If Buying Today, Would You Still Buy the Ranger?

Mad German

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pilot
Occupation
Engineer
Hi all. I've done some searching but wanted to get some new/updated opinions on the truck's quality & reliability. I'm going to be buying one of these: Chevy ZR2, Ford Ranger Tremor, Toyota TRD Off Road (or TRD Pro). Each of these trucks has their + and - points. I also understand that each brand has their own set of fanboys, some are more rabid than others. You know who you are, haha!

Since I'm looking at spending $45-50,000, I'm trying to do my research as thorough as I can. These trucks are not cheap and I'm looking for this to be a 10+ year truck ownership. So, my questions are:

* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
* If not, why? What would you buy instead? Why?
* What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?
* What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
* What did you like & dislike about them?

Thanks for answering my questions. $45-50,000 is a lot of money. I want to feel that I've made the best choice for my needs as a daily driver, light hauler, occasional tower, and hunting/camping/fishing vehicle.

Have a great day!
Sponsored

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
Hi all. I've done some searching but wanted to get some new/updated opinions on the truck's quality & reliability. I'm going to be buying one of these: Chevy ZR2, Ford Ranger Tremor, Toyota TRD Off Road (or TRD Pro). Each of these trucks has their + and - points. I also understand that each brand has their own set of fanboys, some are more rabid than others. You know who you are, haha!

Since I'm looking at spending $45-50,000, I'm trying to do my research as thorough as I can. These trucks are not cheap and I'm looking for this to be a 10+ year truck ownership. So, my questions are:

* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?

Thanks for answering my questions. $45-50,000 is a lot of money. I want to feel that I've made the best choice for my needs as a daily driver, light hauler, occasional tower, and hunting/camping/fishing vehicle.

Have a great day!
I actually bought this truck twice. One in 2020 and traded it in for a 2021 with 4WD. I love the power and the size. It can fit in my tiny driveway and I have no issues going around town. All your other questions are N/A to me.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Yes and I did just did that...
Bought a new '20 Lariat FX4 last Dec when the deals were extra good. Sold it in April for enough of a profit to buy a new Tremor with no money out of pocket, but rather some back in my pocket. I could have bought anything at that point.
Truck meets all my needs while exceeding some.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I would buy the Ranger again, but I would probably get a well-optioned XL instead of the Lariat. Don’t get me wrong - the Lariat is very nice, but the fancy interior, poorly-implemented infotainment, and absurdly expensive replacement parts are unnecessary for the way I use it. We have other nice cars for family trips. COVID made some permanent changes to our lifestyle, and I’d be happier with a simpler, less expensive truck.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I would, but I only bought less than 2 months ago. What I like about the truck is the power, the ride, and the tech like adaptive cruise, lane keeping, etc.

What I don't like are the sync3 system is a bit flakey, and it's lacking some things that it simply should have a top trim levels, like memory seats as one example. There are others.

It's a great truck though. I'm mostly satisfied.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Yes absolutely but I wouldn’t spend 45k-50k on any of the current mid-size trucks. The ranger is the best all around mid-size out today in my opinion.

Unless you simply can’t wait, the market is too high right now in my opinion. I got my truck this year right before prices went off the deep end. MSRP 39k paid 33.5k and really wouldn't have spent a ton more.

Seems that all the Ford and Toyota dealers are charging at or near MSRP now and incentives aren’t there.

You could also wait and see what the new frontier is like in the next 2-3 months. I’m not a huge Nissan fan but the frontier is easily the best vehicle they make and I think they put a lot of effort into the new truck.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
What I don't like are the sync3 system is a bit flakey, and it's lacking some things that it simply should have a top trim levels, like memory seats as one example. There are others.
Mine has memory seats. It always remembers where I left it. :bandit:

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I would
I would look at the new Frontiers as that was my last truck for 12 yrs, but I don't like the Frontier look. In another yr or 2 I might consider a hybrid Maverick. Son will probably be long gone by then and just need a vehicle for 2 - but still a truck.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
As this is my first Ford, and it is still new to me I haven't put enough miles on it to form an opinion. My 21' FX4 only ran me $34K new, so I am good with the price. So far the truck seems solid, runs great, and hasn't presented any issues, going wheeling soon so will get an idea of its capabilities in that department. So far the only thing I am disappointed with is the Sync 3 infotainment system, seems clunky and lacks features that make it seem old tech, I mean this is 2021 right?

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist

Have a great day!
For your uses, you can find a midsized truck for less. But, yes! I would buy a ranger again! I like the power and comfort. Seats are incredible for me! I like the mpg’s and the looks.
what I dislike is the rake. TheFX4 should have come packaged with a leveling kit.
The other trucks I was looking at were the Tacos, Gladiator and less so the Colorados and Frontier (in 2020). Ranger packed most bang for the buck and it really is a competent offroader! After owning a Ranger for a year this month, I jumped into a Taco and couldn’t get comfortable, the engine was buzzy and I didn’t feel as secure as I do in my Ranger. Even if I could have afforded a Trd Pro or a JT Rubicon, what I know now, I would still choose the Ranger.
Sponsored