can shouldn't impact emissions - but therein lies the problem, the can requires maintenance and adds additional failure points to the emission system, so CA and at least CO ban them, I have one installed but in retrospect don't think it's necessary and I have confidence in Ford engineers PCV design, doubt that bean counters were ever involved in a decision whether to use or not use a catch can.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I have looked into the pro's and con's and have decided not to install one. I will however use CRC GDI intake valve and turbo cleaner right before every oil change (5K Miles). this should prevent any coke buildup on the backs of the valves without possibly messing with the emissions, warranty, or violating any CARB regulations (but no snog test for the first 5 years on new vehicles).

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
How can installing for example the jlt 3.0 harm a engine?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How can installing for example the jlt 3.0 harm a engine?
Probably can't, but hypothetically if it were allowed to overfill or if it caused a vent restriction, it could cause excess crankcase pressure resulting in such problems as oil leaks.

Last edited:

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
You guys still discussing this huh?

I think CC's are great.............If you are the company selling them. They have made a lot of money.

Truthfully all they are really doing is catching the condensation, that is it. If you use one in a humid enviroment you get a lot of dirty water. If you use one in a dry climate you get very little dirty water.

Carry on.

Last edited:

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I’ve used catch cans on almost every boosted vehicle and also high revving NA applicationI’ve owned and I plan on buying one for the Ranger. This includes my focus RS which basically has the same motor as the Ranger.

Josebd

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
Occupation
Road maintenance county
Ok,I ordered the jlt 3.0

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Truthfully all they are really doing is catching the condensation, that is it. If you use one in a humid enviroment you get a lot of dirty water. If you use one in a dry climate you get very little dirty water.
If it is actually water being caught, then why is it flammable when you throw it on a fire?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it is actually water being caught, then why is it flammable when you throw it on a fire?
Try throwing washer fluid on a fire.... its mostly water.
I'm not commenting on the content of the catchcan... just your question.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.

That is easy to get around if you really want to, just purchase another stock hose (uncut) and replace the modified one every 2 years for the smog check, then swap back, 10 minutes work. You don't even need to remove the can as if its not connected to the PCV system the Tech can't fail you for it.
Sponsored