TSB: SSM 47798 - 2019 Ranger - Only Lariat Trim Levels Are Equipped With An Engine Cover

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
SSM 47798 - 2019 Ranger - Only Lariat Trim Levels Are Equipped With An Engine Cover

2019 XL and XLT trim level Rangers do not come equipped with an engine cover. Only the Lariat trim level has this feature. The vehicle is not misbuilt. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER
Sponsored

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
SSM 47798 - 2019 Ranger - Only Lariat Trim Levels Are Equipped With An Engine Cover

2019 XL and XLT trim level Rangers do not come equipped with an engine cover. Only the Lariat trim level has this feature. The vehicle is not misbuilt. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
Why does only the Lariat have this cover and the other trim models (XL & XLT have the same engine) does not? What is the function of this engine cover?

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Why does only the Lariat have this cover and the other trim models (XL & XLT have the same engine) does not? What is the function of this engine cover?
I believe the thinking was that it dampens the noise from the engine a bit. It sounds like they did the same thing on the F-150s. It just seems like a cheezy way to save a couple bucks to me.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree. Ford should start thinking the way we see it. "Cheezy". All the competitors have an engine cover on all trim levels. Yes, I understand the start up production costs of getting this truck built, but geeez.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't believe the omission of the Engine cover was entirely motivated by saving a few $$. I think Ford wanted to silence the engine noise a bit more in the Lariat package hence it got it and the others didn't.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I don't believe the omission of the Engine cover was entirely motivated by saving a few $$. I think Ford wanted to silence the engine noise a bit more in the Lariat package hence it got it and the others didn't.
I wonder if the Lariat has other sound deadening features that we just don't know about.

Has anyone driven the different trim levels and noticed any difference?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wonder if the Lariat has other sound deadening features that we just don't know about.

Has anyone driven the different trim levels and noticed any difference?
I did notice the Lariat engine hood has weatherstripping all around except for the air intake. Not sure if the lower models have that or not but the hood and weather striping looks like it seals off the engine compartment on the Lariat I examined.

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt fx4 and a 2018 Ford f 150 xlt fx4
On all the YouTube videos from last year all trim levels had the cover ... I was pissed when my truck did not have it ... just ordered one from dealership 48 bucks after tax with the studs and nuts ... going to paint it like a flag ..

Crismac

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Ford Ranger XLT, 2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Railroad Conductor
On all the YouTube videos from last year all trim levels had the cover ... I was pissed when my truck did not have it ... just ordered one from dealership 48 bucks after tax with the studs and nuts ... going to paint it like a flag ..
I ordered mine today $45 I forgot to ask does the studs and nuts come with it or did you order it separately?

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Studs and nuts are separate .. you need to use them don’t try to cheat .. the way the cover mates up to it is to dreaden sound if you try something aftermarket it won’t fit right

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
You dont need that cover probably a lot of them get thrown away in a year. Just Turn up the radio a little.

Julie dominesey

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You dont need that cover probably a lot of them get thrown away in a year. Just Turn up the radio a little.
It really quiets it down .. very noticeable... and looks a lot better than the rats nest of wires

Tarawadet

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger
Would someone post a picture of the engine bay without the cover?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
In layman's terms do we know what this tsb is for? I have a lariat. Have about 400 miles on it and the engine suddenly developed a strange noise. Definitely motor related. It's a low vibrating buzz as if a hidden belt had a fray rubbing against plastic. The tone goes up and down a bit with RPM. Hard to hear at idle but the moment you start pulling away ( no mashing gas required) the noise picks up. Wife hears it too from passenger seat. I hear it more on the drivers side straight in front of the steering wheel. No warning lights and no drivability issues

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
Sponsored