First Name
Cristhian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
If the Santa Cruz or Maverick were around when I was shopping for the Ranger.... I'd probably have one... I'm one of those that like the utility of a truck bed but will probably never tow and if I did probably not over 2-3k lbs anyway... But, that being said, I do love my Ranger and I keep looking back at it and smiling when I walk towards it...
I feel the same way, I just love the pickup style and utility. I don't need a huge bed most of the time. I think I will see one of them in my parent's house as they want to replace a 4Runner with a pickup.
Sponsored

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I like it (mostly). But I liked the Subaru BRAT, too. ?
The grill is going to get a lot of aftermarket attention, tho...
Gulp... LOL...?

2.5 Liter Turbocharged! motor with 275 HP!!! Little pocket rocket.

Neat little truck. They will probably sell a bunch of them as long as they park them backwards in the dealers lot.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Not sure I buy the good for mulch at Home Depot runs argument. A car with a trunk and plastic bag work just fine for the few times a year the average person buys mulch. People who shop at more than one store at a time or folks that go to the gym prefer a trunk to hide and keep goods secure. Unibody construction is expensive to fix, and generally handles poorly off-road.
We have a truck and a car, both come in handy depending on the situation. Think of all the Ford, Toyota and Chevy trucks on the road, how many Ridgelines do you see ? Why is that ? Same story with this new entrant. I smell a bust and a future trivia question.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hyundai has announced the pricing for the 2022 Santa Cruz small pickup, which starts at $25,175, including destination. Fully loaded 39K.

https://www.thetorquereport.com/hyundai/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-starts-at-25175/
Well, I'm waiting for the Maverick, the Ranger is my first Ford, I owned Toyota's, Jeep, Dodge 1500 trucks and Nissan Montero 4WD. So far I love the way the Ranger ride and handle so I'm willing to try another Ford brand maverick and or the big Bronco.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure I buy the good for mulch at Home Depot runs argument. A car with a trunk and plastic bag work just fine for the few times a year the average person buys mulch. People who shop at more than one store at a time or folks that go to the gym prefer a trunk to hide and keep goods secure. Unibody construction is expensive to fix, and generally handles poorly off-road.
We have a truck and a car, both come in handy depending on the situation. Think of all the Ford, Toyota and Chevy trucks on the road, how many Ridgelines do you see ? Why is that ? Same story with this new entrant. I smell a bust and a future trivia question.
I agree with you on regards to capability and that the Santa Cruz isn't competitor to Ranger but I'm seeing a more Ridgelines in my area than Rangers or Colorados. Most are driven by middle age women or older folks. I think what part of the country you live in drives a big part of this; I'm in northern Illinois - corn country with snow but little need for most people to need actual 4WD. My ex has a Ridgeline and in terms of features, it's better than the Ranger for many people in almost every way except towing and off-road capability. Better interior, way more room, similar payload, better bed design, longer bed 64 vs 61) wider bed (54 vs 44.8), and of course it rides like a unibody SUV, which the target demo prefers. I went Ranger simply because I plan on taking it out west on trails so true truck build and 4WD have to happen. In it's day to day life, those features won't play a factor at all. Obviously places with mountain snow and/or more off-road need won't see the Ridgeline as much because those areas are where it's weaknesses are very much exposed. And anyone towing anything obviously can't use the Ridgeline outside of tiny teardrops and other light loads.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I had a white 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo that was a terrific vehicle and one of the very few I regret selling.

I only sold because it hit 200k and I was afraid it was about to become a money pit.

Looked identical to this

subaru-baja-turbo-automatic-80388-original-miles-1.jpg

I will be looking very closely at the Santa Cruz and the Maverick when they come out as the Ranger is actually a little more truck than I really need.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
If that thing is competition for the Ranger....I'm selling mine! lol

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
I had a white 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo that was a terrific vehicle and one of the very few I regret selling.

I only sold because it hit 200k and I was afraid it was about to become a money pit.

Looked identical to this

I will be looking very closely at the Santa Cruz and the Maverick when they come out as the Ranger is actually a little more truck than I really need.
Funny you mention the Baja. We have a friend that has a Baja and refuses to get rid of it. I’m betting that the Maverick and Santa Cruz will get a similar following and honestly I think the Maverick more so but I am biased.

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life

Looked identical to this

That's the Subaru I was thinking about not the Brat. I thought it had 4 doors ?

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i would seriously consider the sant cruz- or any awd hyundai with decent ground clearance- due to their fantastic warranty. i've owned hyundais before and they are solid. if they came out with a real 4x4 competitor to wrangler/bronco I would be all over it for a 2nd daily driver.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That Subaru isn't even competition for the "Maverick"!
It only had a 2400lb tow rating but the bed was quite sturdy.

I had over 1000lbs in it a few times and it handled it with no issues.

Its main goal was to be carlike with the occasional Home Depot trips and such, which it excelled at.

The turbo model is extremely easy to modify as almost all the WRX STi stuff fits and mine was very quick. Quick enough that we wouldn' t let my teenage son have it to drive (the first time I let him drive it he spun all 4 tires turning left out of our neighborhood. I still don't know how he did it but it cemented the fact that he wasn't getting it) and the person who bought it totalled it out within 2 months.

I wish I still had it.

Rowdy Ranger

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lighting Blue Ranger
Occupation
Certified Welder
It only had a 2400lb tow rating but the bed was quite sturdy.

I had over 1000lbs in it a few times and it handled it with no issues.

Its main goal was to be carlike with the occasional Home Depot trips and such, which it excelled at.

The turbo model is extremely easy to modify as almost all the WRX STi stuff fits and mine was very quick. Quick enough that we wouldn' t let my teenage son have it to drive (the first time I let him drive it he spun all 4 tires turning left out of our neighborhood. I still don't know how he did it but it cemented the fact that he wasn't getting it) and the person who bought it totalled it out within 2 months.

I wish I still had it.
Not a Ford, not in my driveway. Park your foreign ride in the street.