First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT Engineer.
Nowhere does it say it has to or should be done at 40,000 miles. In the video at the 1:00 mark he says the customer brought this in and wanted it done. Some may go 60K-80K+ before having misfires but it's still a good idea to do some preventative maintenance before you start having these symptoms.

Kind of like changing your air filter. You don't wait until the filter is clogged up and engine is starving for air, you regularly check it and change it. Here with all the dust we have in the air I change mine every 10,000 miles but others in different areas go double that. Seeing as it's not as easy to just pop the intake and inspect the valves I would assume having this done somewhere around 50K-70K miles would be a good idea to do. Especially if you're one who tends to keep your vehicles a long time.
I still have a 2000 Ranger with 250K miles on it. Pretty much did all the work myself when needed. I love this new Ranger. I have always done my own car repairs for the most part unless it was in warranty. I would love to keep this one as long. I could pull the intake and do this in my garage but not really liking the idea at all. I'm 57 and don't enjoy tearing engines apart like I once did. It just seems like a poor design. My son's Hyundai Veloster at 80K started using oil really bad. The intake was packed with carbon. Of course he didn't keep up the maintence like he should have. Because of that I second guessed the 2.3 ECO engine. I plan to do everything I can to put it off or just trade it way before. I work at home and it just sits in the garage most of the time unless I pull the boat on the weekend. Sometimes I wish I got the Toyota truck but I hated the inside. The catch can doesn't get much in it like it did when the engine was new. Just a few drops in the summer and a little more in the winter. Anyway not trying to rude at all.
Sponsored

dmm3369

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT Engineer.
Nowhere does it say it has to or should be done at 40,000 miles. In the video at the 1:00 mark he says the customer brought this in and wanted it done. Some may go 60K-80K+ before having misfires but it's still a good idea to do some preventative maintenance before you start having these symptoms.

Kind of like changing your air filter. You don't wait until the filter is clogged up and engine is starving for air, you regularly check it and change it. Here with all the dust we have in the air I change mine every 10,000 miles but others in different areas go double that. Seeing as it's not as easy to just pop the intake and inspect the valves I would assume having this done somewhere around 50K-70K miles would be a good idea to do. Especially if you're one who tends to keep your vehicles a long time.
One other thought I have is? What does the dealer service do if one comes in say at 50K with issues due to carbon? Still under warranty?

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I still have a 2000 Ranger with 250K miles on it. Pretty much did all the work myself when needed. I love this new Ranger. I have always done my own car repairs for the most part unless it was in warranty. I would love to keep this one as long. I could pull the intake and do this in my garage but not really liking the idea at all. I'm 57 and don't enjoy tearing engines apart like I once did. It just seems like a poor design. My son's Hyundai Veloster at 80K started using oil really bad. The intake was packed with carbon. Of course he didn't keep up the maintence like he should have. Because of that I second guessed the 2.3 ECO engine. I plan to do everything I can to put it off or just trade it way before. I work at home and it just sits in the garage most of the time unless I pull the boat on the weekend. Sometimes I wish I got the Toyota truck but I hated the inside. The catch can doesn't get much in it like it did when the engine was new. Just a few drops in the summer and a little more in the winter. Anyway not trying to rude at all.
You're not being rude at all and it's a good discussion. I'm 58 and like you don't enjoy working on vehicles like I once did. Heck, I don't even bother doing my own oil changes anymore but I do have a great shop that I trust who does mine.

One thing I'd recommend doing is getting a battery maintainer since you're not driving it much. There's always something drawing power with all the electronics onboard and it'll keep your battery fresh and topped off. I bought this one here with my FordPass points but it's just a rebranded Ctek that you can buy here. I also added a longer lead here so it's easy to just quick connect it.

Here's a thread where I have pictures of my set up.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fordpass-app-message.20787/post-447866

I had a Tacoma before buying my Ranger and trust me you're much better off with the Ranger.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
One other thought I have is? What does the dealer service do if one comes in say at 50K with issues due to carbon? Still under warranty?
I doubt they'd warranty it and they'll just consider it regular maintenance that needs to be done.

dmm3369

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT Engineer.
You're not being rude at all and it's a good discussion. I'm 58 and like you don't enjoy working on vehicles like I once did. Heck, I don't even bother doing my own oil changes anymore but I do have a great shop that I trust who does mine.

