Dealer price to install OEM trailer brake controller?

OP
OP

twr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for all the feedback. Here's what I've gathered from this thread and the www:
  • I would only use the Ford controller (much to my chagrin) to ensure interface with all functions, and its install is more complicated than after-market controllers.
  • The controller itself can be had for $275-300 if you look around, but I would expect to pay $400 or so from dealer.
  • The install cost of $100 on the Ford accessories website is grossly under estimated unless the dealer is only charging $20-25 for labor.
  • All in all, I think $600-700 is not unreasonable if the dealer has experience. I wouldn't mind shelling out this much if I had confidence that the dealer was experienced in this install.
  • It will be a PITA to connect the wires beneath the dash from the truck to the controller. The rest of the job is doable but it will take a while. The whole job looks like a day for an amateur.
I'll post back how I progress. Thanks again.
Sponsored

Ghost Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone had a break controller installed at the dealer? Cost? Do I need one?

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Yeah I would attempt my install but because it’s a sliding rear window then there’s an interference problem with the headliner. I will probably look at the under dash solution instead.. I have the ford controller but have no current or planned need yet. So it can wait… Got it for 197.00 plus tax and shipping from levitt town ford.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Mine was $449.00 for the installed controller before pickup so the 8 year warranty would cover it. Works fantastic. Takes them an hour to install it because they do it all the time.

imaposer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hot pepper red lariat tremor
Just a current update to a not too old thread since it was one of the first that came up when doing a google search.

I just went through this. Local dealer quoted $360 parts, $480 labor. I told him that was high for both the part and the labor, he said last time they did one, they had to get an extra harness to make it work, and they lost their ass on labor as the job took a full day. But he was willing to come down to $400 on the labor. I passed.

Ford parts online was $280 parts(after coupon), $210 labor. I ordered it online, had it sent to a different dealer and had them do it. Had it scheduled in for Wednesday, they called at the end of the day and said it wasn't done yet, they'd call me Thursday. End of the day Thursday, I called them, they didn't answer, they never returned my call. I called Friday morning, they finally called back around noon saying it was done. Not sure if it really took them that long, or if they just put it off, but whatever. It's done. When I went to pick it up, they had the paperwork as if I was buying it through them, and it was $339 for parts, $280 for labor. I showed them my email from ford parts direct, and she said she would let her manager call ford parts and get it figured out as I guess the system is still pretty new and doesn't work all that well. Now I guess I need to find a trailer to hook up to just to test it out.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Having installed the brake controller on an XLT without a sliding rear window, I would agree most dealers are losing money on the install at $210. If they have a dedicated electronics installer that has done a few, I still don't see how $210 covers the labor time. If you don't have the automatic emergency braking, yes they would come out ok at $210.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Having installed the brake controller on an XLT without a sliding rear window, I would agree most dealers are losing money on the install at $210. If they have a dedicated electronics installer that has done a few, I still don't see how $210 covers the labor time. If you don't have the automatic emergency braking, yes they would come out ok at $210.
I did the Ford brake controller. It took me 2 hours. If I was to do it again I would say I could do it closer to an hour and a 1/2. I would say $210 for labor is about right.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Got a quote from my dealer for them to install once truck gets there. $339 parts $120 to $170 labor
For that price, I'd much rather have them do it than myself.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
For that price, I'd much rather have them do it than myself.
That post was from February. Ended up taking them 10-12 hours and some ridiculous labor amount. I ended up paying $700 installed (parts and labor) after haggling with them. Then it took them 4 times back to the shop to make it work right ( they had wires crossed). Works great now

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I did the Ford brake controller. It took me 2 hours. If I was to do it again I would say I could do it closer to an hour and a 1/2. I would say $210 for labor is about right.
Impressive!

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
My dealer, $100 and it took 5 hours since it was the first one. They do them in 1 1/2 hours now.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
I have an XLT, does it have the braking system mentioned that is compatible with the ford/redarc system?
I don't tow anything yet and was leaning towards the redarc one

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
This thread is getting dated, nonetheless I'm going to see if the local auto electronics guys can install a brake controller in our 2019 XLT. We are looking at camper that needs them. :clap:

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
So I did mine yesterday over lunch. Under an hour (but I have torn apart the interior previously so familiar with the panels). I also have a scab so popped two tabs on the back of the headliner but otherwise was fairly non invasive. I’ve yet to test it (will this weekend). I thought about just pulling the brake light from the bcm, but just did it the ford way to be safe.

if a dealer on a scab is taking more than an hour something has gone wrong.

One confirmation for the masters - the ford module ignores the smaller 2 bundled wires, correct? The instructions make no mention (nor do the components have missing connections). Appreciate the confirmation here. If those do need to be soldered, I’ll give half an hour back to the dealer estimate.

edit: towing pic as an offering to solicit a response.
B01E0AFA-20FD-424C-A4A5-8A3D9DA48126.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: