First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have had two reports done. Thought I would post the results here. I am a little concerned but not alarmed at this point. I will probably use 5000 miles as my oil change interval.
I wouldn't worry about 3% my last one was 5%. You should be alright with a good synthetic!
Sponsored

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I have had two reports done. Thought I would post the results here. I am a little concerned but not alarmed at this point. I will probably use 5000 miles as my oil change interval.
Nice. My fuel dilution was in an OCI that spanned the winter. The Ranger can safely get 10k miles (OLM ran to 0% / change oil warning) on synthetic oil. My TBN was still 1.4 at 9k miles OCI (OLM 8%). You're spending the extra $50-$100 changing the oil twice as often for no return.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
.............You're spending the extra $50-$100 changing the oil twice as often for no return.
Maybe yes. Maybe no. But I am OK with it. Cheap insurance. :)

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Maybe yes. Maybe no. But I am OK with it. Cheap insurance. :)
I'm with you Ave on the 5,000 mile oil change. I always changed every 3,000 when I used conventional, I figured to cover the additional cost of synthetic 2,000 more miles would do it and also give me piece of mind. Cheep insurance!

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
How do you know that?
Read a couple good articles that stated modern day synthetics can handle up to 4% fuel dilution. It also stated it was in their tests , although it did stand up to it they said it was not recommended. Legal line to cover their ass!

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Read a couple good articles that stated modern day synthetics can handle up to 4% fuel dilution. It also stated it was in their tests , although it did stand up to it they said it was not recommended. Legal line to cover their ass!
Please post links to articles

JustSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I would think that changing the oil more often (3000 miles) with a standard oil is better than using a full synthetic oil for extended oil changes. I guess using full synthetic and changing oil sooner might be better, but awfully expensive.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I would think that changing the oil more often (3000 miles) with a standard oil is better than using a full synthetic oil for extended oil changes. I guess using full synthetic and changing oil sooner might be better, but awfully expensive.
I think there is validity in that thinking. That is why I am going with the 5000 mile interval. I will continue to use full synthetic. I drive 8,000/10,000 miles per year so a couple hundred bucks a year is no biggie. My dilution level should be under 3% at all times. Probably less since there was 7,000 miles on the oil in my last test.

55F100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Not necessarily all that expensive at least for DIY oil changes, 5 qt. jugs of Mobil 1 synthetic are about $30-35 and are on sale occasionally...

Reactions: Doc

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
3000 mile oil changes here…still some dilution but oil is 0.5% …
Hi Doc,
Did you have your oil analysed by Blackstone? I sent a sample to them of my 1st oil change and waiting for the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I took my oil sample physically to the Post Office on 09/02/21 and got a receipt. I placed a tracer on it with USPS on 09/09/21 and they didn't follow up on it. Called them Friday and they didn't know where the item is and said to wait a few more days. Called Blackstone and they said that the samples take longer than normal mail to arrive because they are oil and USPS processes them differently than normal mail. Its been 17 days since mailing it.

Have any of you had this kind of delay on your samples?

Checked the tracking status this morning and still no update as to it's location (other than it is still in transit) since it left my Post Office:

1632055568671.png
Sponsored

Last edited: