No more engine cover for the Lariat

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Might hit you up once mine arrives and I see for myself how it attaches. They wanted like 15 bucks for a nut! I could machine one out of titanium for less than that!
np. have actually had a few inquire. to all reading i believe i have two paks but were not in the place i thought..I will need to dig a bit deeper. Im pretty certain i did not toss out. my garage is a wood shop, metal shop, gunsmith shop, bar/dart lounge, auto shop..etc.

Advertisement

Larrykime

First Name
Larry
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SCab Lariat 4X2, 2019 MX5, 2008 Expedition
Occupation
Crane Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
Add to this list of things removed between 2019 and 2021.

2 tie down hooks,
pegs to hold passenger floor mats
Lighted gear shift selection lever
Heated wipers
Folding rear seat head rest (Supercab)
Ranger embossed on leather seats
Ecoboost emblem
Engine cover
Front tow hooks (4X2 Lariats non FX2)
Ranger on the bottom of the windshield (sound shield per ford markings)

Black Lug nuts on the black appearance package. (if they ever had them)

Things you pay for and do not get:
B&O sound system in the Supercab.

These are the things that I have noticed.

If there is not a big model change for 2022, What else could they remover from the truck without a lot pf people complaining? Better not say, they could take these ideas and run with them.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
These are the things that I have noticed.
That's a big part of it for me--unlike some, I don't assume that the only corners cut are the obvious things. Once a company starts cutting corners to pinch every penny, you've really got to wonder what they've cut that you don't notice. All of a sudden they've gone from the company you used to trust to some wal-mart pusher of cheap crap sold for more than it's worth.

jblc

First Name
JB
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab, 1997 Ranger XLT longbed
Don't forget our rear seat head rests fold down and our passenger side floor mats have pins to hold them in place too.

Not cool, Ford.
I had no idea earlier versions had a fold-down headrest.
I looked for videos online, but didn't see any in operation.
Are these available aftermarket, and/or compatible with newer versions that don't have it?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport
Occupation
Engineering
I had no idea earlier versions had a fold-down headrest.
I looked for videos online, but didn't see any in operation.
Are these available aftermarket, and/or compatible with newer versions that don't have it?
Nope, the guts of them have the mechanism to flip but the peg buttons and grommet on the side is missing from them. There is a thread on here discussing it and how to fix them so they work. It appears a month or so ago is when they cheapened them up even more and they stay upright only.

I’m doing a mod to mine to get a grommet and a button you can see so it’s like they were originally. I’ll post a new thread once I do it to give others Ideas of their own

PL8SWPR

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT, '18 Mustang GT, '14 Ford Explorer
Sorry, but this is a little amusing to me. I own a 18 Mustang and a lot of Mustang owners take off the cover, throw it away or give it away. They have no value. It may have a little to do with most aftermarket air intakes require cutting or removing the cover.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport
Occupation
Engineering
Sorry, but this is a little amusing to me. I own a 18 Mustang and a lot of Mustang owners take off the cover, throw it away or give it away. They have no value. It may have a little to do with most aftermarket air intakes require cutting or removing the cover.
It’s somewhat of a safety issue. Super Cabs have a very small back seat. You can fit kids back there but if no headrests there is potential for them to have their little noggins go through the rear window.

So, by getting them to fold easily then removing and reinserting them is easy peasy. Otherwise you got to unbolt the back of the seat to get enough clearance to get them out!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
FOUND THEM!! :like:
For those of you looking for the engine cover nuts part number #W520201-S450B I currently have [4] of them. If I recall correctly the cover install requires [2]..You will need to verify that is indeed the nut you need. I DO NOT have any engine covers or studs.
IM me directly so we can work out the details if anyone is interested.

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
I see this deletion and now question what other components have taken a back seat to quality for a penny. Makes you wonder what changes may be going on in say, the motor. It has me on the fence on buying another Ford product.

