First Name
Phil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A lot of stuff that comes on a vehicle is unnecessary and should have been an accessory add on. I bought a truck to drive and haul stuff where I want to go and do what I want to do. NOT, for styling and profiling, or keeping up with the Royal wannabees. I am not afraid to look at or hear the engine or need help lowering the tailgate. LOL The engine cover looks like a good place for a rat to build the nest. They might even like to chew on it as a change from your wires. :rolleyes:
PS to get the most value from your engine cover you need to open the hood at least once a week and look at it and clean it. Oh, and take it off and see what is growing under it. :clap:
Hi Thom,

At one time we had a laundry list of options from which to choose...and the exceptions and some in clusions required for an option. Customers complained it was just too difficult and time consuming to order a vehicle. Thus Packages were created to reduce the pain of ordering a vehicle... Packages have been more warmly received but the downside is they may include features you do not desire or need... Sort of a can't win situation.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Advertisement

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 1996 Ford 1t Powerstroke 4X4, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Thom,

At one time we had a laundry list of options from which to choose...and the exceptions and some in clusions required for an option. Customers complained it was just too difficult and time consuming to order a vehicle. Thus Packages were created to reduce the pain of ordering a vehicle... Packages have been more warmly received but the downside is they may include features you do not desire or need... Sort of a can't win situation.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
You are of course exactally right Phil.
I wanted to get Cruise on my ranger but, had to buy a package to get it. The sales people say that packages are a deal cause you get more bang for your buck. Or maybe Ford gets more bang for their buck. I am sort of anal about my vehicles, that is why I spent many hours pouring over the ordering page.

:) Thank you for your your insight into the inner workings of the Auto industry. I am sure that the web owner is so thankful for your input, I am. :)

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Sorry, but this is a little amusing to me. I own a 18 Mustang and a lot of Mustang owners take off the cover, throw it away or give it away. They have no value. It may have a little to do with most aftermarket air intakes require cutting or removing the cover.
Same. Mine's been on the shelf since I got my mustang, along with the hood liner. I like the mechanical look of the motor more than some cover. I was absolutely fine with my xl ranger being uncovered.

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi, 2018 Mercedes GLC
Occupation
Engineer
The fact that we're at 9 pages and counting here kind of goes to show it's a decision that makes most people scratch their heads. Unless it was a supply issue or functional decision due to heat issues etc (I doubt either), you'd think the decision would be whether or not to add it to all trims vs. pulling it from the Lariat too. Come on Ford, if anything take some pride in how the engine bay looks in vehicle reviews.
I ordered a '21 Lariat last month after almost ordering a '20 last year and it was certainly disappointing to see what was pulled from the '21 offering, especially after what was already taken on the '20s. I'm in Canada and will definitely miss the heated wiper park I had been looking forward to. How about Ford actually adding a single feature like a heated steering wheel and making the damn Lariat a Lariat. I mean, even low level Kia's have them. I find it really annoying when features that are standard on other models in lower trims don't come on a top trim, especially if you're willing to pay for it. At least my dealer said they'll add the two extra tie downs if missing upon delivery.
My rant as a soon to be a first time Ranger owner...

EJH

First Name
Ed
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered a '21 Lariat last month after almost ordering a '20 last year and it was certainly disappointing to see what was pulled from the '21 offering, especially after what was already taken on the '20s. I'm in Canada and will definitely miss the heated wiper park I had been looking forward to. ....
Most of my recent Subarus have the heated wiper elements on the lower windsheild. I was annoyed Ford deleted this also. My concerns were validated over recent driving in winter conditions. The wipers freeze up (rubber hardens) too much in snow and freezing weather. You can hear the wipers start to skip along the windshield, and not clear the snow/rain/ice mix as well. The solution is to run the washer fluid frequently to thaw out the windshield and wipers. I love this truck, but I do not agree with Ford dropping minor features each year to nickel and dime their savings. Subaru seems to do the opposite, and each subsequent model year will trickle minor features down to lower trims, to keep the customers interested.

dtech

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4 abundantly chromed, Saab 9-5, Hyundai Sante Fe (all turbos)
Most of my recent Subarus have the heated wiper elements on the lower windsheild. I was annoyed Ford deleted this also. My concerns were validated over recent driving in winter conditions. The wipers freeze up (rubber hardens) too much in snow and freezing weather. You can hear the wipers start to skip along the windshield, and not clear the snow/rain/ice mix as well. The solution is to run the washer fluid frequently to thaw out the windshield and wipers. I love this truck, but I do not agree with Ford dropping minor features each year to nickel and dime their savings. Subaru seems to do the opposite, and each subsequent model year will trickle minor features down to lower trims, to keep the customers interested.
Gotta maintain/fatten those healthy margins on trucks to fund the development of EVs . No engine cover needed on an electric vehicle - those motors are pretty quiet.

Reactions: EJH

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
@EJH yes exactly! I thought that was how things are supposed to go on subsequent MY's. I have also seen that from owning Subaru's actually (parting with my '08 STi when my truck comes in). Subaru has been doing the heated wiper park thing for like 40 years or something now. It also seems odd to me to axe that while there are features like adaptive cruise control, trail control, auto high beams etc. Also you have to pull over to operate the sliding rear window...the truck is a Lariat in some ways and a base model in others. I'm sure I'll still love it though.

Reactions: EJH

Doctorfong

First Name
Wayne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX/FX4 (Wife's Car 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth)
Occupation
Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Got mine from the dealer when I got my truck. Maybe they felt bad since I wasn't notified when it arrived. I have a XL/STX/FX4

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Got mine from the dealer when I got my truck. Maybe they felt bad since I wasn't notified when it arrived. I have a XL/STX/FX4
I ordered mine late January.
Don't know when it actually came in because my dealer didn't notify me either. I just called the parts dept. out of the blue to check on when it MIGHT arrive, and it was magically there.
Truck is way smoother now with the cover installed. Just sayin'... ;)

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I ordered mine late January.
Don't know when it actually came in because my dealer didn't notify me either. I just called the parts dept. out of the blue to check on when it MIGHT arrive, and it was magically there.
Truck is way smoother now with the cover installed. Just sayin'... ;)
Lol I've had a cover sitting here in a box for a couple of weeks now and my truck isn't coming until May. I expect the price will be going up on them and availability may decline as well. See them on ebay for a mint soon enough ha..

Blmpkn

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread contain so much complaining about such a first world problem before.. christ.

SUCH A DIFFICULT EXISTENCE THIS IS, OMG

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 1996 Ford 1t Powerstroke 4X4, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked my engine cover up today. Install was super easy. Going to go for a drive and see if its quieter or not.

20210222_132657.jpg
Can you cook pies in that. Nice artificial smell to go with artificial sound. Put it in the Mod category.

Advertisement

Advertisement