Tuned by Ford Fox 2.0 Coilovers are different than aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
My Ford/Fox kit was made 9/2019 and installed out-of-box by my dealer pre-delivery 7/2020. No adjustments. Kits were in short supply at that time.

Image 210.png
Sponsored

5280Ranger

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Dealership
I know a lot of people have suggested that there is no difference between the aftermarket Fox 2.0 coilvers versus the Tuned by Ford Performance Fox 2.0 coilovers. However, after viewing images of the two versions, I noticed that the Tuned by Ford Performance coil springs had at least 2 or more additional coils. This got me asking questions.

Long story short, I contacted Fox to ask about this. They stated the following: "All information including differences and technical information on proprietary products must be answered/directed to the proprietor. Please contact ford performance." So, I contacted Ford Performance and they directed me to this article here.

In addition, I confirmed with Shawn at Stage 3 Motorsports that the aftermarket Fox 2.0 coilovers have approximately 9 coils. When viewing pictures of the Tuned by Ford Performance coilvers that readers on Ranger5G have posted, you can clearly see that they have 11 or 12 coils.

After reading the article and confirming the coil spring differences, I can confidently say that these two kits are not the same. From my somewhat limited knowledge of coil springs, assuming that coil diameter and overall spring length is the same, when you introduce more coils, you effectively reduce the spring rate.

This would mean that the Tuned by Ford Performance coil springs are softer than the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit. Ford may be compensating for this with their own specific valving, but your guess is as good as mine. Of course, this begs the question; Which is better for your own particular application?

There are a lot of people here who have installed the Tuned by Ford coilovers and remark how great they are on road and how they changed the ride for the better. I have yet to read a review though on how they perform off road. Stage 3 Motorsports has an excellent video review of the off road performance for the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit, but I have yet to find anything close about the Tuned by Ford Performance coilovers off road.

Based on this information, I'm thinking that the aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit may be the better choice for myself. I believe I would prefer the higher rate coil spring for off road. I know Ford may be compensating for the softer spring with valving, but valving can only do so much for a softer spring. In addition, heavier aftermarket front bumpers, winch setups, and/or a truck loaded with overlanding gear would favor the higher rate spring as well.

Of course it would be nice if someone could compare the two different kits, but I don't think this is going to happen unless a couple of buddies have the same truck with the two different kits to test for themselves.

What do you think?
Attached are photos of the Ford Fox 2.0 kit. If anyone has the Fox non-ford ones we can compare. I am also interested in the Fox only preload setting from factory. The Ford ones seem very minimal.

F35F4905-EE5E-419A-8461-2F11480B5D6F.jpeg

A041C554-75D8-4CEB-8055-47221E8A215B.jpeg

EA08168D-3A2F-4121-94DE-29447CB04CFD.jpeg

OP
OP
NvrFinished

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Attached are photos of the Ford Fox 2.0 kit. If anyone has the Fox non-ford ones we can compare. I am also interested in the Fox only preload setting from factory. The Ford ones seem very minimal.

F35F4905-EE5E-419A-8461-2F11480B5D6F.jpeg

A041C554-75D8-4CEB-8055-47221E8A215B.jpeg

EA08168D-3A2F-4121-94DE-29447CB04CFD.jpeg
The Ford Fox preload setting is less due to the 2" longer coil spring. The Fox aftermarket setting is higher because the coil spring is shorter.

Something many have commented on is that the preload settings of the Ford Fox kit seem to be right on the money whereas the Fox aftermarket kit is much more inconsistent.

5280Ranger

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Dealership
My Ford/Fox kit was made 9/2019 and installed out-of-box by my dealer pre-delivery 7/2020. No adjustments. Kits were in short supply at that time.

Image 210.png
What amount of lift did you get without adjustment?

5280Ranger

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Dealership
The Ford Fox preload setting is less due to the 2" longer coil spring. The Fox aftermarket setting is higher because the coil spring is shorter.

Something many have commented on is that the preload settings of the Ford Fox kit seem to be right on the money whereas the Fox aftermarket kit is much more inconsistent.
Thank you for the information. Very helpful!

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Reviving an old thread for a question:

I know the aftermarket Fox 2.0's require a rebuild after like 30k-50k miles. Does the Ford Tuned Fox suspension kit require a rebuild, and if so, at what mileage?

I'm trying to decide what to do with suspension options. Rebuild mileage is a meaningful factor that I find to be difficult to determine.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Reviving an old thread for a question:

I know the aftermarket Fox 2.0's require a rebuild after like 30k-50k miles. Does the Ford Tuned Fox suspension kit require a rebuild, and if so, at what mileage?

I'm trying to decide what to do with suspension options. Rebuild mileage is a meaningful factor that I find to be difficult to determine.
If you look at Fox's website, the rebuild interval is the same for all their IFP 2.0 shocks.

I ran only the rear (non-Ford) Fox 2.0s for 30,000 miles. I replaced them with a new set of the same, when I upgraded the fronts from the FX4 to Fox 2.0 coilovers. I could tell a difference in the rear before and after the replacement. Was it monumental, no, but it was noticeable. Based on that, and my driving, I will be doing a rebuild at about 40,000 miles of usage.

I would guess that all the other shock brands also deteriorate with age. They just don't have rebuild or replacement intervals. YMMV.

GhostStrykre

First Name
Bowen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
If you look at Fox's website, the rebuild interval is the same for all their IFP 2.0 shocks.

I ran only the rear (non-Ford) Fox 2.0s for 30,000 miles. I replaced them with a new set of the same, when I upgraded the fronts from the FX4 to Fox 2.0 coilovers. I could tell a difference in the rear before and after the replacement. Was it monumental, no, but it was noticeable. Based on that, and my driving, I will be doing a rebuild at about 40,000 miles of usage.

I would guess that all the other shock brands also deteriorate with age. They just don't have rebuild or replacement intervals. YMMV.
good info.. i'm just a normie with FX4 suspension that's been on for 65k miles.. hunting for the right set up for the occasional forest road or trail, but otherwise pure tarmac.

with intervals like that i figure i'm best served looking into bilstein or eibach.
Sponsored