It is crazy the cost cutting going on at Ford yet their prices are skyrocketing. For reference, my 2018 GT was backed into and there was a question of it getting totaled. The car only has 7k miles on it so I went back and forth with the insurance company on cost of replacement. A similar optioned/packaged GT for 2021 is $6k more than 2018. That is roughly a 5% price increase every year. I've looked at a bunch of other manufacturers and none have this much of a year to year price increase from 2019 to 2021.

Gizmokid2005

Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I had a '15 Ecoboost, and the mustang was silent compared to the ranger's 2.3L. The pump/injector noise on cold starts would be concerning if it wasn't normal for this engine, I never once had it on my Mustang. I was going to paint mine up in the car at some point but never got around to it.

I can get the cover locally for $0.20 cheaper than Levittown will sell it (plus no $25 shipping charge) - but it looks like it's just the cover for that price, not with the studs/nuts, so it would be more overall to buy it locally.

Toytec

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
I see this deletion and now question what other components have taken a back seat to quality for a penny. Makes you wonder what changes may be going on in say, the motor. It has me on the fence on buying another Ford product.

It is crazy the cost cutting going on at Ford yet their prices are skyrocketing. For reference, my 2018 GT was backed into and there was a question of it getting totaled. The car only has 7k miles on it so I went back and forth with the insurance company on cost of replacement. A similar optioned/packaged GT for 2021 is $6k more than 2018. That is roughly a 5% price increase every year. I've looked at a bunch of other manufacturers and none have this much of a year to year price increase from 2019 to 2021.
Josh!! My Raleigh neighbor, do you think Ford is the only one doing this? Look again.

Here's an example: My wife's a buyer for a company. They build machines. Manufacturing and engineering are constantly in the need of parts and supplies.
She is negotiating with these suppliers every single day because of their price increases. If you're not looking and treating this as your own money, then you eat up the profits.
Some suppliers witch she hasn't delt with in several years have cost increases exactly as you described. Up 5% every year. It's economics 101.

Dinglehead

First Name
J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4
Ya'll. Its called inflation - and we're going to get our butts handed to us over the next 5-10 years because of it. The monetary policy of the past 15 years of running the fed printers at full tilt and holding interest rates artificially low eventually has this result. It doesnt appear anyone has any intent on reigning it in either.

You'll notice that with all the cuts and price increases, Fords margin isn't increasing dramatically (if at all).

SILK

First Name
Ty
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Crew Cab Sport
Occupation
AV Engineer
Josh!! My Raleigh neighbor, do you think Ford is the only one doing this? Look again.

Here's an example: My wife's a buyer for a company. They build machines. Manufacturing and engineering are constantly in the need of parts and supplies.
She is negotiating with these suppliers every single day because of their price increases. If you're not looking and treating this as your own money, then you eat up the profits.
Some suppliers witch she hasn't delt with in several years have cost increases exactly as you described. Up 5% every year. It's economics 101.
I hear this a ton. There are a few points that I always think when I hear complaints about price increases. First, people want wages to keep up with cost of living/inflation. Many of the same people don't want to pay any more for goods and services rendered by others. Second, people want to keep jobs in America/North America, but don't want to pay what that costs. I think people want their cake and to eat it too.

I don't disagree with a single point they make. I, too, would love to pay less, make more money, and have my uncle's small business thrive. But something's gotta give somewhere.

I hate to see Ford pinching pennies like this, but it's also possible that the pandemic has introduced a supply issue for items like the engine cover - or for the company who makes the engine cover for Ford, or even the company who provides raw materials to THAT company. Layoffs, lack of required materials, etc. Ford decides to pull it off the Lariat, and then just figures that people aren't buying a truck for an engine cover and they'll save a few bucks per sale and keep it as an accessory only going forward.

What is the BIG problem for Ford and other auto manufacturers is the semiconductor and chip shortage that is happening right now. At least with the engine cover Ford's only problem is some people like us griping about it in the shadows. If they can't build new F-150's because of a lack of chips and it causes them to take a loss in Q2/Q3? I'd keep an eye on taking a short position on Ford stock in the coming month/months.

Advertisement

Advertisement