OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
For me, the ASS is the most irritating device I've ever experienced on a vehicle. After putting up with it for one year, I installed the AUTOSTOP ELIMINATOR. My intention is not to start another debate about environmental issues or the different methods in which to disable ASS but just to express my feelings. I will gladly take a hit in mpg's if that is a consequence. Now I'm getting a big savings in irritations...about 25 irritations less per gallon in city driving! :like: :crackup:

1649955444474.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
May times I've seen people say it's a false economy because of starter wear etc. So I did some math after turning mine back on when gas prices went up.... and seeing how it impacted my normal driving. I have also had a few so maybe I plugged in numbers wrong into excel.

Before, including idling and just random dumb. 18mpg average without ASS; 26 mpg best on a straight highway drive (hooray no 4wd?)

Thanks to Houston and the start stopping, bumped to 20mpg on average with ASS; 26 mpg best on a straight highway drive (hooray no 4wd?).. ASS didn't help because all highway again on a best run on a tank.. can't get past 26 manually calculated or on the dash....

******I know this won't be the same gains everyone gets from it. Live in the middle of nowhere with no stoplights or traffic, not the same gains*******

But let's say my starter dies at 100,001 miles.. right outside my warranty.

At 5k miles right now

5278 gallons at 18mpg to get to 100,001 miles

4750 gallons at 20mpg

Using 4 dollars a gallon for the midgrade I run. (Savings get better if gas prices increase....... )

2,111 dollars saved @ 4 dollars a gallon.

Starter price from a Ford website; 157.53ish dollars (cheap starter... sort of surprised really)

So it seems it can save money depending on a few variables. Even going by the starting dying at the worst case scenario for me. Right as the warranty ends

Combine that with realizing that the brake pressure issues most people don't like are a bit like my glock's trigger. Just need to learn when its break over points are for ASS and when it will hold itself at a stop (or send a .45 flying for the glock.... if you have a glock with a stock trigger you might know what I mean ) - you can manipulate the ASS system if turning right on red, etc. So I went from against it - to... for it now.

FORSCAN is still great for turning off the engine sounds and turning on bambi mode; so super happy to have that still.
You need to throw in battery and alternator wear rates as well. And possibly increased likelyhood of accidents ( truck strumbles upon startup into intersection, etc.). Not to mention the parts and repair cost increases over 7 years time.

Last edited: