First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor, 73 Bronco
Occupation
Retired Navy Officer
Empty washer res, high tire pressure corrected after first air down off road, much better ride, still good milage... seems they aired you to Tremor specs, 40 is what is called for on the Generals there.
Sponsored

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Because I sold tires and have had some great conversations with engineers, about the MFG recommended versus the sidewall spec. I run the sidewall recommended tire pressure, my Dullers are set to 40psi summer and 38psi for winter
What insight did they give you?

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Because I sold tires and have had some great conversations with engineers, about the MFG recommended versus the sidewall spec. I run the sidewall recommended tire pressure, my Dullers are set to 40psi summer and 38psi for winter
I've never sold tires nor chatted with any tire engineers, so I'd really love to hear the underlying justification for why the higher PSIs are better.

It seems to me that the optimal pressure for general use should be determined by a combination of the properties of the tire and the weight of the vehicle. Since the folks that put the numbers on the tire sidewall only know one piece of the equation (the properties of the tire), I'm not sure how they can make a good pressure recommendation. I thought the number on the sidewall was just the maximum pressure before you start risking catastrophic failure?

Again, I don't have experience in this area, so I'm very open to having my thoughts corrected.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've never sold tires nor chatted with any tire engineers, so I'd really love to hear the underlying justification for why the higher PSIs are better.

It seems to me that the optimal pressure for general use should be determined by a combination of the properties of the tire and the weight of the vehicle. Since the folks that put the numbers on the tire sidewall only know one piece of the equation (the properties of the tire), I'm not sure how they can make a good pressure recommendation. I thought the number on the sidewall was just the maximum pressure before you start risking catastrophic failure?

Again, I don't have experience in this area, so I'm very open to having my thoughts corrected.
the manufacturer generally has a chart with pressure per weight...

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi all,
I went in for The Works service package this morning for an oil change and tire rotation. When I got back into the truck, the tire pressure screen was displayed with the tires reading 40 psi. The elevation here is around 4000 feet, the door label reads 30 psi, so I had them filled to 32 psi for the elevation difference. Am I way off or do they know something I/we don't?
Happy Thanksgiving!
:turkey:
I'd leave pressure high for both gas and tire mileage. That's what I run, anyway, for years. But, it's your baby.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Man, I love living in Kansas. Paid $2.87/gal (with some Kroger fuel points) last night for 91.
After living in Wichita for three years, moving back to CA and its gas prices was a shock...
Grew up in Wichita.

Left at 21 in a greyhound with 2 suitcases.

Best decision of my life.

I'd gladly pay $5/gallon the rest of might life to not have to live there again.

I'm almost 45 years old. I've never seen a "recommended pressure" on a sidewall. EVER.

Only MAX pressure.

Where do you find this?

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Would this have been a Firestone engineer when the Explorers were rolling?

If you overinflate the tires will wear unevenly (in the center of the tread) rather than extending their life.
You just gotta corner faster to even the wear. :wink:

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Grew up in Wichita.

Left at 21 in a greyhound with 2 suitcases.

Best decision of my life.
I'd feel the same if I lived in Wichita. Not a fan.

Metal Geezer

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Mine came home from the dealer at 40psi.
Immediately corrected to 30 as per the door sticker. Wear has been even so far.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
wasnt the firestone debacle a conflict between the tire pressure of the manufacturer and the recommended pressure by Ford?
did Ford not want the tires waaay low to give the Exploder a smoother ride?
but what it actually did was heat up the tires too much causing a blowout?
Herein lies the rub; tire pressure plays a big part in NVH ratings. Choosing a lower pressure for the 'recommended' pressure means it will have lower NVH. This is important for normal people (since we generally modify our trucks, we are not 'normal'). But ... Mother Ford knows best. Interestingly enough, the Explorer door job said 28 PSI, not much lower than the 30 PSI on our trucks.

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
What am I missing, my 19 Ranger says 35 PSI on the door sticker for the tires. Why the difference? Mine is a 4x2 with factory tow package. Please enlighten me.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What am I missing, my 19 Ranger says 35 PSI on the door sticker for the tires. Why the difference? Mine is a 4x2 with factory tow package. Please enlighten me.
It's best to stick to the door sticker with the stock tires. If they've been replaced the best way is to do the chalk test.

Sponsored