Fox 2.0 Coilovers & Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks Available for Pre-Order!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like you have a lot of related experience with Ford truck suspensions. The new 2wd F150 I had on loan from my dealer for a couple of days was terrible when compared to my Ranger. I've had sports cars including a C4 and C5 corvette for 50 years so my expectations for good handling are unrealistic for a truck. The Ranger handling on the road isn't bad for its size, weight and target use. I'm getting used to it but a little improvement would be great. for me.
Thanks for your insight.
Dear John: We are in the same (bouncy) boat, I believe. I came up from a 2014 Explorer Limited and now have the 2019 Ranger Lariat with FX4. I love everything about the truck except for its annoying street ride, and I am considering many of the same options that you discuss here. If I understand correctly, it seems that the Fox 2.0 solution would be best in terms of stability and smoothness of street ride, although it is clearly more expensive than the other possibilities. I am not sure which way to go because, like you, I am not particularly interested in lift or leveling, although I could accept an inch or so if the system required it to improve the ride. Please keep us posted as to how you address this issue and with what results. Regards, Marc
Sponsored

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Dear John: We are in the same (bouncy) boat, I believe. I came up from a 2014 Explorer Limited and now have the 2019 Ranger Lariat with FX4. I love everything about the truck except for its annoying street ride, and I am considering many of the same options that you discuss here. If I understand correctly, it seems that the Fox 2.0 solution would be best in terms of stability and smoothness of street ride, although it is clearly more expensive than the other possibilities. I am not sure which way to go because, like you, I am not particularly interested in lift or leveling, although I could accept an inch or so if the system required it to improve the ride. Please keep us posted as to how you address this issue and with what results. Regards, Marc
Not really too concerned with the bounce because I typically drive with light loads in the bed and my old Ranger was similar but less rebound. Mainly I'd like to get some improvement in higher speed (80-85mph) stability. I plan to have the alignment checked when I bring the 2019 in for my free first oil change. The factory tow-in setting could be the issue causing high speed instability. I don't plan to make any changes other than slight tire pressure adjustments until I get more miles on the truck.

If you change shocks before I do, let me know how it handles on the highway.

Last edited:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Not really too concerned with the bounce because I typically drive with light loads in the bed and my old Ranger was similar but less rebound. Mainly I'd like to get some improvement in higher speed (80-85mph) stability. I plan to have the alignment checked when I bring the 2019 in for my free first oil change. The factory tow-in setting could be the issue causing high speed instability. I don't plan to make any other changes than slight tire pressure adjustments until I get more miles on the truck.

If you change shocks before I do, let me know how it handles on the highway.
Sure thing!

Vermonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ranger
The alignment looks fine. The alignment is not causing the shimmy. Try rotating the backs to the front. If they were road forced and balanced what was the road force measurement. I suspect a bad tire.
Thanks for the input. I'll try swapping the tires out back to front and see if it makes a difference. I did notice the installer inflated them back up to 40 psi again. Dropping that back to 30 seemed to help a lot. at this point it is almost completely gone. I'll keep fine tuning, but my guess is also a questionable tire.

Tire or shimmy issue aside, I am ecstatic with the fox set up. Ride is way better, less body roll, much more controlled and predictable truck. I don't think my issue has anything to do with the fox stuff, more likely a tire or wheel issue. Would I buy the fox stuff again? In a heart beat. Highly recommended, and Stage 3 was awesome to deal with.

day_sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Ranger
Finally had a chance to get my fox stuff installed. Paired them with a set of UCAs from Total Chaos. Will be getting bigger tires installed in a week or two. So far I'm really liking the new set up!

20190913_141434.jpg

20190913_141441.jpg

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Finally had a chance to get my fox stuff installed. Paired them with a set of UCAs from Total Chaos. Will be getting bigger tires installed in a week or two. So far I'm really liking the new set up!
Looks like a pretty rad setup.

What tires you think you'll go with?

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

20190913_141434.jpg

20190913_141441.jpg
Considering this too. How does the ride compare to stock??

day_sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Ranger
Looks like a pretty rad setup.

What tires you think you'll go with?
Thanks Jason!
As for tires, right now I'm leaning towards a set of Falken Wildpeaks A/T. Still not 100 percent though

day_sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Ranger
Considering this too. How does the ride compare to stock??
For on road driving, the ride feels way better than stock to me. It feels stiffer and it got rid of the super bouncy ride. I'm hoping to get some offroad miles on them this weekend so I'll see how they do

jhndeergrn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
For on road driving, the ride feels way better than stock to me. It feels stiffer and it got rid of the super bouncy ride. I'm hoping to get some offroad miles on them this weekend so I'll see how they do
Noice! What tires and wheels are you going with?

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Thanks Jason!
As for tires, right now I'm leaning towards a set of Falken Wildpeaks A/T. Still not 100 percent though
We've been happy with the A/T3Ws on our own trucks. I'd make the entire Wildpeak line is arguably one of the better bang-for-your-buck tires on the market at the moment.

I have the 305/65R18s on my F150 and I've been nothing but happy with them.

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
Any chance you will be getting the 2.5's with remote reservoirs from Fox?

OP
OP
Jason@Stage3

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Any chance you will be getting the 2.5's with remote reservoirs from Fox?
Once Fox releases them, yes. They're working on them, but they've been pretty mum on a potential ETA.

They don't love me like they should.

ICON also has 2.5 remote resi coilovers and piggyback rears coming. Those are supposedly in the final stages of testing, and we should see something solid coming here pretty soon.

ICON loves me marginally better.

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
Once Fox releases them, yes. They're working on them, but they've been pretty mum on a potential ETA.

They don't love me like they should.

ICON also has 2.5 remote resi coilovers and piggyback rears coming. Those are supposedly in the final stages of testing, and we should see something solid coming here pretty soon.

ICON loves me marginally better.
Always good to be loved! I think their fit and finish is legit, but not a fan of the digressive valving. Fox with the clickers gives you some more options. Frankly ones I may never use to their fullest potential, but hey, I like to pose ;)
Sponsored