Not as good as I thought it was. (MPG)

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Wow Steve you must have a heavy right foot. lol I really have no idea how I get such good mileage and I'm not all that light on the pedal either. I do a mix of city (60%) highway (40%) driving and still average 22 mpg. If you scroll through my sig you can see my Gasbuddy app where I've tracked it since new.
I just got 20.7mpg calculated on my last fillup. The computer said 20.9 mpg. I would estimate the last tank was 65-70% highway. The rest was mainly stop and go city driving. Typically, the computer says I am getting in the upper 18mpg range. The only way I would get close to 22 mpg, would be to drive a much higher percentage of highway miles than city. I would not be at all surprised if it would have to be 80% highway.
Sponsored

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Came back from a 350km (217 miles) trip with my tremor and averaged 10l/100km (23mpg) doing between 100-115km/h (60-70mph). I was very pleased with the millage since we're still on winter gas and having the bigger off-road tire that comes with the tremor.

RickB

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Absolute Black Ranger
Occupation
Aviation
I'm 700 miles in, and computer says 17.5 mpg. I do about 65 hwy/35 city driving. I got a leveling kit and running with 265/r17. Does it get better, or should I expect this. I thought I would be atkeast close to 20. Last fuel up, app told me I was getting 16.9.
My 21 Stock FX4 started out at about 19MPG. Now with 20K miles, at 75MPH I am getting 24.9 MPG on Highway

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just got 20.7mpg calculated on my last fillup. The computer said 20.9 mpg. I would estimate the last tank was 65-70% highway. The rest was mainly stop and go city driving. Typically, the computer says I am getting in the upper 18mpg range. The only way I would get close to 22 mpg, would be to drive a much higher percentage of highway miles than city. I would not be at all surprised if it would have to be 80% highway.
Yours is still new so give it time to break in. Mine took a few thousand miles before I noticed the mileage getting better.

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
Well sounds like there's hope. Compared to my last truck, 17. 5 is way better. I've read plenty of threads where guys like you are running the same setup as me and getting atleast 20mpg. I'll just ride it out and see where it goes from here. I don't go crazy on the pedal.
You have to drive for fuel economy to get into the 20s, especially when you move up in tires. I run LT265/70R17 on factory rims & suspension. I can get 24.5 at 65mph, 26.5 at 55 mph. Add in anything other than a highway cruise, and mileage drops quick.
Make a few quick passes on a 2 lane, and mileage drops fast. I'm averaging 20 mpg on 55mph 2 lane country roads and town lights & stops (not city stoplights every 1/4 or half mile).
But needing to get to work a little quicker or wanting to get home sooner a couple times a week, and I'm lucky to finish a tank at 18mpg.

Still not buying Hybrid or electric though. And still not getting rid of my old V10 F250 either.

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
OK
I have a 2021 Ranger STX FX4, only thing I did was install the Ford Performance exhaust and I get 25.8 on the highway doing 70 - 75 . Now with city driving I get 20.9. I have about 3500 miles on the truck so the millage may go up a tad.

raymonda70

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Sr.Buyer - Toshiba-Mitsubishi Electrical
Vehicle Showcase
2019, 35,500 miles, stock xlt, 95% city driving, 16 to 17 mpg with a light foot (most of the time)

Swishpapasweets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT,1998 Ford Ranger XLT
Tires that are not stock would typically hit mpg i put on some treadwright wardens and took a 2 point hit but damm I love those Tires

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I just checked my guage.

11.2 MPG. Impressive.

100% short city trips.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I'm 700 miles in, and computer says 17.5 mpg. I do about 65 hwy/35 city driving. I got a leveling kit and running with 265/r17. Does it get better, or should I expect this. I thought I would be atkeast close to 20. Last fuel up, app told me I was getting 16.9.
It will get slightly better as the engine breaks in.
If you have 265/70-17's you can adjust the computer with Forscan for that tire size, unless you did already. If you put on a taller tire without adjusting for it then the odometer will show less miles than you are actually travelling and your mpg will show less than you are actually getting.
Reset the mpg display at every fill-up. Averaging on less than a full tank of gas doesn't tell you much.
A level kit by itself will hurt gas mileage a little because of more wind resistance.
I never average less than 20 mpg on a tank of gas. I did find that mpg on 89 octane is slightly better, enough that it doesn't really cost more to run 89 than 87. Saw no difference with 93.

StokdGS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Telecom Mgr, Professional Auto Detailer
Tires will make a pretty big difference. I took a hit when I replace the stock Hankooks (which I hated) with Toyo AT3s. I love the new tires - they are great at what I bought the truck for (FS roads, snow, etc), but they did make me take about a 2 MPG hit. I'm hoping when the summer gas comes back it will improve. That also takes about 2 MPG, in my experience.

The biggest thing is keeping your foot out of it. It is hard to resist the urge to spin up the turbo....
Another thing to consider is the Weight of the tires... Some Brands weigh a lot more than others.. Michelins seem to weigh a lot more than Bridgestones, for example...
And then if you are going way bigger, well, there you have a lot of extra weight at each wheel to move forward...

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
2019 XLT TWO-Door….33,000 miles, bone-stock suspension still w/original Hanpoop tires, MBRP exhaust: 25 MPG @ 70mph.
(ASS disabled.)

Last edited:

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Do you crank it up and got wide open throttle to the corner store then do the same back?
You are either first or last.

I live in the Mountains and only drive my Ranger to the gym or Costco most of the time.

So its like how I used to walk to school, uphill both ways.

I will occasionally take longer drives, but that isn't factored into my 11 average.
Sponsored