First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Now, my better half found this which she likes alot, which is traditional, and weighs in at 5700 lbs.
So, even loaded it shouldn't max out the 7500 lb limit.
Whatever makes her happy.

2021_forest_river_alpha_wolf_23rdl_roa1814954_19.jpg
Sponsored

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
No trying to start a fight or piss in your Wheaties but it might help to take a look at your numbers a little better. Mainly the GCWR which for your truck is 12,150. That being said with the curb weight of 4,232 that only leaves 418 pounds to play with before you are overweight. Just because they say that you can tow 7500 does not mean that you should. Also keep in mind it isn't about what the truck can move, it is about what the load does to the truck when you go to stop. These trucks do not have much weight behind them to safely tow heavy weights. Also Sway is going to be a major issue with cross winds. You would do better to tow the truck with a motorhome before you attempt to tow a RV with this truck.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Your figures are off...
Figures and ### rough average...
Empty weight of Ranger.....4145 lbs
Payload for my ranger (what it can carry)...1860 lbs
Total Gross Vehicle Weight Rating....6005 lbs
Empty weight of 4145, plus maybe 600 lbs for me, wife, 2 dogs, some add ons, trailer hitch, comes to 4745 lbs.
Add 650 lbs for hitch weight of trailer...5395 lbs...round it off to 5400 and throw in 100 lbs for some "stuff", comes to 5500 lbs.
Gross combined Weight Rating is 12,150. So, subtract 5500 lbs from that and it leaves me with 6600 lbs that I can tow under Ford's weight rating.
Trailers wife is looking at run 5500-5800 lbs, so I'm still on the plus side.

Sardog

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
USN Aircrew
Your figures are off...
Figures and ### rough average...
Empty weight of Ranger.....4145 lbs
Payload for my ranger (what it can carry)...1860 lbs
Total Gross Vehicle Weight Rating....6005 lbs
Empty weight of 4145, plus maybe 600 lbs for me, wife, 2 dogs, some add ons, trailer hitch, comes to 4745 lbs.
Add 650 lbs for hitch weight of trailer...5395 lbs...round it off to 5400 and throw in 100 lbs for some "stuff", comes to 5500 lbs.
Gross combined Weight Rating is 12,150. So, subtract 5500 lbs from that and it leaves me with 6600 lbs that I can tow under Ford's weight rating.
Trailers wife is looking at run 5500-5800 lbs, so I'm still on the plus side.
The numbers I provided are directly from the FORD specifications and Towing Guides for the 2020 Ranger. Obviously there will be slight variation based on specific vehicles and how they are optioned out. I was just bringing to light the fact that if you go up to the quoted 7500 pound trailer weight it is incredibly easy to be overweight and not realize it.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I could relate horror stories about trailers and motor homes from 20 years ago thet were at their rated limit, and over, as they came from the factory. Back in the "olden days" it was just a fact of life that almost anything you drove or pulled would exceed the permitted weight limit.
The specs on the new ranger with tow package are better than pick ups from even several years ago.
Heck, even our current 2012 motor home is close to it specs, and its on an E-450 chassis.
I am truly familiar with weight/specs/capacities, and I believe the Ranger will perform just fine, including braking and handling.
Have pulled everything from 16 footers up to 36 footers, and motorhomes from 30 to 38 feet, thru all lower 48, and Alaska, and every province in Canada, Rockies, and Death Valley, and with that, am very comfortable with my choice of the Ranger. In my 70's now and this will last us for our next few camping n traveling years.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I could relate horror stories about trailers and motor homes from 20 years ago thet were at their rated limit, and over, as they came from the factory. Back in the "olden days" it was just a fact of life that almost anything you drove or pulled would exceed the permitted weight limit.
The specs on the new ranger with tow package are better than pick ups from even several years ago.
Heck, even our current 2012 motor home is close to it specs, and its on an E-450 chassis.
I am truly familiar with weight/specs/capacities, and I believe the Ranger will perform just fine, including braking and handling.
Have pulled everything from 16 footers up to 36 footers, and motorhomes from 30 to 38 feet, thru all lower 48, and Alaska, and every province in Canada, Rockies, and Death Valley, and with that, am very comfortable with my choice of the Ranger. In my 70's now and this will last us for our next few camping n traveling years.
"It's fine. I got this!"

