First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The best part of this whole argument is people assuming others use.

I have actually only used the front 2 in my truck three times, but I use the middle two (that were missing upon purchase) constantly to secure my off-road gear in the bed against the cargo bar. I haven't used the rear two once yet.
So, you could have lived with four, right?
Sponsored

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
So, you could have lived with four, right?
No, not in the installed configuration. It still would've required removing and reinstalling two of them to a more useful location. Eventually the rear 2 will get used, I used them plenty of times on my old F-150 and Ranger, but I haven't run into a situation that I need them yet. If they would've installed front and middle 2 tie-downs it would've been more useful than only front and rear IMHO.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Yeah. I wonder how well they're balancing long term vs short term financials. They're saving a buck here and a buck there, and also making me seriously question buying another ford because I'd be wondering how much stuff they took out to save a buck. Do the other brands take out "one more thing" every few months of production and I just don't pay attention? I guess I just expect that each new year adds a little bit, not makes the product a little bit worse.
My problem is, how many people take their Ranger in for engine noise ( I know there are post on this forum and youtube ) injectors etc., that would not have taken them in with this $10 engine cover? Ford still pays for a "No problem found" or "Normal" diag. Are they spending $4 to save $1 by eliminating the cover? Or does the cover not do much? I don't really hear my injectors inside the truck, but when I walk up to it with it running remote start, or especially with the hood open, it's noticeable. Normal to me, but probably not to a lot of people who don't know better.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I glanced through the posts here, but didn't see anyone mentioning anything about "heat"! I don't know what the incidence of turbo failures there are officially, but my local dealer told me it was occurring mostly on the Lariat models. That fact alone speaks volumes.
Think Lariat’s also have soundproofing on the hood. Depending on the material used it could possibly be turning the engine bay into an ez bake oven! ?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I glanced through the posts here, but didn't see anyone mentioning anything about "heat"! I don't know what the incidence of turbo failures there are officially, but my local dealer told me it was occurring mostly on the Lariat models. That fact alone speaks volumes.
Think Lariat’s also have soundproofing on the hood. Depending on the material used it could possibly be turning the engine bay into an ez bake oven! ?
If only there were some sort of fan
Yeah, I'm not worried about "extra heat" under the hood. With an XLT and no cover, etc, the engine bay gets too hot to touch easily in offroading and similar situations. There's no reasonable way an engine cover is hurting the turbo. Maaaaaybe the hood, but that's present in the XLT as well, so I doubt that would be a contributor too.

Also given most dealers' knowledge as a whole and the rangers, I'm not generally inclined to put much weight on a single dealer calling out a specific model of Ranger having particular issues over another across shared components.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
If only there were some sort of fan
Oh man, that brought back a memory of the big 'ole straight 6 carbureted Land Cruisers I used to work on.
They had an under hood fan directed at the intake side to help in vapor lock and high under hood temps. Came in handy I bet on the prairies of S. Africa.
But you know we all have that big roaring thing we all hear at start up. No worries.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of stuff that comes on a vehicle is unnecessary and should have been an accessory add on. I bought a truck to drive and haul stuff where I want to go and do what I want to do. NOT, for styling and profiling, or keeping up with the Royal wannabees. I am not afraid to look at or hear the engine or need help lowering the tailgate. LOL The engine cover looks like a good place for a rat to build the nest. They might even like to chew on it as a change from your wires. :rolleyes:
PS to get the most value from your engine cover you need to open the hood at least once a week and look at it and clean it. Oh, and take it off and see what is growing under it. :clap:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of stuff that comes on a vehicle is unnecessary and should have been an accessory add on. I bought a truck to drive and haul stuff where I want to go and do what I want to do. NOT, for styling and profiling, or keeping up with the Royal wannabees. I am not afraid to look at or hear the engine or need help lowering the tailgate. LOL The engine cover looks like a good place for a rat to build the nest. They might even like to chew on it as a change from your wires. :rolleyes:
PS to get the most value from your engine cover you need to open the hood at least once a week and look at it and clean it. Oh, and take it off and see what is growing under it. :clap:
Hi Thom,

At one time we had a laundry list of options from which to choose...and the exceptions and some in clusions required for an option. Customers complained it was just too difficult and time consuming to order a vehicle. Thus Packages were created to reduce the pain of ordering a vehicle... Packages have been more warmly received but the downside is they may include features you do not desire or need... Sort of a can't win situation.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Thom,

At one time we had a laundry list of options from which to choose...and the exceptions and some in clusions required for an option. Customers complained it was just too difficult and time consuming to order a vehicle. Thus Packages were created to reduce the pain of ordering a vehicle... Packages have been more warmly received but the downside is they may include features you do not desire or need... Sort of a can't win situation.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You are of course exactally right Phil.
I wanted to get Cruise on my ranger but, had to buy a package to get it. The sales people say that packages are a deal cause you get more bang for your buck. Or maybe Ford gets more bang for their buck. I am sort of anal about my vehicles, that is why I spent many hours pouring over the ordering page.

:) Thank you for your your insight into the inner workings of the Auto industry. I am sure that the web owner is so thankful for your input, I am. :)

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Sorry, but this is a little amusing to me. I own a 18 Mustang and a lot of Mustang owners take off the cover, throw it away or give it away. They have no value. It may have a little to do with most aftermarket air intakes require cutting or removing the cover.
Same. Mine's been on the shelf since I got my mustang, along with the hood liner. I like the mechanical look of the motor more than some cover. I was absolutely fine with my xl ranger being uncovered.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
The fact that we're at 9 pages and counting here kind of goes to show it's a decision that makes most people scratch their heads. Unless it was a supply issue or functional decision due to heat issues etc (I doubt either), you'd think the decision would be whether or not to add it to all trims vs. pulling it from the Lariat too. Come on Ford, if anything take some pride in how the engine bay looks in vehicle reviews.
I ordered a '21 Lariat last month after almost ordering a '20 last year and it was certainly disappointing to see what was pulled from the '21 offering, especially after what was already taken on the '20s. I'm in Canada and will definitely miss the heated wiper park I had been looking forward to. How about Ford actually adding a single feature like a heated steering wheel and making the damn Lariat a Lariat. I mean, even low level Kia's have them. I find it really annoying when features that are standard on other models in lower trims don't come on a top trim, especially if you're willing to pay for it. At least my dealer said they'll add the two extra tie downs if missing upon delivery.
My rant as a soon to be a first time Ranger owner...

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered a '21 Lariat last month after almost ordering a '20 last year and it was certainly disappointing to see what was pulled from the '21 offering, especially after what was already taken on the '20s. I'm in Canada and will definitely miss the heated wiper park I had been looking forward to. ....
Most of my recent Subarus have the heated wiper elements on the lower windsheild. I was annoyed Ford deleted this also. My concerns were validated over recent driving in winter conditions. The wipers freeze up (rubber hardens) too much in snow and freezing weather. You can hear the wipers start to skip along the windshield, and not clear the snow/rain/ice mix as well. The solution is to run the washer fluid frequently to thaw out the windshield and wipers. I love this truck, but I do not agree with Ford dropping minor features each year to nickel and dime their savings. Subaru seems to do the opposite, and each subsequent model year will trickle minor features down to lower trims, to keep the customers interested.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Most of my recent Subarus have the heated wiper elements on the lower windsheild. I was annoyed Ford deleted this also. My concerns were validated over recent driving in winter conditions. The wipers freeze up (rubber hardens) too much in snow and freezing weather. You can hear the wipers start to skip along the windshield, and not clear the snow/rain/ice mix as well. The solution is to run the washer fluid frequently to thaw out the windshield and wipers. I love this truck, but I do not agree with Ford dropping minor features each year to nickel and dime their savings. Subaru seems to do the opposite, and each subsequent model year will trickle minor features down to lower trims, to keep the customers interested.
Gotta maintain/fatten those healthy margins on trucks to fund the development of EVs . No engine cover needed on an electric vehicle - those motors are pretty quiet.

Reactions: EJH

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
@EJH yes exactly! I thought that was how things are supposed to go on subsequent MY's. I have also seen that from owning Subaru's actually (parting with my '08 STi when my truck comes in). Subaru has been doing the heated wiper park thing for like 40 years or something now. It also seems odd to me to axe that while there are features like adaptive cruise control, trail control, auto high beams etc. Also you have to pull over to operate the sliding rear window...the truck is a Lariat in some ways and a base model in others. I'm sure I'll still love it though.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH