First Name
Vaino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, Factory Five Cobra
Occupation
Tech Management
I installed the rear Bilstein 5100 on my FX4 this evening. After reading the threads on the various difficulties on install, I decided to plan the work out a bit. My plan worked, only 30 minutes to install both in my driveway, solo.

Step 1. Measure the distance between the shock top both and bottom bolt as installed on the truck. Mine was 20 inches.
Step 2. Using heavy duty zipties, make a loop and put from outside each eyelet.
Step 3. Compression shock by leaning on it facing the shock so you can reach the end of the zipties. Compress and tighten until the distance between the eyelets matches the distance you measured on your truck.

I did the passenger side first, and once installed remeasured the driver side and it was 1/8 longer. So take into account the new shock will level the truck slightly.

Happy wrenching.

IMG_20210401_155952.jpg
Sponsored

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
Has anyone here ordered from Essex Distributors in Canada? Looking to order a pair of Bilsteins for the rear and their name keeps popping up in searches.
I was a bit suspicious of that website too but ordered from them anyway. Mostly because they seem to be the only option up here. All good. It took them a week to ship them but once they did I received them quickly. Installed and happy with them.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Thanks, but the Bilstein video just creates more confusion :)
The video says to keep factory bolts/nuts when replacing the rear shocks.
BUT, the manual says "Remove and discard the rear shock absorber lower nut and bolt."

The Bilstein kit didn't include rear shock fasteners.
Do people but separate new fasteners?
I just re used the factory ones.

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Rapid Red
Has anyone here ordered from Essex Distributors in Canada? Looking to order a pair of Bilsteins for the rear and their name keeps popping up in searches.
Just received mine and unboxed them this morning. The website for Essex is not the best, but a week after I had not seen any change in my order status, I contacted them, and they arrived the next business day. I probably would go to their storefront the next time, but all in all, it was fine.

20210413_080645.jpg

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew
I was a bit suspicious of that website too but ordered from them anyway. Mostly because they seem to be the only option up here. All good. It took them a week to ship them but once they did I received them quickly. Installed and happy with them.
How do you like them? Have they removed most of the bounce and sway from the back end? Trying to decide between these and the Fox shocks.

Thinking of Fox as they seem to be more widely available for a bit more. Thinking about any possible warranty issues?

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
How do you like them? Have they removed most of the bounce and sway from the back end? Trying to decide between these and the Fox shocks.

Thinking of Fox as they seem to be more widely available for a bit more. Thinking about any possible warranty issues?
They work great. Took away the rear end bounce which was pretty much constant to some degree. Front and back seem balanced now.

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I just installed these today. Whole process took about 1 hour 15, but it's easy active for more like 30-45. I don't have a garage or driveway, so I had to carry everything out to the street, and I let my kids help with having the truck a bit. Not too bad on install. A bit tricky on the passenger side with the exhaust, and I had to mess around a bit with the lock nut and washer to get it in its place, but the driver side took prob 10 minutes total.

Only some quick neighborhood drives, but sufficient for a quick review. It still feels like a truck in a good way. Went over some big bumps including large speed bumps, and you still have a bounce over it, but none of the reverberating bounces... it sticks the landing, so to speak. Also noticed considerably less lean on sharp corners. I'll test more in the coming days, but that's my initial take.

Markbe35

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Super Crew
I just installed these today. Whole process took about 1 hour 15, but it's easy active for more like 30-45. I don't have a garage or driveway, so I had to carry everything out to the street, and I let my kids help with having the truck a bit. Not too bad on install. A bit tricky on the passenger side with the exhaust, and I had to mess around a bit with the lock nut and washer to get it in its place, but the driver side took prob 10 minutes total.

Only some quick neighborhood drives, but sufficient for a quick review. It still feels like a truck in a good way. Went over some big bumps including large speed bumps, and you still have a bounce over it, but none of the reverberating bounces... it sticks the landing, so to speak. Also noticed considerably less lean on sharp corners. I'll test more in the coming days, but that's my initial take.
Great to hear! I ordered a set for the rears on Friday, hope to see them early this week. Looking forward to installing them.

What torque setting did you use?

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great to hear! I ordered a set for the rears on Friday, hope to see them early this week. Looking forward to installing them.

What torque setting did you use?
I found somewhere on the forum that manufacturer's specs called for 52 ft-lb. Seemed about right to me. BTW, if you have a long torque wrench, the upper boots are a bit tricky. I hand tightened with a shorter wrench and then finished with the torque wrench.

H2Ocooled

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1967 SS Camaro
Occupation
Network Administrator
Installed mine this weekend, took about 40 minutes best trick was measuring the current shocks from eye bolt to eye bolt and then using zip tights to get the Bilsteins at the same length. Made the swap very easy. Love the ride now, sticks in the corners better and less of the bounce after a bump. Totally worth the $.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Any difference between the bilstien and the eibach ?
I just received the eibach pro truck, and bought them only because they were in stock at stage 3 and the bilsteins were out of stock. Eibachs were a few bucks cheaper. Will install tomorrow. Reading up on it now. Looks like boot up, no tire removal, no more than half drunk. Got it.
Sponsored