Fuel in oil

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I’m guessing it’s lost. Does USPS even know its an oil sample, I.e. is it indicated on the package?
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I’m guessing it’s lost. Does USPS even know its an oil sample, I.e. is it indicated on the package?
Rob,
Yes. USPS in Fort Wayne told me they get huge volumes of these oil samples coming into Blackstone. The outer brown bottle that you send to Blackstone is familiar and easily recognizable by USPS. The Ft. Wayne office said they are working with Blackstone to try and get them to use packaging instead.

I'm hoping the sample is not lost because it is from my 1st oil change and very important to know the results of it :)

Reactions: Doc

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Blackstone uses this mailer system. You put the sample in the white bottle and insert it in the brown bottle. Then attach the prepaid mailing label to the brown bottle and mail. I was not comfortable with this mailing setup but figured they had done a lot of business and evidently it would be OK :)

Blackstone mailer.jpg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I took my oil sample physically to the Post Office on 09/02/21 and got a receipt. I placed a tracer on it with USPS on 09/09/21 and they didn't follow up on it. Called them Friday and they didn't know where the item is and said to wait a few more days. Called Blackstone and they said that the samples take longer than normal mail to arrive because they are oil and USPS processes them differently than normal mail. Its been 17 days since mailing it.

Have any of you had this kind of delay on your samples?

Checked the tracking status this morning and still no update as to it's location (other than it is still in transit) since it left my Post Office:

1632055568671.png
I used to live in Indiana just a couple hours from Ft Wayne, and even being that close my samples would take a week or more to get there. I only checked the tracking on one of them and it seemed to get held up in Indianapolis for several days. 17 days is quite long time, but I wouldn't give up on it yet.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I used to live in Indiana just a couple hours from Ft Wayne, and even being that close my samples would take a week or more to get there. I only checked the tracking on one of them and it seemed to get held up in Indianapolis for several days. 17 days is quite long time, but I wouldn't give up on it yet.
Thanks for the input Joe :)

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Last edited:

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Last edited:

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
so i have read 48 pages so far........ with that said, here is my story.

bought new 2021 fx4 in june. changed oil at 1400 miles to valv synthetic and mobile1 filter. I do this with all my new cars. gets the old crap out from break-in. the manual is quiet on doing this.

the level to me looked fine as it was in between the top and bottom dots- i didn't look closely at owners manual till before the next change. Just noted the min and max dots.

did the next oil change around 3900 miles. gets rest of break-in stuff out and i expected to then go 5k miles on that change.

sometime right before 2nd change I got more in tune with the oil and noticed it rising towards the top dot. so i decided to do another change earlier.

i know for a fact as i documented things, that the oil was at the top of the hash range after each change- took for a drive then waited 15 minutes then checked. after the 1st change i paid more attention and noticed it rising. It got near the top dot, so i changed it for second time earlier than expected.

after this second change, i still noticed it creeping up towards top dot. not by alot though. So i decided to bring it up to the dealer as i was there for the 0-15mph shudder fix. he said they would change oil but i need to pay for it. so i did. the general manager was there as well and was very nice about the whole thing and stated they needed to do the oil change in order to show ford that there is a problem, if there is.

well, that was at 4500 miles and i have 6000 now. And the level the other day after driving 4 hours on the highway was a hair below the top dot. The next morning i checked it cold. the level is right in the middle of the top of the hash zone and the top dot.

i will say however, that i checked it while i was out of town, prolly 5700 miles on truck, and the level was at top of hash zone COLD. I thought their oil (semi-synth) vs my synth was the cause and maybe it just needed broke in more. After driving back the 300 miles or so, it rose dramatically it seems UNLESS where i checked it up there was not level and perhaps it was just reading low due to a slight angle where it was parked. it isn't steep there but there is a very slight angle where the hood would be slightly higher than the rear of truck.

i called dealer this morning and spoke with the service manager. he remembered me from last time. he told me that i am good at this point and that it really needs to be checked cold- after 4 hours of sitting or more, and that the 15 minute after hot check is just a guideline. he said at this point there is no problem and if i am looking for a problem to bring it in and they can drain some oil or change oil but it would not be under warranty.

he also said until the level gets past top dot COLD, there is no problem.

i mentioned that the manual states to check 15 mins after hot and nothing about a cold check. he repeated himself and said that the manual blurb about the 15 mins is just a guideline. i also mentioned engine damage if past the top dot HOT per manual. He repeated himself.

as i have a road trip coming up soon, will drive about 500 miles, i will jsut send it and watch it. If it get past the top dot HOT, i plan on sending this up the flagpole at that dealer and corporate pointing to their manual saying that the level HOT is what matters, not cold........

