Help me decide…Livernois or 5 Star tune?

livetoski78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2020 Explorer ST
Occupation
Software Engineer, EMT, Amateur Rocket Scientist
Well, I was going to go for the Ford Performance tune, but it seems like they’re leaving a ton of power on the table. In researching, it seems like either Livernois or 5 Star is the way to go. I originally wanted the warranty that comes with the Ford Performance tune, but seeing as I log at least 20,000 miles a year, the warranty isn’t going to last long anyway. I just can’t decide which one to go with.

Livernois claims 80 hp / 100 tq with their 93 performance tune. 5 Star isn’t quite as high, but I like the fact that they offer revisions once I add an exhaust, downpipe, or intercooler. Any other benefits of one vs. the other? I’m looking for best MPG on an 87 tune and max performance on a 93 or 94 tune. I also tow occassionally. I’m going to be setting tunes based upon need.
Sponsored

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
It seems like your goal is max power, so I would go with the one that gives you that.

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well, I was going to go for the Ford Performance tune, but it seems like they’re leaving a ton of power on the table. In researching, it seems like either Livernois or 5 Star is the way to go. I originally wanted the warranty that comes with the Ford Performance tune, but seeing as I log at least 20,000 miles a year, the warranty isn’t going to last long anyway. I just can’t decide which one to go with.

Livernois claims 80 hp / 100 tq with their 93 performance tune. 5 Star isn’t quite as high, but I like the fact that they offer revisions once I add an exhaust, downpipe, or intercooler. Any other benefits of one vs. the other? I’m looking for best MPG on an 87 tune and max performance on a 93 or 94 tune. I also tow occassionally. I’m going to be setting tunes based upon need.
I have the Livernois tune and really like it. You get all 5 of their tunes to try out and it's nice to be able to flash back to the 87-89 tune and still get some performance over stock. I would also look at the Unleashed tune. There's a lot of guys running that one too and Torrie (the owner) can make adjustments for you when ever you add additions performance items. Doc @Doc has it and I think @landiscarrier also is running it so maybe they'll see this and be able to give you more info on it.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If warranty is important, 5 Star offers several different warranty programs with their tunes and they do stand behind it.

I'm not the norm on here but I had a poor experience with my Livernois tuner (I'm currently back to stock).

Most others seem to have had good luck with it.

While the FPP does seem to leave a bit of HP on the table, it apparently doesn't require flashing a different tune if you need to tow something.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I had an Unleashed tune on my 15 Ecoboost Mustang and was extremely happy with the performance and Torrie's customer service is second to none.

For the Ranger I went for the FP tune as much for the improved shifting of the tranny as the performance. While the shifting was much improved it still would wind up in to high a gear when cruising under some situations. When the gas prices started going up I decided I wanted to be able to run 87.

Since I still have the SCT tuner from my 15 Mustang I decided to contact Unleashed, it is only $250 for a custom tune if you have the tuner. I requested an 87 performance tune with custom transmission tuning. Off idle through the mid range the 87 tune is every bit as good as the FP tune, it does fall off on the top end but I seldom push the Ranger up there. Even if the gas prices come back down I will be staying with the 87 tune. For the transmission I requested tuning that has the same shift points as tow mode but with out hanging the rpm before an upshift and it being as aggressive down shifting. I have had him make one revision to the original tune and it is 98% there. I am going to give it a little more time to see if the adaptive learning gets rid of the hunting that happens occasionally between 8th and 9th. Otherwise it keeps the rpm in the ideal range between 1500 and 2000 for cruising.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

I understand wanting to go with max power amd all wich is plenty fair but I will also state reliability is something to look for as well. With that I can Say Livernois is the better way to go. Can they update the tunes for different upgrades? Yes but understand if you start going big with an upgraded turbo or want to run E85 you need to take the truck strait to them. I ran the Livernois Tow Tune for almost 2 years and loved it!! Never had an issue. Others run the performance tune and enjoy the hell out of it.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Have Livernois. Generally pleased with it. Want to try Unleashed but kids will want to go to college so truck spending is paused. ?

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
I have livernois and it's good but if you want max performance I would lean towards unleashed because they can edit the tune to your liking. The livernois performance is kind of annoying in stop and go traffic. Some people like it though and i wouldnt mind keep it tuned to it if i could some how limit the power in traffic. I do like that you get multiple tunes from livernois though.

I avoided fpp because you'll be stuck with 93 octane or go back to stock.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have livernois and it's good but if you want max performance I would lean towards unleashed because they can edit the tune to your liking. The livernois performance is kind of annoying in stop and go traffic. Some people like it though and i wouldnt mind keep it tuned to it if i could some how limit the power in traffic. I do like that you get multiple tunes from livernois though.

I avoided fpp because you'll be stuck with 93 octane or go back to stock.
Ask for the soft shift performance tune. Much more streetable and still has ? when you need them.

Jmarler

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Certified Hacker. Retired Veteran
Ask for the soft shift performance tune. Much more streetable and still has ? when you need them.
I had it on for awhile. Temporarily went back to stock and it's kind of hard to tell the difference. It does shift better but can't really tell otherwise on hp gain.
Sponsored