First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Totally understandable that you did not want to void your warranty. Just understand that you no longer have a 5 year 60K powetrain warranty since that tuner turns your powertrain warranty into a 3 year 36K. As many will want to disagree with me it is true. With that said you have little chance that you will run unto major problems with that tune since it keeps the power level in a safe area.
Sponsored

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
I got the tune as it does help with the transmission wanting to stay in too high a gear too long under light acceleration. It felt like it was lugging at 1,200 rpm before the tune in some areas (slight hill at just the right speed). With the tune it will drop to a lower gear much faster. But I still normally drive in tow/haul mode as it appears to aim for a 1750+ rpm all the time, and I'm way more comfortable with my turbo 4cyl at that rpm.

I understood the odds of the factory power train being honored after 36k is low, but I'll try. And the 3rd party was clear that that would not impact my warranty with them since it is a Ford part number installed by a Ford dealer (or ASE tech). The way they spoke any other tune would auto void the warranty plan (didn't have to cause the problem or not).

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
All joking aside,
I bought a extended warranty to 60K when I bought the truck last November 2021.
I add the ford tune tomorrow and I revert to a 36k warranty even though I paid for an extended warranty?
How is that even right?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All joking aside,
I bought a extended warranty to 60K when I bought the truck last November 2021.
I add the ford tune tomorrow and I revert to a 36k warranty even though I paid for an extended warranty?
How is that even right?
All depends on what the extended warranty company will say. Most extended warranty companies will not accept any aftermarket add ons like Tunes and will be considered void if there is such on the vehicle. This is something many people have to deal with when adding stuff to thier vehicle.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I got the warranty through the ford dealer where I bought the truck

Reactions: Doc

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I put the Ford Tune on my 2019 Lariat right after it came out. I understood that Ford kept the tune within relatively safe limits, so the risk of tune-related breakdowns down the line was minimal (though not zero). As for the warranty issues caused by a Ford tune that Ford mechanics installed, I will deal with them if and when the time comes. In the meantime, I love the performance boost and the improved shifting. My truck is still rocking at 23,000 miles with absolutely no mechanical issues. So far, I bet on the tune and won...

WV_Ranger

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Caps title, misunderstands warranty (probably lied to by dealer) with Ford tune, and retired.

Yup. Officially a boomer thread.
Critiquing someone else's post, making assumptions, and calling them a boomer.

Yup. Officially a comment by an entitled millennial.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Critiquing someone else's post, making assumptions, and calling them a boomer.

Yup. Officially a comment by an entitled millennial.
I'm neither a boomer nor a millennial.

Lighten up Francis.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
i would like a tune that adds ZERO performance but does not allow the truck to drop below 1500 rpms so I could put the damn thing in "D" and just go without pushing extra buttons , can't see why something like that would void a warranty ,and it wouldn't, if it got as far as a jury or an actual thinking person...

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
All depends on what the extended warranty company will say. Most extended warranty companies will not accept any aftermarket add ons like Tunes and will be considered void if there is such on the vehicle. This is something many people have to deal with when adding stuff to thier vehicle.
And this is where the Ford Performance pack is a gray area, it's not 100% aftermarket when it has Ford's name on it and sold through the Ford website. It has 60% of Ford's backing. I say 60% due to 60k powertrain getting likely dropped to 36k. But some third-party warranty companies will see that as an official Ford part and, if installed properly, not a concern for the warranty.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I got the tune for the improved trans shifting, not for power and I still drive in T/H mode to keep the RPM's out of the gutter.

What it comes down to is Ford wanted a piece of the pie, aftermarket stuff is a real money maker, it's probably rare when somebody buys a new vehicle and doesn't add something to it, even if it's just a set of floor mats.

Reactions: Doc

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And this is where the Ford Performance pack is a gray area, it's not 100% aftermarket when it has Ford's name on it and sold through the Ford website. It has 60% of Ford's backing. I say 60% due to 60k powertrain getting likely dropped to 36k. But some third-party warranty companies will see that as an official Ford part and, if installed properly, not a concern for the warranty.
Actually because it is not the factory tune there is still a good possibility that the extended warraty company will say that the warranty is void if a tune is used. In order to find out all you have to do is read the fine print from the warranty company. This still applies for the Ford Extended warranty because it also is an aftermarket company that Ford contracted with. Think all you want about gray areas, if the company has it written down in the policy then you are screwed.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are you saying that even after the Ford tune , the rpms still drip below 1500 and it lugs?
The Ranger has an Automatic transmission. Unless the Transmission exploded it is not lugging

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Yes it does, it's better with the Ford tune, but it is still one of the worst trans shift strategies Ford has come out with, they have many of them, in fact I'm not sure they have ever had a good truck shift strategy, I'm serious, ever since the first electronically controlled transmission, Ford has had confused shift points.

Okay, that feels better, got my Ford trans rant in, that is the single most and really the only thing I have as a complaint about this truck, is it always trying to shift into as high of a gear as it can.

I may try the JDM tune after my warranty is out, he supposedly has a real good shift strategy for the Ranger, the JDM tune in my old Raptor had a brilliant trans shift strategy (another Ford truck with dumb shifting)
Sponsored