First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know if there is any foam filled cavities on the Ranger? My grandson has a f-150 and above the rear wheels on the bed it is rusting out from the inside. The foam held the moisture in there to help it rust. I had my Ranger rust proofed but still worry they may not have gotten into the spots if there are any.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Does anyone know if there is any foam filled cavities on the Ranger? My grandson has a f-150 and above the rear wheels on the bed it is rusting out from the inside. The foam held the moisture in there to help it rust. I had my Ranger rust proofed but still worry they may not have gotten into the spots if there are any.
Had a hard time deciding whether to reply to this or not. I know there are a lot of opinions both ways on rust proofing. I know the question was about foam in panels, but I don't know that answer.

I know rust proofing was a big thing in the past. With today's improved materials and coatings IMO it is not needed today. I actually think it my be more detrimental than helpful. As any additional coating if it is damaged may trap moisture and if improperly applied plug required drain holes. Opinions vary and this may start a heated debate on the subject.

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Had a hard time deciding whether to reply to this or not. I know there are a lot of opinions both ways on rust proofing. I know the question was about foam in panels, but I don't know that answer.

I know rust proofing was a big thing in the past. With today's improved materials and coatings IMO it is not needed today. I actually think it my be more detrimental than helpful. As any additional coating if it is damaged may trap moisture and if improperly applied plug required drain holes. Opinions vary and this may start a heated debate on the subject.
I understand your thoughts and it is a totally different process now. Doors and internal parts are covered with a greasy, waxy, penetrant substance so it does not clog drain holes and such. The guy even asked me how long I was going to keep the vehicle because he said if only 3-4 years it wouldn’t be worth it. I asked about the foam because they can’t guarantee those areas and I would like to stay on top of them.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I understand your thoughts and it is a totally different process now. Doors and internal parts are covered with a greasy, waxy, penetrant substance so it does not clog drain holes and such. The guy even asked me how long I was going to keep the vehicle because he said if only 3-4 years it wouldn’t be worth it. I asked about the foam because they can’t guarantee those areas and I would like to stay on top of them.
I understand that like all things the process has changed and I applaud the dealer for his recommendation. And, you for doing your homework.

Each to his own opinion.

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
I understand that like all things the process has changed and I applaud the dealer for his recommendation. And, you for doing your homework.

Each to his own opinion.
Yeah I too was wondering if it’s better or worse. Only time will tell.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Must be an older F150 if it's rusting since the newer ones are aluminum. Just an FYI the hood, front fenders and tailgate are aluminum on the 2019+ Ranger.

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Must be an older F150 if it's rusting since the newer ones are aluminum. Just an FYI the hood, front fenders and tailgate are aluminum on the 2019+ Ranger.
Yeah it’s a 05, I am hoping even though the hood, fenders, and tailgate are aluminum that the rustproofing will control the corrosion in the aluminum too. Any thoughts?

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Yeah it’s a 05, I am hoping even though the hood, fenders, and tailgate are aluminum that the rustproofing will control the corrosion in the aluminum too. Any thoughts?
I'm not worried about the aluminum. My dad Is a truck driver and his trailer is aluminum. He had his last one for around 10 years and it never corroded. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like raw aluminum to me.

All I know is when you live in a state that salts like I do your going to have a rust bucket in 10 years.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I'm not worried about the aluminum. My dad Is a truck driver and his trailer is aluminum. He had his last one for around 10 years and it never corroded. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like raw aluminum to me.

All I know is when you live in a state that salts like I do your going to have a rust bucket in 10 years.
We have lived with salt roads for decades, and we are the ones that have to live with the consequences. I understand why they do it, but with the tech we have now. They cannot come up with a cheap, safe, snow repellent? Thats hard to believe.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
We have lived with salt roads for decades, and we are the ones that have to live with the consequences. I understand why they do it, but with the tech we have now. They cannot come up with a cheap, safe, snow repellent? Thats hard to believe.
The salt is also bad for the concert and steel used in bridges. Not to mention the ecosystems of the fresh water bodies. I get it, It's cheap and effective but it still stinks.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The salt is also bad for the concert and steel used in bridges. Not to mention the ecosystems of the fresh water bodies. I get it, It's cheap and effective but it still stinks.
Hi C,

Detroit sits on top of a HUGE salt dome. There is a mine in the middle of Detroit owned by the International Salt Co. It is so deep, wide etc that there are tunnel intersections with stop lights. Heavy equipment like a CAT D9 are taken down in pieces and reassembled. The pieces of equipment will likely be down there as to bring them to the surface and the humility will result in instant rust! Electrical wiring runs across the ceiling.... Used to be tours, but I think they are no more...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored