Issues with 5-Star tune

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I will start this post by saying 5 star's tune does everything that is advertised and the power gains during acceleration are quite enjoyable. I also dont want to bash on 5 star but I have had lots of trouble since getting my tune from them.

First, I’d like to talk about drivability of the truck with this tune. I ordered an adaptive, daily/tow, and performance tune. The first thing I noticed after installing the tune was a much stronger exhaust smell in my garage when parking my truck, probably not a big deal (other than potential fuel economy loss). I assume this is due to the truck running rich to protect itself from running too lean. I also noticed that with any of the tunes provided, while the trucks acceleration and upshifting are improved, any time I am decelerating, I feel my truck shudder hard 1-3 times as it's downshifting through the gears. It's noticeable enough that my passengers have asked me if my truck is supposed to do that. It got so annoying that I took the tune off of the truck and called 5 Star. After several attempts to get a human on the phone, someone answered and we had a great conversation where I was told they would send me an updated tune and that I should try a different tune on the truck in the meantime (I was using the adaptive tune). So, I switched over to the daily/tow tune. The same drive train shudder existed here too. On this tune, one night on the interstate I did a WOT pull while passing a car in a different lane. While passing, suddenly I felt a large drop in power and my gauge cluster flashed a message saying "pre collision assistance not available" and my check engine light came on. At this point the truck seemed to be in some type of limp mode. On the rest of the trip back home, the vehicle was in a low power mode and would not shift gears correctly. The previous mentioned shudder happened every single time I let off the gas pedal. Upon arriving at my house, I hooked up my SCT tuner to check what codes were being thrown and they were P0068 (MAF Throttle Position Correlation) & P0471 (Exhaust Pressure Sensor). I cleared the codes, set the vehicle back to stock, and the truck ran fine at that point. A couple of days later I applied the updated tune that was mentioned earlier to address the shuddering drivetrain issues. I can’t say that I really noticed any change here and at this point I had been trying to call 5 star tuning for several days to talk through my issues. As of now, I’ve called them several times, left a voicemail and sent an email all with no response.

Now, let’s talk about fuel economy. As I was suspicious about the strong exhaust smell mentioned at the beginning of this saga, I wanted to test my fuel economy on a long-distance road trip I had been planning. I recently drove out west from the east coast and had the updated adaptive tune applied when I began my trip out there. I used mid-grade fuel the whole time (89 on east coast and 87 further west). The weather was perfect on this drive and I experienced almost no traffic. As seen in the attached photo (1), I averaged 17.3 MPG over 1500+ miles of continuous interstate driving. The Rangers fuel tank is not the largest and I was quite frustrated by the end of this drive with how frequently I had to stop for gas and that I could almost watch the fuel hand move down. Upon arriving at my destination, I decided to remove the tune hoping that my fuel economy would go up a little. On the return leg of this trip I still had the vehicle set to stock. Looking at the other attached photo (2) you can see I averaged 19.1 MPG on the return leg of the trip. Some things to note about the return trip are that the trip started with roughly an hour of stop/go traffic due to poor timing on my part. Then, through the entirety of the great plains, there were very heavy winds that negatively affected my fuel economy pretty significantly while watching the instant fuel economy display in the gauge cluster. Also, I used regular gas the whole way (85 out west, 87 in the east). I am adamant about using cruise control and both legs of the trip I mostly had it set between 78-83 depending on speed limit.

I am really wondering if my drivability issues are actually the tune, or if I have one of the shuddering issues mentioned on other threads and the tune just exacerbates it. Is my fuel economy on par with what others are seeing? I'd really like to hear anyone else running one of 5-Star's tunes weigh in with what they've experienced.

EDIT: For clarity I drove from South Carolina to Colorado so there was an elevation gain on the way out there and a decrease on the return trip. As noted, I did incur very heavy winds on the return trip (for about the first 8 hours) so that could have negated any difference there. My feeling is that the winds actually skewed the fuel economy in the tunes favor as once I got out of the great plains, my fuel economy average steadily increased for the next 900+ miles of the trip.

East2West_zpsrbg2v0o5.jpg
West2East_zpsemdkblwe.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Just my .02, I was on the fence about a tune but after reading our Ranger expert Phil’s input I definitely won’t be. This only further backs up what he was talking about. I hope you get this sorted out though.

Smitty908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I’ve had my 5Star tune on now for about 3k miles.

I’ve had maybe a slight drop in fuel economy, but I use the 93 performance tune. (Also could be attributed to the skinny pedal being more fun to push)

OP, I had that exact same experience you did with the limp mode / message. However after I parked the truck and the next time I cranked it, the message was gone and the truck drove perfectly with no action from me. I’m not so sure that it wasn’t related to the collision avoidance camera and my speed. (I was doing the same thing you did, going over 80mph at heavy throttle) it seemed to happen as I was passing another car. I thought maybe the system freaked out because it “saw” another vehicle near my path while accelerating hard.

Regardless, it hasn’t done it again, even during WOT moments.

As far as the downshift shudder, mine is a little abrupt when it shifts down into 1st, but it seems less prone to do it if I decelerate slowly vs stopping quickly. I consider it a minor annoyance vs the performance gains.

Cerwin D. Vega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT 4x4
Averaging 80 mph with 85 octane over the divide through a long stretch across the plains in high winds; 19.1 does not seem to far out of an expected range in my opinion. I would hope it would stay above 20-21 mpg in those conditions but I have yet to rode trip mine.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Averaging 80 mph with 85 octane over the divide through a long stretch across the plains in high winds; 19.1 does not seem to far out of an expected range in my opinion. I would hope it would stay above 20-21 mpg in those conditions but I have yet to rode trip mine.

It's not bad and I would say you're correct that it should be in the 20-21 mpg range but there are so many variables it's hard to say.. I averaged a little better than that (19.5) on my last trip and we were climbing in elevation for most of the way 1000' - 5000' at 75-80 mph and 87 octane. I also have a 2.5" level kit and larger tires so it's about what I expected. I've been tossing the idea of a tune around for a few months now but still not sure what I'm going to do. I like what @Doc has from Unleashed where the D position is cleaned up a bit and the main tune is in the S position. If I end up doing one this is the one it will be. :)

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Why would you run 85 octane with a tune when Ford even recommends 91? I would think when you’re pushing the engine a little more with a tune you would definitely want to run 91...

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Why would you run 85 octane with a tune when Ford even recommends 91? I would think when you’re pushing the engine a little more with a tune you would definitely want to run 91...
I thought Ford recommended 87?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
For the time being..l would run a tank of 93..
Regards

OP
OP
austinb324

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Copy Paste from the owners manual:
Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
I only ran 85 on the first couple fill ups of the return trip where 85 is the "regular" gas in Colorado. And I never ran 85 when the tune was applied. It's mentioned above that with the adaptive tune, I ran midgrade which is 87-89 depending on location. The adaptive tune is specifically designed to adjust itself to octane levels between 85-93.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
OP
OP
austinb324

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I’ve had my 5Star tune on now for about 3k miles.

I’ve had maybe a slight drop in fuel economy, but I use the 93 performance tune. (Also could be attributed to the skinny pedal being more fun to push)

OP, I had that exact same experience you did with the limp mode / message. However after I parked the truck and the next time I cranked it, the message was gone and the truck drove perfectly with no action from me. I’m not so sure that it wasn’t related to the collision avoidance camera and my speed. (I was doing the same thing you did, going over 80mph at heavy throttle) it seemed to happen as I was passing another car. I thought maybe the system freaked out because it “saw” another vehicle near my path while accelerating hard.

Regardless, it hasn’t done it again, even during WOT moments.

As far as the downshift shudder, mine is a little abrupt when it shifts down into 1st, but it seems less prone to do it if I decelerate slowly vs stopping quickly. I consider it a minor annoyance vs the performance gains.
It seems that you are probably onto something with the collision system possibly being the culprit. I wonder if it's related to the tune at all.

I think I will try the 93 octane performance tune for a few tanks and see how things go. I have not spent much time with that one applied. Something in my head has been telling me to use the daily and adaptive tunes to preserve reliability since they are less aggressive tunes.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Copy Paste from the owners manual:

I only ran 85 on the first couple fill ups of the return trip where 85 is the "regular" gas in Colorado. And I never ran 85 when the tune was applied. It's mentioned above that with the adaptive tune, I ran midgrade which is 87-89 depending on location. The adaptive tune is specifically designed to adjust itself to octane levels between 85-93.
Interesting, I could’ve swore I read that 91 and up was recommended.

Walkeraviator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Crew
Vehicle Showcase
Just a small note on fuel economy. An unmodified truck with zero wind will get slightly worse gas mileage heading from east coast out west than in the opposite direction due to the overall change in elevation.

Ranger in Maine

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 1965 VW Bus,
Occupation
Curmudgeon (retired)
Just a small note on fuel economy. An unmodified truck with zero wind will get slightly worse gas mileage heading from east coast out west than in the opposite direction due to the overall change in elevation.

Wait........assuming you go from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and you go the exact same route both ways, isn’t the overall change in elevation 0?
Sponsored