2019 MY Tire Pressure Indicator and Slow Leak

rausa64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Greetings,

Thought I would pass on a recent experience.

Just got on to the Interstate (not at home) and low tire pressure warning came on along with the tire pressure graphic for each tire. Right rear showed 22 PSI. Pulled over and looked for obvious problem and didn't see anything.
Decided that it would be safe to go to gas station and fill tire. BTW...Wawa service station in east had free air with a digital pressure gauge.
When I got there, turned off the vehicle and began to fill tire. No idea how much air went in. Turned on truck and tire pressure graphic came back on. Decided to leave truck on while filling. The tire pressure graphic turned out to be a live reading so my wife called out the pressure. Turns out the graphic on the vehicle and the digital pump pressure were darn close.
Decided to proceed with our 500 mile trip.
During trip, tried to pull up the graphic to show the tire pressure. Cycled through all the menu items and couldn't bring it up.
So lesson learned, if you get leak, go to fill and you don't have a pressure gauge, the truck graphic will give you a pressure reading that is good enough.
We made it back home safe and sound with no low pressure warning so will take it to tire shop and get the tire squared away.
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Old Old habit for me, but get your self a good analog tire pressure gauge and a valve stem core tool/core set, around 2 bucks, and keep em in your truck.
Very easy to overlook a valve core that has come loose. Dosen't happen often, but it can.
Good analog gauge will last for years n years...still using one that's over 25 years old.

569f65f0-12ae-4355-a3f8-3ca33fe72901_1.15bf84d1ec5e89a5a254637777a2d5c3.jpeg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I personally would take the reported psi of the truck as spot on. I see a difference of as much as 3 psi between the two. Trucks report is always higher than it really is. YMMV

Reactions: EJH

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Old Old habit for me, but get your self a good analog tire pressure gauge and a valve stem core tool/core set, around 2 bucks, and keep em in your truck.
Very easy to overlook a valve core that has come loose. Dosen't happen often, but it can.
Good analog gauge will last for years n years...still using one that's over 25 years old.

569f65f0-12ae-4355-a3f8-3ca33fe72901_1.15bf84d1ec5e89a5a254637777a2d5c3.jpeg
Even better, make it a full patch/plug repair kit.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I carry a analog gauge in my truck, but I have also found the trucks reading to be spot on.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Even better, make it a full patch/plug repair kit.
Yeah, agree, but I did not want to get into a drawn out discussion of what is appropriate to fix, plug or patch, ect ect.
I do carry a plug kit, compressor, bottle jack, tools, to fix a tire. Owning a motor home, one quickly learns to carry what is needed when a service is 4 hours away and your stuck on the side of an interstate !!!

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I experienced this today.
I plugged a hole so the psi dropped to 27.
Pumped it up to 32 and took a ride down the street before it registered above 27 and finally showed 32psi.
???

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
During trip, tried to pull up the graphic to show the tire pressure. Cycled through all the menu items and couldn't bring it up.
Looks like you have an XLT, not sure how it works on your information cluster, I know one can bring it up on the Lariat...FordPass as well.

OP
OP

rausa64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Looks like you have an XLT, not sure how it works on your information cluster, I know one can bring it up on the Lariat...FordPass as well.
Thanx. I do. I was aware of the FordPass capability but I doubt it would be anywhere close to real time.
Part of my passing on was my inability to bring up pressure on demand.
Good to know for Lariat owners.

BlackRanger01

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab 4x4
Occupation
IT
Thanx. I do. I was aware of the FordPass capability but I doubt it would be anywhere close to real time.
Part of my passing on was my inability to bring up pressure on demand.
Good to know for Lariat owners.
It is real time - you can pull screen down to refresh (like checking mail on phone)

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Slow tire leak equals excuse to buy larger tires!

I corrected my pressure from the high factory fill an it's never needed another adjustment.

Dunneldeen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
They did kind of bury the TPS display on the XLT console. I kind of wish they had included it as a screen in the vehicle info section; it does stand to reason that if you're off-road and looking at your angles you could also want to know tire pressure.
Sponsored