First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
In regard to panels: the dies that stamp parts start to wear...

Oh, you forgot 6 tie down vs 4....
Yeah, you're right. I have to buy 2 tie downs. Damnit. I just ordered some bolts and alternative tie downs from Amazon.

Added: And, yeah, there's a bit of air noise I haven't tried to find yet, but may be the rear door seal. :(
Sponsored

Last edited:

ParkerAzJeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Ranger 2019 Ranger
I didn't want to bend my old tired self down so I sent my 10 YO grand daughter out to look and she reported back. "Plugged and painted holes, same beautiful Saber color as the rest of it". 2019 XLT

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
2021 Tremor…no plugs

Frio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
While I ordered the plugs @Ranger2021 linked to above, also couldn't resist modeling it up for printing. So for anyone that wants to print some plugs, attached is the STL. TPU is the material of choice since I doubt this design would fit using a stiffer material (didn't try). Plus TPU will easily conform to any minor contour.

1624627722704.png
PXL_20210625_133933328.jpg

Attachments

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I bought some body plugs on ebay for 8 bucks, easier than dealing with the dealer.

1624565458717.png
Did they fit well? Can you provide a link? Thanks!

alan0614

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Lariat, 2017 GT350, 2016 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Product and Training Manager
2019 Lariat, holes plugged and painted

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I've had first-year redesigns 3 times now and I regretted it with the last 2 vehicles (Hyundai & KIA where kinks were worked out and features were added in year 2+), but on my Ranger I'm finding myself happier and happier about not waiting for year 2+. My rear headrests fold. I have proximity entry on all 4 doors. Plus all this other stuff that people are finding as the years drag on.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've had first-year redesigns 3 times now and I regretted it with the last 2 vehicles (Hyundai & KIA where kinks were worked out and features were added in year 2+), but on my Ranger I'm finding myself happier and happier about not waiting for year 2+. My rear headrests fold. I have proximity entry on all 4 doors. Plus all this other stuff that people are finding as the years drag on.
I'm the same, I've had first year models with cars, motorcycles and snowmobiles and have always regretted it. One thing though is the Ranger really wasn't a total redesign because it was copied from the ROTW Rangers just adding a motor and tranny that were already in use. Now the next Gen Ranger will be a total redesign and as much as I'd like one I would at least wait until the mid year point to purchase.

ksuds49

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor & 2005 Land Rover LR3
Occupation
Do things for peoples
So with all the interest this has drawn, do we actually know this is an issue? Will not having those plugged cause damage? Will plugging them just let moisture/debris in from somewhere else and get trapped inside?

Reactions: R_B

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So with all the interest this has drawn, do we actually know this is an issue? Will not having those plugged cause damage? Will plugging them just let moisture/debris in from somewhere else and get trapped inside?
Go out and look at your truck. The rocker panels aren't open, they are boxed in.

The uncovered holes are right in line with the front tires, which will sling salt, mag chloride, mud, water, ice and snow into the rocker panels. So all that crude will just lay inside there, eating away at the steel. And the open painted holes will get chipped from rocks, and then the edges of the holes will start to rust.

... or another way to think about it... if it was ok to leave the holes open, why did Ford plug them for 2 years for no reason?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Just checked and my 2021 crew has a row of holes just like the OP's.
Same here on my Scab. No plugs. Steel rockers, too; confirmed with a magnet.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Cost cutting measures! Think of how many plugs that’s saving them. Somebody got a bonus… ?
They'll put the savings aside for the 5/60K rust through warranty repairs, and/ or class action suit.
Sponsored