the reason i am so OCD about this is that if i drive this thing with the oil "overfull", even due to fuel dilution, ford might be able to say i neglected it and not fix any damages that arise. their manual says what it says contrary to what this particular service manager says.

as of now, it's "fine" as it's below the top dot HOT. If after this next trip it's higher per the manual, i will take a tactical pause and tell ford dealer and ford they need to address this or i want something in writing that i am not going to have any warranty issues if i drive it with the level past the top dot HOT.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
so i have read 48 pages so far........ with that said, here is my story.

bought new 2021 fx4 in june. changed oil at 1400 miles to valv synthetic and mobile1 filter. I do this with all my new cars. gets the old crap out from break-in. the manual is quiet on doing this.

the level to me looked fine as it was in between the top and bottom dots- i didn't look closely at owners manual till before the next change. Just noted the min and max dots.

did the next oil change around 3900 miles. gets rest of break-in stuff out and i expected to then go 5k miles on that change.

sometime right before 2nd change I got more in tune with the oil and noticed it rising towards the top dot. so i decided to do another change earlier.

i know for a fact as i documented things, that the oil was at the top of the hash range after each change- took for a drive then waited 15 minutes then checked. after the 1st change i paid more attention and noticed it rising. It got near the top dot, so i changed it for second time earlier than expected.

after this second change, i still noticed it creeping up towards top dot. not by alot though. So i decided to bring it up to the dealer as i was there for the 0-15mph shudder fix. he said they would change oil but i need to pay for it. so i did. the general manager was there as well and was very nice about the whole thing and stated they needed to do the oil change in order to show ford that there is a problem, if there is.

well, that was at 4500 miles and i have 6000 now. And the level the other day after driving 4 hours on the highway was a hair below the top dot. The next morning i checked it cold. the level is right in the middle of the top of the hash zone and the top dot.

i will say however, that i checked it while i was out of town, prolly 5700 miles on truck, and the level was at top of hash zone COLD. I thought their oil (semi-synth) vs my synth was the cause and maybe it just needed broke in more. After driving back the 300 miles or so, it rose dramatically it seems UNLESS where i checked it up there was not level and perhaps it was just reading low due to a slight angle where it was parked. it isn't steep there but there is a very slight angle where the hood would be slightly higher than the rear of truck.

i called dealer this morning and spoke with the service manager. he remembered me from last time. he told me that i am good at this point and that it really needs to be checked cold- after 4 hours of sitting or more, and that the 15 minute after hot check is just a guideline. he said at this point there is no problem and if i am looking for a problem to bring it in and they can drain some oil or change oil but it would not be under warranty.

he also said until the level gets past top dot COLD, there is no problem.

i mentioned that the manual states to check 15 mins after hot and nothing about a cold check. he repeated himself and said that the manual blurb about the 15 mins is just a guideline. i also mentioned engine damage if past the top dot HOT per manual. He repeated himself.

as i have a road trip coming up soon, will drive about 500 miles, i will jsut send it and watch it. If it get past the top dot HOT, i plan on sending this up the flagpole at that dealer and corporate pointing to their manual saying that the level HOT is what matters, not cold........

the reason i am so OCD about this is that if i drive this thing with the oil "overfull", even due to fuel dilution, ford might be able to say i neglected it and not fix any damages that arise. their manual says what it says contrary to what this particular service manager says.

as of now, it's "fine" as it's below the top dot HOT. If after this next trip it's higher per the manual, i will take a tactical pause and tell ford dealer and ford they need to address this or i want something in writing that i am not going to have any warranty issues if i drive it with the level past the top dot HOT.
Send a sample to Blackstone and it will put your worries and dots/hashes to rest

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about silverflash. There were a few extreme cases in here where it would go well above the top hole in the dip stick within 2K miles. Fuel dilution in an oil analysis was coming back at 8%-10% with 2-3K of use. Direct injection motors seem to get a higher rate of fuel dilution so the standard of less than 2 or 3 percent might be a little low. With a Direct injected turbo motor just change it every 5K.

I had a similar experience when my truck was new with high oil level but my oil analysis came back at under 2% with just under 5K on the oil an 18K on the motor. My personal opinion is some are changing to pure synthetic too early. I waited until I had 3,500 on the motor to allow the rings an moving parts to seat. I hadn't had a high oil level since.

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Send a sample to Blackstone and it will put your worries and dots/hashes to rest
I am not touching it as i paid ford for an oil change 1500 miles ago. i will let it get to the top dot then complain and demand they look into it at that point. it's their puppy now. i am not going to do anything to let them restart the clock on this.

if she seizes going up the mountain pass later this week, it's on them as RIGHT now the level is not at the top dot.
Sponsored