FORD TUNER, I WENT WITH THIS SO AS TO NOT VOID THE WARRANTY

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
The Ranger has an Automatic transmission. Unless the Transmission exploded it is not lugging
yes , I know that, "lugging " is the term used here to describe 7th gear at 15mph , but yes , it's not really lugging because the throttle can overcome the low rpms , unlike my old Toyota in 5th ...
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Yes it does, it's better with the Ford tune, but it is still one of the worst trans shift strategies Ford has come out with, they have many of them, in fact I'm not sure they have ever had a good truck shift strategy, I'm serious, ever since the first electronically controlled transmission, Ford has had confused shift points.

Okay, that feels better, got my Ford trans rant in, that is the single most and really the only thing I have as a complaint about this truck, is it always trying to shift into as high of a gear as it can.

I may try the JDM tune after my warranty is out, he supposedly has a real good shift strategy for the Ranger, the JDM tune in my old Raptor had a brilliant trans shift strategy (another Ford truck with dumb shifting)
well you may have saved me , I was considering that Ford tune , but I'll just keep hitting tow and sport if it doesn't fix the shift ... hell , it may be just low on fluid but the dealer just shrugged their shoulders and I don't really want to put on a firesuit and welding gloves just to check it ...

Reactions: Doc

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
This is direct from the Ford ESP. Interpret as you wish, especially 7.b and 7.e.4
Ford ESP S7.png

Ford ESP S7-2.png

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
i would like a tune that adds ZERO performance but does not allow the truck to drop below 1500 rpms so I could put the damn thing in "D" and just go without pushing extra buttons , can't see why something like that would void a warranty ,and it wouldn't, if it got as far as a jury or an actual thinking person...
You can take that up with the EPA, as the CAFE standards are what is driving the dysfunctional "features" like "Auto Start-Stop!!!" and the ECU's maniacal determination to get the transmission into the absolute highest possible gear under all circumstances. It is all driven to allow the truck get the highest mileage figure possible on the certification test. This is the same reason they are FORCING EVs on us. (How many Miles per Gallon does an Electric Vehicle get? What does adding a bunch of INFINITY data points do to a Fleet Average fuel economy calculation? Why does it matter?)

Ford knows these "features" are annoying to a lot of people, reduce drivability, and have other adverse effects, so they give us "customizable" options like the Tow/Haul button, Disable Auto Start-Stop, S Mode, etc. to allow us to select how we would like our vehicles to operate, but Nanny State EPA says, if the user settings persist beyond the end of the drive cycle, then they are not allowed to use the default (Hyper Fuel Efficiency) settings to pass the certification.

Ford wants to give us smooth, drivable vehicles with decent power and drivability, with good gas mileage. But the EPA, because they make the rules (Technically Congress makes the Laws, but the various agencies are granted great deference in the interpretation and enforcement of them, so the Agency ends up as the de facto rule maker AND enforcer) basically FORCE the automakers to conform or get put out of business. There is a word for this, where the government forces compliance with supra-legal diktats promulgated by unelected bureaucrats and enforced by the "business community". It is how things operated in Mussolini's Italy. You can look up the word for yourself.

So, as a result of the above, we the (nominal) owner of the vehicle end up with an extensive pre-flight checklist of settings to re-engage before we can drive our vehicles set up like WE want them to be.

The Government is not the only offender here (I do NOT want Sirius XM, and I get irritated at the persistent advertising blasts I am periodically subjected to when my phone fails to connect expeditiously.) I'm sure Ford is compensated for shafting us with Sirius XM, but they would love to do things differently in the Engine Controls department, I'd imagine. Take it up with your Representatives and Senators.

ag61952

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
I put the Ford Tune on my 2019 Lariat right after it came out. I understood that Ford kept the tune within relatively safe limits, so the risk of tune-related breakdowns down the line was minimal (though not zero). As for the warranty issues caused by a Ford tune that Ford mechanics installed, I will deal with them if and when the time comes. In the meantime, I love the performance boost and the improved shifting. My truck is still rocking at 23,000 miles with absolutely no mechanical issues. So far, I bet on the tune and won...
Hows the mpg for you? Ifve had a good decrease in mpg after installing my tune

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Alex, I did a bunch of other mods (the Velossa Big Mouth, heavier tires, etc.) around the time that I started running the tune, so it is hard to say what impact it alone had. Plus, I have been working from home since the pandemic started, which means fewer daily drives on the freeway (in Drive) and much more local driving (in Sport). At this point, running 93, and with the AS/S off, I am averaging just under 19 MPG, about what I was getting pre-tune, which not going to set any records but is alright with me. It stands to reason that the increased power that the tune gets out of the engine is going to come with a decrease in mileage, but I cannot say for sure how much in my case.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
TOMDEE

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
i average 9 litres per 100 kms as i'm in Canada. So roughly 26mpg but again, that's Canadian gallons which are bigger than American gallons. That's using 91 octane but I'm very gentle on the pedal unless i'm on a two lane highway and the old fart in front of me is 20 under the limit.

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase
Ford Tune is approved
Your vehicle in your profile says 2109 lariat. Maybe you could correct it to the correct year 2019. It's been pointed out multiple times, but you keep missing the point.

Thanks

Frank

OP
OP
TOMDEE

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
Your vehicle in your profile says 2109 lariat. Maybe you could correct it to the correct year 2019. It's been pointed out multiple times, but you keep missing the point.

Thanks

Frank

2019-2021 RANGER ECOBOOST POWER PACK PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION
M-9603-REB_HP.jpg

M-9603-REB_TORQUE.jpg

M-12655-F.jpg

M-12655-F_B.jpg

M-12655-F_C.jpg

M-9603-REB.jpg

M-9603-REB_HP.jpg

M-9603-REB
BUY NOW

Retail
$900.00
Sold in Units of
Each (1)
Instruction Sheet
Available (PDF)
Sign in to add to wish list
50_States_Street_Legal-(100).png
The “Fifty States Street Legal” icon means that this part has been determined by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) not to have an adverse effect on emissions when installed and used properly in the application(s) identified in the product description. Under EPA and CARB policy, such parts may be installed in vehicles driven on public roads and highways.

Ford Performance calibration for 2019-2021 Ranger EcoBoost. The Ford Performance engineered performance calibration is a 50 state legal calibration for your 2019-2021 Ford Ranger that increases power and improves drive-ability throughout the rpm range.
  • 50 state legal - C.A.R.B. EO#: D-752-16
  • Ford Performance engineered and dyno tested
  • Improved drive-ability and throttle response throughout RPM range
  • Optimized shift schedule
  • Horsepower gain: 45 HP @ 4,500 RPM
  • Torque gain: 60 lb/ft @ 2,500 RPM
  • For U.S. and Canadian vehicles
  • Comes with Ford Performance 3yr/36k mile warranty from new vehicle in-service when installed by a Ford dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician

OP
OP
TOMDEE

TOMDEE

Banned
Banned
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 lariat
Occupation
retired
1662636284452.jpeg

2019-2021 RANGER ECOBOOST POWER PACK PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION
M-9603-REB_HP.jpg

M-9603-REB_TORQUE.jpg

M-12655-F.jpg

M-12655-F_B.jpg

M-12655-F_C.jpg

M-9603-REB.jpg

M-9603-REB_HP.jpg

M-9603-REB
BUY NOW

Retail
$900.00
Sold in Units of
Each (1)
Instruction Sheet
Available (PDF)
Sign in to add to wish list
50_States_Street_Legal-(100).png
The “Fifty States Street Legal” icon means that this part has been determined by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) not to have an adverse effect on emissions when installed and used properly in the application(s) identified in the product description. Under EPA and CARB policy, such parts may be installed in vehicles driven on public roads and highways.

Ford Performance calibration for 2019-2021 Ranger EcoBoost. The Ford Performance engineered performance calibration is a 50 state legal calibration for your 2019-2021 Ford Ranger that increases power and improves drive-ability throughout the rpm range.
  • 50 state legal - C.A.R.B. EO#: D-752-16
  • Ford Performance engineered and dyno tested
  • Improved drive-ability and throttle response throughout RPM range
  • Optimized shift schedule
  • Horsepower gain: 45 HP @ 4,500 RPM
  • Torque gain: 60 lb/ft @ 2,500 RPM
  • For U.S. and Canadian vehicles
  • Comes with Ford Performance 3yr/36k mile warranty from new vehicle in-service when installed by a Ford dealer or ASE/Red Seal certified technician

Highlander

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Shadow Black Lariat 501A TREMOR
Occupation
Private
Vehicle Showcase

k_teven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Does anybody know if this would apply similarly for increasing the size of the intercooler for the turbo? Would this be considered a modification to the engine that shortens the warranty life?
Sponsored