Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Don't those motors have injectors to wash the backsides of the valves though?
No, alas, this engine has direct injection, no port injector to clean off the valves. Ford has put dual systems (Port + Direct) on some ecoboost engines, not this one.
Sponsored

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Well, after a walnut blast, the walnut shells were left in the bottom of the burner area and oven was fired up and they started to process the bonded sheets. After a few hours, the oven got hot enough where the walnut pellets cought on fire and burned up that oven. Oops! Oh yeah, the plastic fiber when blended together like that, when it caught on fire, was the 2nd hottest burning petroleum fire, next to coal. I witnessed a few catastrophic fires there. multimillion dollar machines going up in flames. Needless to say, the fire department was on speed dial.
Dang! Sounds pretty 'eco friendly' to me! Wondering what the Fire Service and Insurance Company had to say?!?! :(

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Kind of like changing your air filter. You don't wait until the filter is clogged up and engine is starving for air, you regularly check it and change it. Here with all the dust we have in the air I change mine every 10,000 miles but others in different areas go double that. Seeing as it's not as easy to just pop the intake and inspect the valves I would assume having this done somewhere around 50K-70K miles would be a good idea to do. Especially if you're one who tends to keep your vehicles a long time.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Me? When the intake carbon deposits begin backing up into the air cleaner box I'll know it's time to do something....(jk)

008-volkswagen-jetta-tdi-intake-manifold-carbon-buildup.jpeg

Jon_H

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4WD FX4, 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
Ok, I am looking for someone in the OC to do the walnut thing, any suggestions? almost 95,000 miles, just had to change the DPFE sensor to keep the check engine light at bay but the performance is still lacking.

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Interesting. I was just reading about Ford releasing a new version of the 2.3 in their upcoming mustang, one that included dual injection like the 2.7. I bet it trickles its way into the new Ford Ranger models.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I don't think Ford would ever put a catch can in because it would require the customer to periodically empty it. Their tack is the other direction, 10,000 mile oil changes and running 87 in high boost turbo motors.
I agree with you and the brain trusts not putting in a real transmission dip stick.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
You can read on the internet and find someone having problems with anything. I think if you change your oil at 3 to 5K using good oil, use better gas and add a fuel system cleaner when you do the change your not going to have issues. I will not be planning in my head I need walnut blasted. Only mod I did was a catch can. Youtubers will say anything to get views. Watch to much there and you will sell every car you buy think it will explode at 40K.

I do a 3K Mobile 1 full synthetic oil and filter change and run 93 octane gas. Gas not from the corner store 5 miles in the woods. Add Lucas fuel system cleaner to the tank when doing the oil change. I don't suspect I will be walnutting my truck any time soon. Especially before 100K.

I just hit 10K miles and plan the use a GDI cleaner through the intake past the turbo. Better to prevent than wait until so bad you can't clean it.

I've seen poorly maintained non GDI engines have the same issues with carbon.

I never let the quick lube places touch my truck or any car!
I agree with you on several points, where I am confused is fuel system cleaner! This will not clean your valves. Not opposed to using a cleaner occasionally but think every oil change isn't necessary. My opinion of course

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a good video showing how dirty the valves in the Ecoboost get after just 44,000 miles. This is the same 2.3 we have in our Rangers. This is a reasonably priced ($500) DIY system for those who want to attempt this but also a good reminder that this should be done by a pro at some point.

Before:

Ford-EcoBoost-engine-carbon-buildup-Ford-Tech-Makuloco-video-screenshot-001-dirty-intake-valve.jpg

After:

Ford-EcoBoost-engine-carbon-buildup-Ford-Tech-Makuloco-video-screenshot-002-clean-intake-valve.jpg

You can also do this without the machine by hand with a pick and brush.

I do an Italian tune up on mine about once a month. Doesn't this seroiusly help slow this down a bit with our engines? I don't know why they don't make a dual injection engine for the 2.3. The first gen for 2.7 and 3.5 released in 2017 were better, but now they are much better. Here is another video by this same guy that explains it in greater detail. This dude knows his sheet for real. In one of his videos, he says using Chevron Techron fuel cleaner will help some of the buildup issues. I used it in my 2.7 Ecoboost for my F-150.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I do an Italian tune up on mine about once a month. Doesn't this seroiusly help slow this down a bit with our engines? I don't know why they don't make a dual injection engine for the 2.3. The first gen for 2.7 and 3.5 released in 2017 were better, but now they are much better. Here is another video by this same guy that explains it in greater detail. This dude knows his sheet for real.
I also do an Italian tune up a few times a year on mine. Luckily we have a lot of open desert, some which are in very remote areas and it's usually not patrolled. If I do get pulled over I'll just tell them I'm doing research for R5G. :inspect:?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Been wondering about this for a good bit. I do the italian tune up more often than I would like to admit. However, will be going to find a walnut blasting service and report back with before/after photos.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Oh boy do I have some great additional data for 36k miles. So as I read earlier, the italian tune up does nothing for our engines. I can confirm, I WOT quite often and this is what it looks like. I will be doing it every 25-30k miles now.
IMG_5932.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5956.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Oh boy do I have some great additional data for 36k miles. So as I read earlier, the italian tune up does nothing for our engines. I can confirm, I WOT quite often and this is what it looks like. I will be doing it every 25-30k miles now.
IMG_5932.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5956.jpg
Damn, there goes my excuse when I get pulled over! :stop:?

underwhelmed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SC XLT FX4, 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Retired Military
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_5932.jpg
IMG_5936.jpg
IMG_5943.jpg
IMG_5956.jpg
where did you get the cleaning done and what was the cost? I just bought a really nice 2019 XLT with 34k. Sounds like I need to add to my first routine maintenance visit.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student