V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Electrician
Amber DRLs please.

Edit: it looks like they can be wired up for amber too. Very nice.
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Totally agree. Too little, too late, too too much, too bad. Alpha’s look great and are more reasonably priced.
Eh, I have still been looking for an option to upgrade the LED lights. I do not like the design of the Alpha's, although I do love their light coverage they have. Alpha's are considerably better than the Lariat coverage and more consistent. These Morimoto's might be a consideration for me. Just tossing in my worthless .02 :ontheloo:

Last edited:

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
1628951864475.png

Looks like the website has lost it's dang mind...

As much as i want these, and I dislike the AlphaRex - I'm really having second thoughts. These Morimotos have much cleaner lines and, to me, blend to the truck better.
Making your customers wait this long, and tossing on a premium price tag, that's not how business is done.

Need some beam pattern analysis, bc these sucker DO have THREE BI-LED PROJECTORS! That would be some serious light output.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Need some beam pattern analysis, bc these sucker DO have THREE BI-LED PROJECTORS! That would be some serious light output.
I agree, for that price I want to see beam pattern comparison. Ad far as three vs two projectors, they still need to meet SAE and DOT standards. So, total light output is regulated, unlike people throwing crazy high lumen LED bulbs in their halogen housings.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Well if they are better or equivalent to stock quality. Im not sure the price is unreasonable, especially if they have better light and patterns.

The stock lights are $1,780 each side -------> here, Thats $3,560 smackers for stock headlights.

Note: Im not sure if this makes a difference in overseas price, but the lights here have auto level. Im assuming the US Rangers do to.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
3 questions

1) any option to change DRL amber?

2) do they have any cringy light-up animation? If so, can they be turned off?

3) i have an xlt how hard is it to install? Theres mention of different harness from xlt to lariats

Synyster06Gates

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
1628951864475.png

Looks like the website has lost it's dang mind...

As much as i want these, and I dislike the AlphaRex - I'm really having second thoughts. These Morimotos have much cleaner lines and, to me, blend to the truck better.
Making your customers wait this long, and tossing on a premium price tag, that's not how business is done.

These are from one of the FB pages... To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm happy I went with the $600 Alpharex lights.

DsjbbhA.jpg

zpT9iFN.jpg

For reference, here's my setup with drop in replaceable LEDs.

233330455_10159275059160926_8660199972525467400_n.jpg

yKkdBY4.jpg

CoachJ

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Teacher/Coach
These are from one of the FB pages... To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm happy I went with the $600 Alpharex lights.

DsjbbhA.jpg

zpT9iFN.jpg

For reference, here's my setup with drop in replaceable LEDs.

233330455_10159275059160926_8660199972525467400_n.jpg

yKkdBY4.jpg
I've had "both" setups (had the 3 LED setup in my '13 F150) and can tell you that the Morimoto WAY outperformed the Alpharex. I put LED bulbs in my Pros and they were decent but had issues with reliability so I went back to halogen and did not lose much output. The Morimotos in my previous truck were insane; I never even felt like I needed the high beams.
Now how they'd compare to the 3-LED Alpharex I can't say, but I'm most likely about to put my Alpharex headlights up for sale. The high beams on these are atrocious.
I think the comparison in these pics make the Alphas look superior, but it's always difficult to tell in different settings with different cameras, ambient lighting, etc...

Edited to add: the "reliability issues" I speak of have absolutely nothing to do with the Alpharex lights. Something with my truck and the LED bulbs didn't jive.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Every headlight product drops the ball by not making amber a color option for the DRL portion.
I inquired with Alpharex if I could get amber DRL’s instead of white. They answered me back, not at this time. If enough potential US customers inquired as well they might just make some that way seeing the competition is doing that now.

For me, I like the Mori’s but not at that price. I could go through 2 sets of Alpha’s for that… Hmmm wonder if I can open them up and put amber in there anyways. Done it to other headlight assembly’s before. Just need to be patient doing it and keep the work area very clean and dust free.

Synyster06Gates

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I inquired with Alpharex if I could get amber DRL’s instead of white. They answered me back, not at this time. If enough potential US customers inquired as well they might just make some that way seeing the competition is doing that now.

For me, I like the Mori’s but not at that price. I could go through 2 sets of Alpha’s for that… Hmmm wonder if I can open them up and put amber in there anyways. Done it to other headlight assembly’s before. Just need to be patient doing it and keep the work area very clean and dust free.
It's a switchback. It could be done, just a programming thing.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Okay, some information to add. After asking Morimoto's customer service about the installation/wiring and how the DRLs would work, I have a better understanding. They provided a link to a youtube video that has some great info - link is HERE.

The headlamps themselves are plug and play. You can swap the assembly and the lamps and turn signals will work as they should. This includes the chase effect of the turn signals, which is optional also. The DRL, however, is independent of the entire assembly - it has it's own harness that uses a fuse tap to get ignition power, and once powered, will light up the DRL outline. The DRL will not function without the harness in place.

This causes issues for the XL/XLT crowd(who arguably will be the biggest base looking for upgrades) whose DRL is the low beam headlamp bulb. The upgraded assembly does not take into account the truck's DRL signal, and will illuminate all the low beam LEDs. This, apparently, will not flicker, but will still run unless you turn off the DRL in the truck's dash settings or Forscan.

The light pattern itself is really great however. I have attached two screenshots from the above referenced video of the low beams. The Morimoto clearly blow away the stock halogens (interestingly the stock halogen high beams are very good, while the Lariat is weirdly shaped and fuzzy) but only provide a small boost over the Lariat pattern. The actual usable lumen output is greater than the Lariat, and the spread is also better, but I can't see a Lariat owner buying these for any reason other than looks. The XL/XLT crowd, this will get you some nice lighting for sure!

Screenshot_20210818-111408.jpg

Screenshot_20210818-111747.jpg

I am currently still debating a purchase. I do not like the "V" look of the AlphaRex, and feel the Morimoto fit the lines of the Ranger better with the DRL. However, having the DRL be independent seems kinda lame. I'm not sure if the setting to turn off the XL/XLT DRL in the dash is permanent or resets after key start?? Overall, they are a great looking set of lights that I feel complement the truck very, very well, but for only a 25% increase in output over Lariat lights, that price is hard to swallow. The warranty and quality of Morimoto does have its' merit, however.

RBTremor

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang Conv. 2.3L

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Looks like taco headlights.
Still better than my stock halogen with LEDs.
I would get some alpharex with amber DRL's, but only the halogen ones and put LEDs in there, otherwise I'd rather put money towards performance.
I'll trade someone all of my "Sport" package wheels for their lariat headlights.
Sponsored