One thing I'd recommend doing is getting a battery maintainer since you're not driving it much. There's always something drawing power with all the electronics onboard and it'll keep your battery fresh and topped off. I bought this one here with my FordPass points but it's just a rebranded Ctek that you can buy here. I also added a longer lead here so it's easy to just quick connect it.

I had a Tacoma before buying my Ranger and trust me you're much better off with the Ranger.
I switched over to lithium batteries in my boat. I guess my old 12V boat charging systems would work too. I have a couple that you leave hooked up that I don't use with the lithium's. Yea I hated the Tacoma interior. I did put the ford performance tune on the truck, well the dealer did so I have the warranty registered. Not sure how that impacts the build up. I know the truck runs so much nicer with the exhaust change and tuner.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I switched over to lithium batteries in my boat. I guess my old 12V boat charging systems would work too. I have a couple that you leave hooked up that I don't use with the lithium's. Yea I hated the Tacoma interior. I did put the ford performance tune on the truck, well the dealer did so I have the warranty registered. Not sure how that impacts the build up. I know the truck runs so much nicer with the exhaust change and tuner.
I've been running the Livernois 91-93 short shift tune for just over 2 years now. It does run much better than the stock tune and I'm not sure if it helps any with the carbon build up. As far as the maintainer goes just make sure the one you have works on AGM batteries as I think the regular ones could overcharge our batteries.

dmm3369

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
IT Engineer.
I've been running the Livernois 91-93 short shift tune for just over 2 years now. It does run much better than the stock tune and I'm not sure if it helps any with the carbon build up. As far as the maintainer goes just make sure the one you have works on AGM batteries as I think the regular ones could overcharge our batteries.

Yea they were on AGM's. Thanks for all the comments. I guess I will just enjoy the truck and over maintain it and hope. At 4500 miles a year I will be 62 before Its needed lol.... I guess it doesn't matter what model or make you get they have some unique issue.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I was really hoping to get 100k on it before this was needed, but it seems like it might need to happen sooner.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yet you just contradicted yourself by saying this. With the 100's of thousand of these motors out there IF a catch can was needed I'm sure the Ford engineers would know better than these aftermarket companies. But hey, Youtubers will say anything for views. :wink:
I don't think Ford would ever put a catch can in because it would require the customer to periodically empty it. Their tack is the other direction, 10,000 mile oil changes and running 87 in high boost turbo motors.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't think Ford would ever put a catch can in because it would require the customer to periodically empty it. Their tack is the other direction, 10,000 mile oil changes and running 87 in high boost turbo motors.
True and there'd be no way to tell if people maintained it correctly. But my overall opinion is if these DI motors were such a problem they (Ford) would've changed this design by now to something like the 2.7 V6 where it's PI/DI. Or just axed the motor all together and went with the 2.7 V6 across the board.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
True and there'd be no way to tell if people maintained it correctly. But my overall opinion is if these DI motors were such a problem they (Ford) would've changed this design by now to something like the 2.7 V6 where it's PI/DI. Or just axed the motor all together and went with the 2.7 V6 across the board.
I bet the non-US Rangers with the 2.5 Duratec will last longer than the Ecoboost. Hell if it was an option I might have went with it. Yeah it'd be dog slow but I didn't buy the Ranger with speed in mind.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I bet the non-US Rangers with the 2.5 Duratec will last longer than the Ecoboost. Hell if it was an option I might have went with it. Yeah it'd be dog slow but I didn't buy the Ranger with speed in mind.
I didn't either but I was impressed with how quick it was stock. Then I added the Livernois tune just for the heck of it and it does make it a lot more fun to drive. ? ?

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
105k on my ranger and I haven’t noticed any issues yet relating to carbon buildup
You must drive a lot to have put 105K on it.
My 2019 now has 38K on it.
Did you buy a 5g Ranger in another country before they came out here ?

C.moore01

First Name
Colbey Moore
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 escape 2019 ranger
You must drive a lot to have put 105K on it.
My 2019 now has 38K on it.
Did you buy a 5g Ranger in another country before they came out here ?
No I bought it when they very first hit the lots, I drive 35k a year roughly .. I work on the railroad so there’s lots of travel

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Maybe I missed it on his video or on the 6 pages of info here....

Why was this only recently "approved" for the 2.3 ecoboost? This has been around for long enough you can get a cheap walnut hopper from Harbor Freight.

I can understand the danger of the BG service.. If a nice piece of carbon finds its way off the intake valve and out of an exhaust valve... the turbo is gonna be pissed.
Sponsored