Fuel in oil

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Everyone needs to keep in mind that there have been exactly ZERO 2.3 Clevelands lost to an oil dilution issue. ZERO. It’s no wonder Ford has decided to ignore this..

Just because you “feel” like something is a problem does not actually make it a problem.

Your mama was exaggerating, You are not the center of the universe.
And you know this how?

Reactions: Doc

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I just had my 2019 in for The Works plus an check engine light. I asked if Ford had changed its position on ignoring the rising oil on the dipstick. In 4,000 miles it had gone from the top of the hashmarks to above the round hole. The Ford service center's response was that there was not new guidance from Ford. Continue to ignore the issue is still the official Ford guidance to Ford service centers.
I was told that the only way Ford would know people are complaining is if there is a warranty claim. There can't be a warranty claim if Ford service centers are refusing - at Ford's direction - to even look into the issue. And if an engine blows up after 60k miles, there won't be a warranty claim.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I just had my 2019 in for The Works plus an check engine light. I asked if Ford had changed its position on ignoring the rising oil on the dipstick. In 4,000 miles it had gone from the top of the hashmarks to above the round hole. The Ford service center's response was that there was not new guidance from Ford. Continue to ignore the issue is still the official Ford guidance to Ford service centers.
I was told that the only way Ford would know people are complaining is if there is a warranty claim. There can't be a warranty claim if Ford service centers are refusing - at Ford's direction - to even look into the issue. And if an engine blows up after 60k miles, there won't be a warranty claim.
What was the cause of your CEL?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
And you know this how?
Exact same way you can know, Through paying attention and research. Do you have an example of someone who’s blown one of these engines on account of my oil dilution?

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
After asking that my local Ford Service Center at least document that I requested they look to see if anything could be causing my oil dilution issue, this is what was written on the service order:

FD183315-7AA7-4CDC-A5A6-6841D433B8A1.jpeg

ccasanova22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
I personally know of several EcoBoost owners that have had timing chain failures and were mostly operated in cold, short trip operation. Both truck owners had theirs covered under warranty and the one car owner decided to get the repairs done on their own after no help from Ford (out of warranty).

But the common thing seems to be cold climates, short trips, and city driving where the engines did not get up to “closed loop” state.

I think the engineers have designed for some dilution and a 5W-30 thinning to 5W-20 should’ve been covered by their design tolerances. It’s the ones losing parts under warranty that seem to be the oddballs…

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
I did my first oil change since purchasing my truck, and sent a sample to Blackstone. According to the CarFax, the oil was changed by the selling dealer at 14,700 miles. I changed it at 17,800 miles, so about 3000 miles on the oil. I assume* that the dealer I bought it from used the default synthetic blend oil for the change. I put in Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 synthetic.

Blackstone Labs showed about 2% fuel dilution. Kind of disappointing, but not dangerous at this point.

1686057850915.png

The plus side: the vehicle was CPO ("Ford Gold") so has a long extended warranty (still under original factory warranty, and has another 3 years past that). Also the plus side: fuel injector replacement seems to fix this, and seems pretty cheap to do even if warranty for some reason didn't cover it.

To back up ccasanova22's thought: in the winter I did drive the truck short distances often in the cold. I might try and use it less this coming winter, and will pull some samples for Blackstone in the fall before the cold hits, and the winter when it's been cold a while.

When in doubt send a sample to Blackstone or another lab. My truck did smell slightly of fuel in the winter, nothing in the fall or spring or summer though. Kind of makes me wonder if something about parts contraction in extreme cold, lets fuel dribble out of the injectors while the truck is off, or something. In Iowa the winter pretty regularly sees below 0F/-20C temperatures. But yeah at least replacing them seems to fix the problem for others and isn't too bad to do.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
They better buy before Tacomas get updated with the turbo engine. Fuel in oil is common in turbo engines.
I guess "common" can't really mean normal, or there has always been something wrong my turbos.
I would guess that if there is a problem it is the Direct Injection , and that's likely due more to driver error than engineering defect.
Last time I saw a serious "gas in the oil issue" it was on a carbureted V8 which was driven one block to work with a trip home for lunch every day in the winter!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My last oil change I pulled almost 8 quarts of oil (I put in 6.8 or so with the extended filter). I didn't really have a good way to measure, but the smell of fuel after 5K miles was very apparent on first starts. I'll be paying more attention this change as it's the first time I've ever noticed anything like this on my truck and I have 66K miles now. It is the first year where I drove short trips frequently without an long (and hot) trips in between.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have always saved my used oil to burn brush piles and stuff like that , the oil that comes out of my Ranger is FAR more efficient at getting these fires going ... silver linings people !!!
Be careful Robert. Remember what happened to Uncle Leo. :oops::shock:

Uncle Leo.gif

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Be careful Robert. Remember what happened to Uncle Leo. :oops::shock:
Most of the time i am almost carful when i do stuff like that , my 50 + year track record does have some spikes in it though... NICE PROFILE PIC ! btw , its the opposite of your old one , but kind of the same , new but familiar , sweet...
Sponsored