Fuel in oil

Fleckbass

First Name
BRUCE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT FX4 WHITE
I'll be watching for excessive blow by also. I'll add that my trips are mixed highway and mountain roads. I'm not afraid to tach it up. I also use trailer control for engine breaking down steep hills.
Sponsored

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
they should just send you a new motor an ship the one with all the blow by oil up to detroit for the engineers to break down an learn from.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Well, I'm seriously considering a Ranger but after wading through 48 pages of "Fuel in the Oil" maybe not.

How widespread does this problem seem to be? Surely all Rangers can't be afflicted.

Thanks
Cliff

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I'm seriously considering a Ranger but after wading through 48 pages of "Fuel in the Oil" maybe not.

How widespread does this problem seem to be? Surely all Rangers can't be afflicted.

Thanks
Cliff
Almost 15k miles here and nothing significant. It appears to be relatively limited and may be due to either a faulty HPFP or faulty injectors. It does not seem (to me) to be a design flaw.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED

Thanks
Cliff
So far , so good here.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger

Thanks
Cliff
I wouldn't let it stop you. I love my Ranger, and it was fixed with just a new set of injectors. Just check it before you buy it, and keep an eye on it after.

RangerAl87

First Name
al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
Tech
Could the the fuel octane level have anything to do with it? I'm currently using 87 going to be switching over to 93 based on all the info I've read in the forums

OP
OP

Wade

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Could the the fuel octane level have anything to do with it? I'm currently using 87 going to be switching over to 93 based on all the info I've read in the forums
Mine did it with both 91 ethanol free, and 87. Only thing that fixed it was injectors. Perhaps coincidentally I also switched to Shell Rotella at the same time.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Mine did it with both 91 ethanol free, and 87. Only thing that fixed it was injectors. Perhaps coincidentally I also switched to Shell Rotella at the same time.
Totally fixed now ?
Regards
Doc

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I haven't smelled any fuel in the oil or seen anything unusual. But, here are the pics from my last catch can dump. It was 1500 miles after the last dump and the 10K oil change. I can't tell you what it is actually catching, but it seems to be more fuel since it evaporated so fast after bumping it in the oil drain pan. And as you can see my dipstick looks normal. Mostly highway miles at 60 to 75 MPH.

20200804_171742.jpg
20200804_171556.jpg

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Thanks
Cliff
There are over 6,000 members on this site. Only a handful are experiencing issues. Sure it's a big deal if it's happening to you but it certainly isn't a widespread problem.

Also worth noting many of the folks that post here about the fuel in oil issues have a brand new truck. Fuel in the oil is normal when the motor is new and the rings have not yet seated.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Its all GDI engines. But from what I hear, couple people had injector issues?

On any GDI, its mainly from repeated cold starts and not getting up to full operating temp. GDI engines have an extremely short window to atomize fuel (vs port or carb) and if you combine that with cold start enrichment, catalytic converter warmup enrichment, cold start cat warmup high idle; it all adds up to more fuel in oil.

A catch can won't keep the fuel out of the oil btw. What is left in your can would normally be burned through the motor and was already in your oil in the first place. It definitely keeps the trash out of your intake though.

Edit: Grammer
Sponsored

Last edited: