Tuned by Ford Fox 2.0 Coilovers are different than aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I know a lot of people have suggested that there is no difference between the aftermarket Fox 2.0 coilvers versus the Tuned by Ford Performance Fox 2.0 coilovers. However, after viewing images of the two versions, I noticed that the Tuned by Ford Performance coil springs had at least 2 or more additional coils. This got me asking questions.

Long story short, I contacted Fox to ask about this. They stated the following: "All information including differences and technical information on proprietary products must be answered/directed to the proprietor. Please contact ford performance." So, I contacted Ford Performance and they directed me to this article here.

In addition, I confirmed with Shawn at Stage 3 Motorsports that the aftermarket Fox 2.0 coilovers have approximately 9 coils. When viewing pictures of the Tuned by Ford Performance coilvers that readers on Ranger5G have posted, you can clearly see that they have 11 or 12 coils.

After reading the article and confirming the coil spring differences, I can confidently say that these two kits are not the same. From my somewhat limited knowledge of coil springs, assuming that coil diameter and overall spring length is the same, when you introduce more coils, you effectively reduce the spring rate.

This would mean that the Tuned by Ford Performance coil springs are softer than the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit. Ford may be compensating for this with their own specific valving, but your guess is as good as mine. Of course, this begs the question; Which is better for your own particular application?

There are a lot of people here who have installed the Tuned by Ford coilovers and remark how great they are on road and how they changed the ride for the better. I have yet to read a review though on how they perform off road. Stage 3 Motorsports has an excellent video review of the off road performance for the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit, but I have yet to find anything close about the Tuned by Ford Performance coilovers off road.

Based on this information, I'm thinking that the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit may be the better choice for myself. I believe I would prefer the higher rate coil spring for off road. I know Ford may be compensating for the softer spring with valving, but valving can only do so much for a softer spring. In addition, heavier aftermarket front bumpers, winch setups, and/or a truck loaded with overlanding gear would favor the higher rate spring as well.

Of course it would be nice if someone could compare the two different kits, but I don't think this is going to happen unless a couple of buddies have the same truck with the two different kits to test for themselves.

What do you think?
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I know a lot of people have suggested that there is no difference between the aftermarket Fox 2.0 coilvers versus the Tuned by Ford Performance Fox 2.0 coilovers. However, after viewing images of the two versions, I noticed that the Tuned by Ford Performance coil springs had at least 2 or more additional coils. This got me asking questions.

Long story short, I contacted Fox to ask about this. They stated the following: "All information including differences and technical information on proprietary products must be answered/directed to the proprietor. Please contact ford performance." So, I contacted Ford Performance and they directed me to this article here.

In addition, I confirmed with Shawn at Stage 3 Motorsports that the aftermarket Fox 2.0 coilovers have approximately 9 coils. When viewing pictures of the Tuned by Ford Performance coilvers that readers on Ranger5G have posted, you can clearly see that they have 11 or 12 coils.

After reading the article and confirming the coil spring differences, I can confidently say that these two kits are not the same. From my somewhat limited knowledge of coil springs, assuming that coil diameter and overall spring length is the same, when you introduce more coils, you effectively reduce the spring rate.

This would mean that the Tuned by Ford Performance coil springs are softer than the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit. Ford may be compensating for this with their own specific valving, but your guess is as good as mine. Of course, this begs the question; Which is better for your own particular application?

There are a lot of people here who have installed the Tuned by Ford coilovers and remark how great they are on road and how they changed the ride for the better. I have yet to read a review though on how they perform off road. Stage 3 Motorsports has an excellent video review of the off road performance for the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit, but I have yet to find anything close about the Tuned by Ford Performance coilovers off road.

Based on this information, I'm thinking that the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit may be the better choice for myself. I believe I would prefer the higher rate coil spring for off road. I know Ford may be compensating for the softer spring with valving, but valving can only do so much for a softer spring. In addition, heavier aftermarket front bumpers, winch setups, and/or a truck loaded with overlanding gear would favor the higher rate spring as well.

Of course it would be nice if someone could compare the two different kits, but I don't think this is going to happen unless a couple of buddies have the same truck with the two different kits to test for themselves.

What do you think?
Great write-up and something I wondered myself. I have the Fox 2.5 coils with remote res on order and plan on writing a thorough review once they come in and I get around to installing.

The 2.0 Fox vs. 2.0 Ford spring difference stood out right away as I shopped the options. I could definitely see the Ford kit leaning on a softer spring rate than the aftermarket. Would love to see a side by side comparison at some point.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Interesting to say the least. For offroad I think it comes down to your preference. For me I went with the Old Man EMU by ARB and I love it. Why i went with that is simple. I do not want to level the truck. If i was going to do a lift I would have to buy extra parts and I didnt like that idea to say the least. I have had a few people ride in the truck after installing it and they noticed the difference right away. No I'm not going to bad mouth Fox simply because I know they make great stuff, I just dont like the idea of a leveling kit.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Interesting to say the least. For offroad I think it comes down to your preference. For me I went with the Old Man EMU by ARB and I love it. Why i went with that is simple. I do not want to level the truck. If i was going to do a lift I would have to buy extra parts and I didnt like that idea to say the least. I have had a few people ride in the truck after installing it and they noticed the difference right away. No I'm not going to bad mouth Fox simply because I know they make great stuff, I just dont like the idea of a leveling kit.
I have a question and not sure which way to go. I have a 2019 XLT rear wheel drive with 18" wheels. I am not really looking at leveling or raising anything as I use mine specifically for towing my 28' Salem Cruise Lite. What I have noticed is on roads with whoop d do's that my suspension feels spongy. Is any of this Ford Fox 2.0 or Eibach what I am looking for or does someone have another suggestion.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a question and not sure which way to go. I have a 2019 XLT rear wheel drive with 18" wheels. I am not really looking at leveling or raising anything as I use mine specifically for towing my 28' Salem Cruise Lite. What I have noticed is on roads with whoop d do's that my suspension feels spongy. Is any of this Ford Fox 2.0 or Eibach what I am looking for or does someone have another suggestion.
To my understanding the fix to your problem with wanting to keep factory ride height is simple. Just chabge the rear shocks out to Fox or perhaps the Eibach's. Also the Fox and possibly the Eibach's can be set to factory ride height.

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Great write-up and something I wondered myself. I have the Fox 2.5 coils with remote res on order and plan on writing a thorough review once they come in and I get around to installing.
Right now I'm thinking that the 2.5's would be too stiff for me on road, but I really haven't heard much. I would be very interested in what you think.

I don't think of the Fox 2.0's as a leveling kit. It's the vendors who sell them that refer to them that way for marketing purposes I believe. From my understanding, both the Tuned by Ford and standard Fox kit are set for a 2" lift. That still leaves an inch difference front to rear. I don't want my truck level either and I know the ride will suffer with any coilover that you crank to the max lift.

I'm beginning to think that the standard Fox 2.0 coilover kit, tubular UCA's, and an aftermarket rear leaf spring would be a good combo for me. I won't know until the rear shocks are changed, but the rear feels like there is limited upward travel that results in a less than stellar ride over bumps. I just wouldn't want much more than a 1" lift in the rear if I could avoid it.

I have noticed the same thing. If the truck goes through any small type of whoop d do's on the hwy, the front moves up and down far too much and the back almost yaws side to side. It's not exaggerated, but you definitely notice it. I think this is what made some reviewers and others get the "car sick" feeling.

As Frenchy said, you can always try the rear shocks first. If that doesn't get you where you want, then you can purchase the front coilovers to go with it and lower the collars down for the factory ride height.

Joem

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Being as I do not want to change the ride when not towing has anyone out there put air bags on the rear and Can report on how it worked when towing. Again I do not need any lift because both front and rear stand at good heights when towing, just want to eliminate the porposing effect when on woop d doo roads.

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7

What do you think?
Based on the part numbers printed on the Eibach springs, both are 3” ID. Both are 550lb/inch spring rate. The overall length of the springs that come from the Ford performance kit are 16”. The overall length of the springs supplied with the aftermarket kit are 14”.
Fox lists the front shocks supplied in the aftermarket kit as 20.5” in overall length with a 4.47” stroke.

If we do make the assumption that the overall length and stroke of the Ford performance shocks are the same, then that would mean that the aftermarket kit would actually offer a softer ride than the Ford performance kit.
This is keeping in mind that the internal valving on the shocks from the 2 different kits are certainly different. Which is softer/firmer will really only be discovered once someone gets both shocks in a dyno or gets a better answer out of Ford/Fox.

porktyme

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
This is a pic of the Ford performance front coilover. Draw your own conclusions.
FPcoilover.jpg

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
Based on the part numbers printed on the Eibach springs, both are 3” ID. Both are 550lb/inch spring rate. The overall length of the springs that come from the Ford performance kit are 16”. The overall length of the springs supplied with the aftermarket kit are 14”.
Fox lists the front shocks supplied in the aftermarket kit as 20.5” in overall length with a 4.47” stroke.

If we do make the assumption that the overall length and stroke of the Ford performance shocks are the same, then that would mean that the aftermarket kit would actually offer a softer ride than the Ford performance kit.
I think it's the opposite. A longer spring will have a softer ride. The question I have is some of us want a better suspension with no or at most a 1" lift, so which kit is better? It's just preload on the spring that sets the ride height.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think it's the opposite. A longer spring will have a softer ride. The question I have is some of us want a better suspension with no or at most a 1" lift, so which kit is better? It's just preload on the spring that sets the ride height.
Hard to say which is better, to my understanding you can set either one to stock ride height but with a softer spring over stock it may be advised to have it no lower than 1 inch.

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
The preload would have to be the same for any spring to sit at the same height (has to support the weight of the truck). Beyond that the "rate" is rate of increase as you compress the spring. I don't believe either of the Fox kits would have a softer rate than stock when set to the same height, but that is the question.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The preload would have to be the same for any spring to sit at the same height (has to support the weight of the truck). Beyond that the "rate" is rate of increase as you compress the spring. I don't believe either of the Fox kits would have a softer rate than stock when set to the same height, but that is the question.
I can guarantee the springs on the Fox kits are softer as they have much more travel than the factory shocks and springs. I have the Old Man EMU lift and bothe the front and rear springs are softer than factory for flexibility but can still hold the same weight(engineering at its finest). I have also had to set my toe carefully ads the toe would go out A LOT when my fat ass would get in. I think the only shock kit that uses the factory springs is the Eibach kit.

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
Incorrect.
Take 2 identical shocks and put a 2” longer spring of the same rate on one of them, the one with the longer spring will ride stiffer.
Spring rate is calculated as pounds per inch. Preload it more and the rate increases.
Sponsored