Fuel in oil

ZX10_AFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Occupation
Program Manager
Mine was the same. Appeared to have lots of soot in the oil. I wonder if the soot is worse because of the 87 octane gas (running richer to avoid knocking)?
Jumping in, first post.

GDI can lead to improper fuel atomization (depending on a few variables) because the time for the fuel to burn is less than if the fuel injector is further upstream (say, the intake manifold). Fuel can make its way into other areas if not all of is burned.

Higher octane should burn faster. Iā€™m wondering if there is a trend with low octane being a contributing factor to this problem. Oil type and detergent usage is also a factor. For example, there are special oils designed for GDI to promote better fuel atomization.

IIRC, anything over 2.4% fuel in the oil is cause for concern. Less than that I believe is acceptable for a GDI engine.

Rickfar

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 supercrew sport
Well i have had my oil changed 3X in 1746 miles on the clock I saw an issue at 500 miles and kind of played it off as being a new engine and rings not seated yet. Oil changed by dealer and was told to drive another 500 miles and check took it back in at 1500 miles and they saw increased level and told me they were ordering a HPFP gasket and told me it was back ordered( Lie) as I checked with parts and they told me they could get it from Memphis in 2 days So I called them out on it and they told me to bring truck in. They had trick for 4 days and when I called Day 3 they told me they did a Heat soak over night and found #4 injector leaking so they replaced. This all sounds like bull**** to me but I think they are just throwing sh** on the wall to see if it sticks.
I have never owned a vehicle that "made oil" but owned a few that it would disappear in Especially the old Vega's I have one that would use a quart in 50 miles until i got the engine sleeved old timers will remember them.
I don't blame the dealers as much as I blame Ford Engineer's as most dealers try to do the right thing but they are at a loss and my dealer showed me a email from one engineer that said I was not driving the truck enough (Letting it get hot) which is bull as I drive it like I stole it :)I do have the ford tune on it but this issue happened way before I got it.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Ford Customer Relations 1-800-392-3673

Just made a phone call to the above number. A somewhat frustrating experience to say the least but I least I made a case and got the case number for my issue. To summarize my customer care person.....I should just drive the truck as normal and give no concern to the fuel dilution. The lady actually said it should quit at 35,000 miles (quit getting fuel in the oil).

I am at a loss for words.....

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
IIRC, anything over 2.4% fuel in the oil is cause for concern. Less than that I believe is acceptable for a GDI engine.
I've said it before, but this gets at my biggest frustration with this situation: there's no real definition for the threshold above which fuel dilution is a problem in these engines. I've seen a lot of different numbers thrown out there, but I don't think I've ever seen any of the numbers justified.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Collected my sample today... Will get it shipped off this week. :thumbsup:
Be sure to add your results to the poll when you get them.

Some interesting ideas being discussed here. Would running premium help? Can someone with a fresh oil change, high fuel content and an empty gas tank be willing to run 91 octane for a few thousand miles to see how that goes?

I also have to wonder how breakin is affecting things. I break in engines hard, mostly because of my experience with fresh engines and compression testing kits on race bikes. A hard day at the track on a fresh engine and I watch my compression increase, while people who baby their motorcycles on the streets for 500 miles end up with a low compression oil burner.

When I got my Ranger I did not go easy on it at all. Maybe it was a factor in having <.5% fuel content in my oil due to better seated piston rings.

SomeJoDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
I have run premium fuel since my second tank. I first reported my problem at 1600 miles. Oil change and told to check back in a few week. I checked back in last Monday after only 120 miles and I was at the top hole of the stick. They asked me to drive 1000 miles or so and check back in.
Reported to the customer service line at Ford & mail a certified letter and got very little positive feedback. My service rep at the dealership did check in with Ford and I went in this afternoon to see what he heard back. Something about checking the crankcase vent for obstruction? The technician doesn't think it going to make any difference but I'm going to take the truck in next Monday. When they changed my oil they gave me a sample I sent in to Blackstone. They said they removed 6.7 quarts of oil but my report shows only 1.3% fuel. That amount of fuel dilution doesn't alarm me much but I am not sure about the sample because 6.7 quarts would be closer to 7%. I might take another sample before I take it in next week and see what the dilution is.

Reactions: Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I have run premium fuel since my second tank. I first reported my problem at 1600 miles. Oil change and told to check back in a few week. I checked back in last Monday after only 120 miles and I was at the top hole of the stick. They asked me to drive 1000 miles or so and check back in.
Reported to the customer service line at Ford & mail a certified letter and got very little positive feedback. My service rep at the dealership did check in with Ford and I went in this afternoon to see what he heard back. Something about checking the crankcase vent for obstruction? The technician doesn't think it going to make any difference but I'm going to take the truck in next Monday. When they changed my oil they gave me a sample I sent in to Blackstone. They said they removed 6.7 quarts of oil but my report shows only 1.3% fuel. That amount of fuel dilution doesn't alarm me much but I am not sure about the sample because 6.7 quarts would be closer to 7%. I might take another sample before I take it in next week and see what the dilution is.
Sounds like the 6.7 measurement was wrong...1.3% dilution is very good !
Regards

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Sounds like the 6.7 measurement was wrong...1.3% dilution is very good !
Regards
Or the oil was overfilled at the last change.

How many are verifying their oil is at the top of the hash marks after a change ?

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ll throw this out, not knowing yet if it was the issue: a couple of weeks ago the check engine light came on. Fuel vapor valve (fuel tank sensor) was the culprit. Slow fail; ultimately a simple valve replacement.

I was concurrently in discussion with Ford warranty on the oil level problem.

A Ford engineer spoke with the dealership and advised that the fuel vapor valve issue may have been pushing fuel vapors back into the motor, rather than the exhaust or fuel tank outlet, causing the slow rise in oil level and gas smell. When asked how that could get past circulation systems and into the crank case, Ford offered a reasonable theory.

Ill update after 500 or more miles when we check the level/system again.

May not have been the issue, but the explanation provided was reasonable and cautious; ā€œlets see if thatā€™s it, as it could be.ā€

Weā€™ll see how it goes and update.

Best recommendation Iā€™ve received was from the dealership advising me to open a case with Ford warranty and customer care. Donā€™t wait. (and thereā€™s little to lose by saying to Ford ā€œthe level is high, please fix itā€)

Helped the dealership elevate the matter internally (warranty repair) and forced formal recognition of a problem, now allowing easier ā€˜next stepsā€™ if this doesnā€™t work.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Is that enough gasoline to keep the intake valves clean without a catchcan?:fingerscrossed::giggle: ;)

Reactions: Doc

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Retired
Just got my results that dealer sent to black stone. Any concerns feel free to respond.
3B317FB6-9801-4290-BC02-0F053A705484.jpeg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Just got my results that dealer sent to black stone. Any concerns feel free to respond.
3B317FB6-9801-4290-BC02-0F053A705484.jpeg
Looks pretty good to my completely unqualified eye.

One odd observation though: your report says the flashpoint should be >375. I pulled up my first Blackstone report to compare numbers, and it says flashpoint should be >385. Looks back at other members' reports and they appear to be a mix of 375 and 385. That's a small variation for the folks who've had flashpoints measured <300, but it does add to my concern about how precise and reliable Blackstone's determination of % fuel is, since it's extrapolated from the drop in flashpoint.
Sponsored