Said every drunk driver, kid speeding through a school zone, junkie about to O.D., and retired cop overloading his RV. :rolleyes:

What ever happened to, "To protect and serve?"

Last edited:

DoctorsTARDIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Getting back to the threaded holes, what is up with the price of additional tie downs?! Is there a great tie down shortage or something? I found old posts saying they were like $20 for a set and now they're more than 3 times that shipped.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
OP I think you are discovering that you would have better luck towing your old motorhome with your new ranger than you will ever have arguing with the D fresh or ranger pride. They are the forums official unofficial self-declared, environmental, woke, safety nannies. ?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
OP I think you are discovering that you would have better luck towing your old motorhome with your new ranger than you will ever have arguing with the D fresh or ranger pride. They are the forums official unofficial self-declared, environmental, woke, safety nannies. ?
Tried and true method, overload all you want

3BA7E303-EC55-4DDB-A61D-D5470ECA1B1F.jpeg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
While I appreciate your nod to my arguing skills, you apparently haven't paid much attention to my words. "Environmental, woke, safety nanny" are not words that anybody would use to describe me.

I will, however, call out stupidity when I see it. And trying to tow a 5th wheel travel trailer (that isn't a little Scamp) with a Ranger is stupid. Borderline retarded. The irony of dude being a retired cop is icing on the cake.

Also, if you want to talk shit like a man the least you could do is flag the person you're talking about like so...

@AdamHarris

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm thinking about something along the lines as this....figure as long as the rear bumper doesn't drag I'll be OK....
MPGPicture1.jpg

But maybe the rear bumper dragging wouldn't be a bad idea....added friction will help me stop !!!

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
While I appreciate your nod to my arguing skills, you apparently haven't paid much attention to my words. "Environmental, woke, safety nanny" are not words that anybody would use to describe me.

I will, however, call out stupidity when I see it. And trying to tow a 5th wheel travel trailer (that isn't a little Scamp) with a Ranger is stupid. Borderline retarded. The irony of dude being a retired cop is icing on the cake.

Also, if you want to talk shit like a man the least you could do is flag the person you're talking about like so...

@AdamHarris
Sir, your offended by the words "safety nanny" being applied to you, yet you see fit to call me "stupid" and "borderline retarded"
Give it a rest, take a chill pill, whatever will calm you down. Been around way too long to let some words affect me.
As for what I will be doing with MY Ranger, I'll tow what I damn well please as long as it's within limits of what Ford recommends, and it WILL be under their weight guidelines.
I'll be sure to post our itinerary so you'll know to stay off the road when we'll be in your area.
:like:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Sir, your offended by the words "safety nanny" being applied to you, yet you see fit to call me "stupid" and "borderline retarded"
Give it a rest, take a chill pill, whatever will calm you down. Been around way too long to let some words affect me.
As for what I will be doing with MY Ranger, I'll tow what I damn well please as long as it's within limits of what Ford recommends, and it WILL be under their weight guidelines.
I'll be sure to post our itinerary so you'll know to stay off the road when we'll be in your area.
:like:
Where did I say or imply that Mr. Harris offended me?

As for you. I never once called you stupid or retarded. I said pulling a 5th wheel travel trailer with a Ranger is stupid and borderline retarded. Stupid is as stupid does.

If you don't like people commenting on what YOU plan to do with YOUR Ranger don't post it on line.

I don't need your itinerary. I've got the ability to spot rolling hazards a mile away. You can rest assured that I, along with any other sane person, will stay far away from any midsized 5th wheel rigs. If you do come out here please just keep it in right lane. We don't put runaway truck ramps on the left side. ;)
Sponsored