Intake valve carbon cleaner

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Anyone use this for cleaning carbon from the intake valves? I'm aware of the walnut blasting procedure but with only 12,400 miles to date and not wanting to remove the top of the motor i was thinking this might be a sort of preventive maintenance cleaning for whatever may have started. I'm ready to change the oil so i want to do it before the change.
https://www.stp.com/product/pro-series-intake-valve-cleaner/
Sponsored

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I've heard good things about CRC's similar product, and that's what I'm planning to use at the 30k mile mark on my truck. Not sure you really need to worry about it at only 12.4k miles.... but if you happen to have a way to inspect the valves before and after the cleaning, please do share pictures etc here. I'd love to see what your valves look like.

I'm planning to use my borescope to try to see the valves when I do my cleaning at the next oil change.

Here's the stuff from CRC, if you are curious: https://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-ivd-174-intake-valve-cleaner-11-wt-oz.html

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I've heard good things about CRC's similar product, and that's what I'm planning to use at the 30k mile mark on my truck. Not sure you really need to worry about it at only 12.4k miles.... but if you happen to have a way to inspect the valves before and after the cleaning, please do share pictures etc here. I'd love to see what your valves look like.

I'm planning to use my borescope to try to see the valves when I do my cleaning at the next oil change.

Here's the stuff from CRC, if you are curious: https://www.crcindustries.com/products/gdi-ivd-174-intake-valve-cleaner-11-wt-oz.html
I used the CRC DGI Top End cleaner about every other oil change on my Focus SEL, Focus ST, and two Ecoboost Mustangs. Never had an issue with the way the engines ran but also never went in there with a bore scope to see how clean the valves were.

FWIW, a friend of mine had a 14 Focus ST. It never saw anything but 87 Octane gas and what ever dino oil the corner service station used. He traded it in a couple of months ago with just shy of 130,000 miles on it and it was still running as good as the day he bought it new.

fortywater12

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Nothing you dump in the tank is going to touch intake valves on a D.I. engine
Nothing shared in this thread is a tank additive, they are products sprayed into the intake when the vehicle is running.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Nothing you dump in the tank is going to touch intake valves on a D.I. engine
The CRC GDI top end cleaner is sprayed into the intake manifold while the engine is running. The Seafoam equivalent has an S shaped wand that you snake past the rubber coupling on the throttle body. The CRC came with a straight one. I would just disconnect a vacuum line on the I take manifold and spray it in there.

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I remember reading where Ford did some test cleaning intakes valves with cleaner sprayed into the intake. It caused the exhaust gas temperature to increase and damaged the seals in turbos causing them to leak oil. On the non turbo engines it worked fine.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I remember reading where Ford did some test cleaning intakes valves with cleaner sprayed into the intake. It caused the exhaust gas temperature to increase and damaged the seals in turbos causing them to leak oil. On the non turbo engines it worked fine.
I've heard stories of Seafoam causing issues on old Rangers too. I had bought it for my high mileage 1999 and after a bit a research decided to leave it on the shelf.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I believe Ford advises against using these types of cleaners due to potential for turbo and exhaust catalyst damage. Happened quite a bit on the early 1st gen 3.5 ecoboost engines in the F150. Do your research and be confident in your approach.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
There are other threads on here about just this. I would not advise it with turbos. It’s asking for trouble. Be cheaper to walnut shell blast than it would replacing turbo or catalytic or both!

OP
OP
Muffin1

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Thanks all for the thoughts and responses, I also researched about the turbo although these products claim it’s safe, ahh who to believe idk.
I’m going to get a borescope camera to look at the valves to see how much carbon has built up, although with the low miles I can’t believe it’s cacked on heavily where pieces could go undissolved by the chemical.

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
Aside from risk of damage... getting that cold side intercooler pipe off and on the throttle body is a pain in the ass.
Sponsored