Fuel in oil

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Phil I have a question maybe you can answer for me. Many times I'm working in my garage with door open truck parked in driveway no sounds coming from the truck, then one day I'm tinkering in the garage waiting for the wife and hear noise from truck sounds like fuel pump? Only difference is I have the fob sitting on work bench. Thanks Mike
It's been confirmed that the sound is activated when FordPass is "talking" to your truck through the onboard modem. I never got confirmation personally whether or not this energizes the fuel pump, but it sure as hell sounds like it to me.
Sponsored

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
It's been confirmed that the sound is activated when FordPass is "talking" to your truck through the onboard modem. I never got confirmation personally whether or not this energizes the fuel pump, but it sure as hell sounds like it to me.
It's a high pitched whistle.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Phil I have a question maybe you can answer for me. Many times I'm working in my garage with door open truck parked in driveway no sounds coming from the truck, then one day I'm tinkering in the garage waiting for the wife and hear noise from truck sounds like fuel pump? Only difference is I have the fob sitting on work bench. Thanks Mike
Hi,

It is my experience that the fuel pump from time to time when the fob is with in range will run the fuel pump to keep the fuel rail on the engine charged. Same is if you open the door, you can hear the fuel pump run for a brief period of time. Since my Ford Pass is deactivated, I do not believe the Ford pass interfacing the vehicle is the noise.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co.

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Hi,

It is my experience that the fuel pump from time to time when the fob is with in range will run the fuel pump to keep the fuel rail on the engine charged. Same is if you open the door, you can hear the fuel pump run for a brief period of time. Since my Ford Pass is deactivated, I do not believe the Ford pass interfacing the vehicle is the noise.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co.
Phil Thanks
I was just wondering if some folks that are having fuel in oil issues have their fobs close enough to repeatedly trigger the fuel pump. I can see where that could possibly allow fuel to the crankcase especially if you have bad injectors.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Here's an update for everyone. As I stated earlier, after getting the injectors replaced, there was a slow rise in the oil level, but it never quite got to the top fill hole. It stabilized there for a while, so I quit paying such close attention for a while. I've checked a few times recently, and amazingly the oil level has actually come back down to where I filled it! (And no leaks of course) I suppose initially a little more fuel got into the oil, nothing to worry about though, then the rate of fuel dilution later was exceeded by the evaporation of fuel through the crankcase ventilation system. So the oil level went back down.

To make a long story short, if you are having a problem with oil level climbing excessively on the dipstick, get your injectors replaced! I wouldn't be worried if you are just one of the people with 2% dilution on a Blackstone oil report though. This is a DI Turbo engine, a little fuel dilution is bound to happen, especially with short trips or city driving. No one should accept oil that is climbing several inches above the high point on the dipstick, though.
Wade , let me know if your issue stays straight with the injector change. Had the fuel pump changed helped but didn't totally fix the problem. After the fuel pump change oil rose to just under the top hole and stayed their for 1200 miles.Didn't want to leave that oil in, changed again. Oil level rose again about the same amount. Wondering if fuel injector
replacement will help my issue! Thanks Jim

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Wade , let me know if your issue stays straight with the injector change. Had the fuel pump changed helped but didn't totally fix the problem. After the fuel pump change oil rose to just under the top hole and stayed their for 1200 miles.Didn't want to leave that oil in, changed again. Oil level rose again about the same amount. Wondering if fuel injector
replacement will help my issue! Thanks Jim
If you only had the hpfp replaced, I would definitely try to get those injectors replaced since you've still got the problem! I'll keep you guys updated!

RangerAl87

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Tech
So after reading this thread I decided to check the oil on my ranger 3053 miles on the dash, oil level seems high and smells of fuel, going to change at 5000 and do a sample
20200727_194032.jpg
15958935222677550351002741893150.jpg

Reactions: Doc

HomeytheClown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Rangerr Lariat
Occupation
IT
The oil separator is designed to do exactly what it sounds like, separate the oil from the crankcase gasses and return clean air to the intake manifold. However, we’ve seen that many stock oil separators compromise effectiveness for cost, and they aren’t always very effective. The stock oil separator also returns the blow-by to the oil pan, which can contaminate the oil and reduce its effectiveness over time.

Hmmm.....Blow-by = Oil and Fuel = Higher Oil Level that is contaminated with fuel.

Brisko_Michigan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
USG
Vehicle Showcase
Took the truck in again. Techs and service rep all smelled the dipstick. Fuel. Agreed.

Ran sniffer tests, diagnostics, and looked at the HPFP. No known issues, but agreed it’s a problem.

Changed the oil. Come back in 500. Test the oil and seek resolution then if the stench remains.

Driveway smell test today indicated the gas smell remains.

Mostly, I blame you guys. This forum is like WebMD. Don’t google a rash, you may just have it. That and my check book is on fire with mods I didn’t know I ‘needed’.

Perhaps I’ll get new fuel injectors. They’re due for replacement at 5,000 miles....right? ?

2019hotpepper4x4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Just had my oil changed at 5k. Same thing, oil seemed high, seemed to smell of fuel, at least a bit. Talked to the service tech. Nothing official on the Ford bulletins. He made a note of it on my service record, changed the oil and told me to keep an eye on it and let them know. I will say that even after they changed it it seemed high on the stick to me but they claim they put in the Ford recommended amount for my engine. I guess we will see if it continues to climb the stick. At least they noted it and my extended warranty wot run out for a while so I’m comfortable at this point.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Just had my oil changed at 5k. Same thing, oil seemed high, seemed to smell of fuel, at least a bit. Talked to the service tech. Nothing official on the Ford bulletins. He made a note of it on my service record, changed the oil and told me to keep an eye on it and let them know. I will say that even after they changed it it seemed high on the stick to me but they claim they put in the Ford recommended amount for my engine. I guess we will see if it continues to climb the stick. At least they noted it and my extended warranty wot run out for a while so I’m comfortable at this point.
Putting the 6.2 Quarts in as recommend does bring it up a little over the top hash line! That's my experience anyway!

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Update: As those who have followed this thread know, fuel in the oil has been an ongoing problem the last 6000mi for me. Dealer changed out HPFP and fuel injectors and after ~2,000mi the oil level was up to the twist again. I just got home from the dealer from my 8am appt. They admitted the oil was very high and reeked of fuel and was very "thin". They told me that Ford wants them to tear down the engine, well they mentioned removing the cylinder head, and having a Ford engineer look at it. They are going to work out a schedule with the engineer and get back with me. I am still driving the truck. I had asked them if they changed the oil and they said they removed enough to get the level down to normal. I asked them, does that mean the oil left in there is any less diluted than when I arrived? Good grief, thankfully someone who I assumed was an upper level, piped in and told them they needed to change the oil. Sometimes, I wonder what that ASE certification actually means?

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
Had a pretty good fuel smell around 2500. No raised level. Got an oil change where they slightly overfilled, just above the dot. Checked it today. Level is slightly below dot. Don't notice much fuel smell. Think I'm around 3500. 1-19 date. Hope y'all get resolution and thanks for posting. BTW I drive mostly long trips. I will keep checking.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Putting the 6.2 Quarts in as recommend does bring it up a little over the top hash line! That's my experience anyway!
Mine was up a little over the top hash line when delivered. Not quite halfway up to the hole.

But then it's not easy to get a very accurate reading after dragging the dipstick up through an oily tube 2-3 times.
Sponsored