Aftermarket exhaust that's just as quiet as stock?

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
🤣🤣🤣 facts lol. But if he wants meaningful help hes gonna need to not be lazy and give meaningful data we can interpret. Otherwise my answer will be your mpg is bad because of deez
Y'all, i'm genuinely very confused. I'm linking people directly to a post with LOTS of details, which are the answers to what y'all are asking for. Why is that considered lazy? :D
Come on now, really, i'm not sure what your expectation is beyond that...:p
Wouldn't it be lazy to not check out the post I took time to link to, as a direct attempt to give the details you all asked about?

Would it have been better for me to post a page of the same text every time someone asks? :p That will clutter the forum...
We are SUPPOSED to link posts specifically for this reason, to keep things organized and in the same topic thread...
So i'm baffled by the replies haha.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Steve l

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FX4 xlt
Y'all, i'm genuinely very confused. I'm linking people directly to a post with LOTS of details, which are the answers to what y'all are asking for. How is that lazy?
Come on now, really, i'm not sure what your expectation is beyond that:p
Isn't it lazy to not go check out the post that I took time to link to, to try and give you the details you asked?

Or do you want me to posts a page of the same text every time someone asks? That will clutter the forum.
We are SUPPOSED to link posts specifically for this reason, to keep things organized and in the same topic thread.
Your good!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
How do you know?
Logic. 3 inch downpipe reported noise level + reported Borla noise level = loud as crap

A 3 inch performance solution that's less than crap volume? ZZP resonator + big assed Magnaflow muffler.

Last edited:

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
I decided to use the Fuelly app on this trip. I was surprised to find an almost 2..5mpg difference between the app and the MPG reported by the displays. But then I never expected to get what ford claims anyway. They do some fancy bullshit deriving to get those numbers for the EPA. hypermilling will get you an additional 3-5mpg depending on how good you are at it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I decided to use the Fuelly app on this trip. I was surprised to find an almost 2..5mpg difference between the app and the MPG reported by the displays. But then I never expected to get what ford claims anyway. They do some fancy bullshit deriving to get those numbers for the EPA. hypermilling will get you an additional 3-5mpg depending on how good you are at it.
I have also noticed that if you try to drive for fuel mileage vs driving like a "Jack Wagon" you tend to do better with fuel mileage. Mind you I tend to be on the higher end of fuel mileage with my vehicles(conditions do vary of course)

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Y'all, i'm genuinely very confused. I'm linking people directly to a post with LOTS of details, which are the answers to what y'all are asking for. Why is that considered lazy? :D
Come on now, really, i'm not sure what your expectation is beyond that...:p
Wouldn't it be lazy to not check out the post I took time to link to, as a direct attempt to give the details you all asked about?

Would it have been better for me to post a page of the same text every time someone asks? :p That will clutter the forum...
We are SUPPOSED to link posts specifically for this reason, to keep things organized and in the same topic thread...
So i'm baffled by the replies haha.
I agree with OP pointing to the mileage post. Why rehash everything on this thread, with a different topoic?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree with OP pointing to the mileage post. Why rehash everything on this thread, with a different topoic?
If that's the case why start a different thread in the first place?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Uh well, because it was a different topic. Quiet exhaust vs. mileage. It just happened to shift to mileage unintentionally I'm sure.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Exactly as @got3fords wrote also, I was asking about what quiet aftermarket exhausts exist. ("Is there an aftermarket exhaust / downpipe combo that's just as quiet as stock?")
I wasn't asking to fix mpg in general in this thread; though i did appreciate the posts the talk about pros/cons/experiences of exhausts relating to mpg.

When people asked about my overall broader vehicle setup (tires, suspension, fuel, etc) -- which are good questions of course -- naturally i'm happy to talk about that :), so i pointed to the mpg thread to answer that content. I remain utterly confused why i was called lazy over that :D

(Also, no name calling please! Saying i'm "lazy" isn't needed...)

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Uh well, because it was a different topic. Quiet exhaust vs. mileage. It just happened to shift to mileage unintentionally I'm sure.
Unintentional you say? Then how come he stated it was about mileage as well in the first post?

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Unintentional you say? Then how come he stated it was about mileage as well in the first post?
I'm right here 👋 and can also take questions directly :p

1) @Frenchy , I gave background to my post for why i'm asking, as is standard. If I didn't, people would say "We need context to be able to help you; why are you asking, and what are you trying to do?"
Are you saying that people can't differentiate between background context, and the question?
I posed an unambiguous single question:
"Is there an aftermarket exhaust / downpipe combo that's just as quiet as stock?"

So, per proper post etiquette, I gave 3 pieces of info in my post:
a) Background (context)
b) Main question
c) What research i've done...to show that i'm not being lazy and asking people to repeat themselves.

Ironically, (3) is exactly what some of you are asking me to do: repeat myself, and then complain and call me a name, when i've taken the time to provide a link to a post that directly answers your question, and without cluttering the thread with repetition.

2) This is really a waste of time to talk about; feel free to ignore this thread if you won't contribute to the content...

I continue to try to help create a civil forum environment by
- being polite
- calling people out when someone calls others names, which i've always done when I see it, and now for myself when I was called "lazy"
- trying to maintain forum standards for posting and linking.

If you have some recommendation for me to improve how I'm going about this, happy to listen, and please mention it to me directly by responding to one of my posts :) -- instead of replying to others' posts but talking about me as though I weren't here =)

3) Come on, I've been on here for years and you've seen my posts, we've interacted on threads, and hopefully you know I try to contribute without drama. What did I ever do haha to deserve this level of nitpicking. I understand if it's just a bad day, as that happens...

Last edited:

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I'm looking to improve mpg on my 2wd '21 XLT (i've posted on here about its terrible 18 mpg highway mileage, and tried a dozen things to fix it with all your help, with no success)

Is there an aftermarket exhaust / downpipe combo that's just as quiet as stock? I live in a quiet neighborhood, and also generally just don't like the sound of a loud exhaust :D
I might also be using the wrong terms...i'm just learning about exhausts for the first time...

I read some threads like this one that talks about borla and magnaflow, and downpipes in this thread, but it wasn't clear what the conclusions were for what's the best combination for increasing mpg while keeping stock nois.
Gibson Cat-Back dual exit exhaust. MPG increase about 1.5.
Fun-ability increase 100%!

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Gibson Cat-Back dual exit exhaust. MPG increase about 1.5.
Fun-ability increase 100%!

Thanks for the videos!
It's tricky to compare the video to stock, since i'm not sure what your mic sensitivity is like, but it seems like stock noise when idle or normal driving, and louder when accelerating hard.
Anecdotally, what did you notice in terms of noise?

Also, do you have any other mod with this, like cold air intake? Or just the exhaust by itself?