Issues with 5-Star tune

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
My Ranger should arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week and after I get some time behind the wheel, I will figure out if I want a tune. I have 2 Tunes on my Expedition (not 5-star) that I cycle between: 87 economy (winter) and 91 Heavy Tow (summer). The eco tune improved MPG by 2 on average and the 91 Tow feels like it adds 50HP/TQ and both greatly improved transmission mapping and shift pressures.

For my E450 C-Class motorhome that I tow my 7500lb enclosed trailer with I have a 5-Star tune: "87 Octane daily/tow". About 0.5MPG improvement (It's a motorhome, what do you expect?) but when towing it felt like the trailer I was pulling was half the weight and my Transmission temps where a lot more stable on long haul tows which I attribute to less shifting/slip. Very happy with 5 star.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

5startuning

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
5startuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Custom Tuner
I posted in another thread i had to go back to stock. Trans shifting got progressively worse. Super harsh shifts and going from Reverse to Drive would be a super brutal clunk.

Really miss the power though. I may reach back out to them.
Hi Sabasigh,

Just email [email protected] with your device serial number and we can get this addressed for you.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My 5star experience has been excellent so far and I've put a little over 1K miles on the 93 Performance. I will data log soon so that they can check everything out, but so far nothing but smiles. Those complaining about shifting, the fact that the ECU has 10 gears to sort through, no matter what I think that there will be occasionall inconsistency. Stock I saw this worse than I do with the 5star tune though. As an aside, before I got my tunes but had my device, I loaded the canned SCT tune and have to say that it isn't bad and many here might be satisfied with it. If you look on their site, the get almost identical gains as the recently released Ford Performance tune...

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Also, a quicker shifting transmission will last longer than one with soggy long shifts. Even if they seem harsh. Slipping those clutch packs only quickens wear. I'm not saying it should feel like it's trying to tear your driveshaft in two, but a good durable performance shift should be firm and quick.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Also, a quicker shifting transmission will last longer than one with soggy long shifts. Even if they seem harsh. Slipping those clutch packs only quickens wear. I'm not saying it should feel like it's trying to tear your driveshaft in two, but a good durable performance shift should be firm and quick.
Depends on how you use it.. My 93 octane performance tune in drive shifts normal, in sport it’s Brisk.. Average daily drivers don’t like firm shifts..
Regards

Last edited:

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Depends on how you use it.. My 93 octane performance tune in drive shifts normal, in sport it’s Brisk.. Average daily drivers don’t like firm shifts..
Regards
That why most transmissions do not shift very firm from the factory. Average users are the target, so manufacturers balance NVH, longevity, performance, etc. with the knowledge that an average user expects the best of all world's, so they try to target that. Modern autos are light years ahead of transmissions from years ago and do a very good job if being friendly in daily driving and firm and quick during spirited action, but because of the inevitable compromise for the targeted average user, improvements can be made. That being said, stock this transmission is very good and shifts just fine for most users as intended. I just do not mind at all how a good tune firms things up beyond that.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That why most transmissions do not shift very firm from the factory. Average users are the target, so manufacturers balance NVH, longevity, performance, etc. with the knowledge that an average user expects the best of all world's, so they try to target that. Modern autos are light years ahead of transmissions from years ago and do a very good job if being friendly in daily driving and firm and quick during spirited action, but because of the inevitable compromise for the targeted average user, improvements can be made. That being said, stock this transmission is very good and shifts just fine for most users as intended. I just do not mind at all how a good tune firms things up beyond that.
Here’s my tune from Unleashed..

71837D6E-6A32-4077-B4F4-738741EFDDB9.jpeg

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

Awesome! Fantastic numbers for just a tune. I thought about going with Unleashed, but after dealing with 5-Star with trucks before, I decided to go with them. Most of these tunes are very close to each other, so I think it boils down to how they treat you IMHO. I would like to dyno mine eventually, but I'm happy with it and it is VERY strong. Surprising actually. I just got an E30 tune to try eventually... For fun times.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales

I have Torrie's 93 Octane Tune......he did both of my previous Focus ST's and they all work for me! Increased performance, shifts better and easy to daily drive.

That being said....I still might buy the 5-Star Tune just to see ;)

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have Torrie's 93 Octane Tune......he did both of my previous Focus ST's and they all work for me! Increased performance, shifts better and easy to daily drive.

That being said....I still might buy the 5-Star Tune just to see ;)
Make sure you Dyno both ...
Regards

5startuning

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
5startuning.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Custom Tuner

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

RangerVA

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Just my .02, I was on the fence about a tune but after reading our Ranger expert Phil’s input I definitely won’t be. This only further backs up what he was talking about. I hope you get this sorted out though.
Where can I read Phil’s input?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Just wanted to chime in that over time I grew more and more disillusioned with 5-Star tunes. I was happy at first and then things went downhill over time. I am now on Unleashed and believe that they are the way to go if you are looking for a custom tune. If you just want canned, you might honestly be surprised with the canned SCT tune. It gets similar numbers to the FRPP tune. I like being able to send logs and tweak, so I went with a custom tune. I think most on here would be happy with Unleashed or a canned tune from SCT or FRPP (Ford Performance).

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to chime in that over time I grew more and more disillusioned with 5-Star tunes. I was happy at first and then things went downhill over time.
You never actually clarified what the problem is.

Oh he is disillusioned. Well gee-golly that sure helps a whole lot...

Downhill from there? Well shit thanks for giving us a heads up!
Sponsored