Help me decide…Livernois or 5 Star tune?

bRaptor

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT tremor
Have Livernois. Generally pleased with it. Want to try Unleashed but kids will want to go to college so truck spending is paused. ?
Military or monastery. That's what my parents said. So you can pull all of their stuff with your truck when you send them away with that new tune. School investment.
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
People are probably getting tired of me writing this on every tune post. HA! I have tunes from 5-Star, S&S , Gear Heads and Unleashed. Unleashed is easily the best in my opinion. 5-Star shifted way too hard! S&S was jumpy and Gear Heads was a big NO. I am currently running Torquerules custom 93 octane tune from Unleashed on my Ranger. Plenty of power, shifts really smooth and stays in gears a little longer so the engine isn't "bogging" down....and I've been averaging 22mpg on winter gas (mixed city and highway driving)

Torquerules an Torrie at Unleashed did a great job with this tune!!

apcojo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus XLT
Occupation
Machine Shop Manager
I'm suprised that nobody mentioned OZ Tuning. My mileage is down a little (hard to gauge with winter blend fuel and remote starts in the am), but im tickled pink with the power this truck makes. And the trans shifts the way it should have from the factory. Not to mention, 1 tune covers 87-93-E30.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
So if I may ask , say I did the FP tune. , for warranty sake , then I just say heck with it and fiil her up with 89 , how will it act ? Just no performance or its gona run horribly ?

shadesofgray19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger on Order, 2020 Miata
Occupation
Engineer
Didn't see on their website where they state 87 fuel as an alternative. Notes fail safes for poor gas quality. That is not saying it works, just a better chance you will not grenade the motor. You would be relying on the knock sensor and retard capabilities of the computer.

I'm suprised that nobody mentioned OZ Tuning. My mileage is down a little (hard to gauge with winter blend fuel and remote starts in the am), but im tickled pink with the power this truck makes. And the trans shifts the way it should have from the factory. Not to mention, 1 tune covers 87-93-E30.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure there's a flash counter in the PCM that can't be accessed by an aftermarket tuner.

@UofMEngineer , can you verify this or is this something you can't divulge?
I would assume this is another lie from 5-Star... So, if you did get the extended warranty from them, then the dealer knows you tuned it, how will their (Stage 3's) warranty work?

FWIW, every time I bring my vehicles in for the state mandated safety and emissions inspection two of the things printed on the report I get is "how many miles since last ECU flash" and "how many start cycles since the last time the ECU was reset". State doesn't do anything with this info but if generic inspection equipment can see it you no dam well the dealer can too.
Indeed! We don't have inspections or emissions tests here, but I know what you're talking about.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
So if I may ask , say I did the FP tune. , for warranty sake , then I just say heck with it and fiil her up with 89 , how will it act ? Just no performance or its gona run horribly ?
Not sure about the FP tune but I did ask Unleashed when I had my 15 Mustang was it possible to run 87 in a pinch with a 93 octane tune. He told me that the ECU only has so much range that it can adjust the timing and the tune pushes that range up to take advantage of the expected higher octane so it no longer has the ability to adjust the timing for the lower octane. He didn't recommend doing it but if you drive conservatively it likely would be OK.

FWIW, my 68 Barracuda has 10.5:1 compression and has no knock sensors or ability to adjust timing on the fly. I tuned it to run on 93. I tried 89 in it so see how it would react and it was fine. I then tried 87 and it rattled like a coffee can with marbles in it.

apcojo

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus XLT
Occupation
Machine Shop Manager
Didn't see on their website where they state 87 fuel as an alternative. Notes fail safes for poor gas quality. That is not saying it works, just a better chance you will not grenade the motor. You would be relying on the knock sensor and retard capabilities of the computer.
You are correct. I re-read the email from when I received my tune and it aligns with that. 91 is recommended, but in a pinch (or a few), I'd feel more than comfortable with 87. If its more long term, like our current gas situation, ill begrudgingly return to stock.

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2020 Explorer ST
Occupation
Software Engineer, EMT, Amateur Rocket Scientist
So, I ended up going with Unleashed after reading up on it, Livernois, and 5 Star. I have a Livewire TS on the way and tunes for 87 and 93+. The Livewire was a bit more money but Unleashed was offering it $50 off and there’s currently a $50 rebate too.

Mr.Scary

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger sport 4x4
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Livernois Drop mic. LOL

• Haha

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I thought Mountune was associated with Ford Performance.
They are, but their collaborations have been limited to other vehicles currently.

Livernois didn't write the FP tune. They provided the tuning device, FP wrote the Rangers tune.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
If you want a race car, super tune your Focus RS with whatever. If you want a good, all around 'performance tune' I will recommend the Livernois/Ford Performance jointly developed tune. Ford Warranty. They say 'no towing' - I say 'use common sense'. Plenty of discounts on the FP tune package.

20200623_125117.jpeg

OP
OP

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2020 Explorer ST
Occupation
Software Engineer, EMT, Amateur Rocket Scientist
I loaded up the Unleashed tune last night. I drove to dinner, got gas, and drove home about 30 miles. Running the 87 octane tune, MPG increased by a couple according to the computer's instantaneous calculations for that 30 miles. Shifting seemed a bit rougher, but I e-mailed Torrie and he confirmed my suspicions that the computer just needs to relearn with the new tune. The butt dyno is grinning from ear to ear! There is way more power on tap. It reminded me of when I smash the accelerator on the Explorer ST! I can't wait to load up the 93+ tune with a full tank and some octane booster! The K+N 63 intake is going on soon to give it a bit more air. I'll probably throw in the Denso Iridium 1 step colder plugs I have, and am looking at charge pipe and exhaust options, then will contact Torrie for updated tunes. I'm happy so far!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If you want a race car, super tune your Focus RS with whatever. If you want a good, all around 'performance tune' I will recommend the Livernois/Ford Performance jointly developed tune. Ford Warranty. They say 'no towing' - I say 'use common sense'. Plenty of discounts on the FP tune package.

20200623_125117.jpeg
As @Dgc333 mentioned the tune has been revised to allow for towing. If you have yet to update yours I recommend you do so.
Sponsored