New Product - Morimoto XB LED Replacement Headlights

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
One thing I have yet to see posted anywhere on these is the beam pattern/cutoff. The cutoff on the OEM Lariat LEDs is pretty bad.
please elaborate, whats the cutoff
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
please elaborate, whats the cutoff
The cutoff is the point at which the intense light from HID and LEDs stops. This is so it does not cause excessive glare to the oncoming drivers. You can see this when HID's and LEDs are installed in standard reflector headlights. Below is an example of these. The image on the right is what a nice sharp cutoff should look like. The cutoff on the Lariat OEM LEDs is similar to the right, but had a nasty dip to the left of the point where the cutoff angles up. This is likely to be to reduce the glare to oncoming traffic, but produces a fairly odd beam pattern. I suspect this is due to the plate design inside the projector housing as well as the lens being a modified Fresnel design instead of it being optically clear with no secondary focus points or rings.

The left being that with HID's in reflector housings.

PlugNPlayHIDKitOutput.jpg

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
Subscribed. XLT with $hitty halogens on the way. I do a lot of late night driving on back roads and need all the headlight I can get.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
Sucks - they have such good products, but at this rate there will be no market left when they come out; everyone will have jumped on the AlphaRex or swapped in LED bulbs by then. I'm very disappointed in this product release.

OP
OP
OffroadAlliance

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
Unfortunately it's not just Morimoto. It's the entire automotive supply chain right now that is just behind. We touch base with Morimoto once a week sometimes more. They're doing everything they can to speed up the process. I can assure everyone they are coming, we just haven't been provided exact details yet.

HikingViking

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Unfortunately it's not just Morimoto. It's the entire automotive supply chain right now that is just behind. We touch base with Morimoto once a week sometimes more. They're doing everything they can to speed up the process. I can assure everyone they are coming, we just haven't been provided exact details yet.
Correct, its almost every industry right now, completely out of anyone's control and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this kind of stuff dealing with material shortages and cost inflation is only going to get worse.
Sucks - they have such good products, but at this rate there will be no market left when they come out; everyone will have jumped on the AlphaRex or swapped in LED bulbs by then. I'm very disappointed in this product release.
Not Morimotos fault its just what is going on right now. There will still be a market for these headlights and I personally will wait for (IMO) a superior quality product.

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Subscribed. XLT with $hitty halogens on the way. I do a lot of late night driving on back roads and need all the headlight I can get.
Get some drop LED bulbs. I swapped my low/high/fogs and the cutoff is exactly the same as stock, but amazingly bright. I have no plans now to switch headlights since the bulbs are so good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WMG43QJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQLGGBR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MoldyTaco

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
College Professor
I think Morimoto will still sell the hell out of their lights, when released. I am hoping they are true plug and play for the XLT like the lariat lights are. No extra wiring for DRLs. Of course if I get rid of my XLT for a Lariat before they release it will not matter. ?

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
What is the warranty on these? How have they tested the LEDs, housing seals, and plastic for longevity? Literally every time I've come across aftermarket lights they're problematic after just months. The amount of work it takes to replace the headlight housing on these trucks, I want something that will for sure last 10 years before I have to start worrying about anything.

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the warranty on these? How have they tested the LEDs, housing seals, and plastic for longevity? Literally every time I've come across aftermarket lights they're problematic after just months. The amount of work it takes to replace the headlight housing on these trucks, I want something that will for sure last 10 years before I have to start worrying about anything.
I would assume they are on par with the current XB series offerings. That would be a 5 year warranty. Morimoto is not some ebay pop up or copycat fly-by-night company. They actually publish the lighting specs right down to the UV coating used on the plastic. Since these are not available yet, that data is not public yet. The customer reps I've spoken to have dates of release in the June/July 2021 range.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I've seen Morimoto housings with these LED sequence lights fail on Toyotas. Hopefully the Ranger product is bullet proof. These vehicles will be offroaded and jostled around... needs to be tip top.

OP
OP
OffroadAlliance

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
I've seen Morimoto housings with these LED sequence lights fail on Toyotas. Hopefully the Ranger product is bullet proof. These vehicles will be offroaded and jostled around... needs to be tip top.

We sell a ton of the Morimoto headlights for Raptors. We even run them on two our own Raptors here at the shop. Our Raptors our taken off road frequently, jumped and abused. We've broken plenty of things, but not the Morimoto headlights. And if they do fail, Morimoto has a great 5 year warranty.

wfH0aWA.jpg

cEs9SgR.jpg

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran their lights in my XJ and JK Jeeps (in addition to HighBeam offroad, Quadratec, and Hella housings) and I can assure you, I did a lot more than jostle around. No issues whatsoever, and best quality of any I tried. No flicker, drops, misalignment - a few scratches on the front only.
Sponsored