Dealer price to install OEM trailer brake controller?

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer honored the $100 labor charge I was quoted when I purchased the controller on the Ford website. However it took the mechanic a day and a half - basically 12 to 14 hours to do it. Labor rates here are $200 an hour. They were not happy. I also had to give them the instructions on how to do the install. I honestly felt bad for them. It certainly wasn’t my intention to rip them off, they just didn’t know what they were getting into. On the other hand as others have said, advertising a 7500 lb tow capability without a TBC to me is disingenuous. It’s a lousy situation for everyone, dealers included.
The fact the you had to give them the instructions is the same fact that would've caused me to look for another dealer; those instructions should be readily available to them from Ford.

Marpater

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Consulting
It is hard to believe that the Ford TBC needs its braking signal from the 3rd brake light, ergo the reason the install takes so long, there has to be a brake signal wire under the dash, which would make the install much simpler.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It is hard to believe that the Ford TBC needs its braking signal from the 3rd brake light, ergo the reason the install takes so long, there has to be a brake signal wire under the dash, which would make the install much simpler.
Since you are new to the forum. The whole brake controller issue seemed to be an after thought on the Ranger when they brought it over to the US from over seas. There were/are four wires under the dash to connect any aftermarket controller. The issue comes in when they added the AEB and the ACC systems for the US market. They didn’t account for that in the harness. So the only place they could get the signal they needed without needing to splice into the harness, or going outside the cab, was the connector at the high mounted stop light. Definitely a dropped ball by Ford.

Believe me it has been discussed to death here and I hope Ford will fix it on the 6G.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
Someone who works on these truck all the time, and is familiar with their interior panels, wiring, etc might be able to do the install in an hour... For the rest of us, like me, it is 1/2 a Saturday job. If you can get the install for $100, that is great. I doubt most can get it installed for that low. Almost $1k for parts and labor is too high. That dealer doesn't want the job. After suffering through the install myself, I'd say up to $200-250 for the install is probably ok.
my brother does this kind of install for a living. I paid him $300 all in(parts included) took him 3 hours for his first install. (okay 5 hours but he got 80% done and realized one of his coworkers stole his step bits) so we drove around for a couple of hours and got lunch until we located one for less than $90. damn stupid box stores.

I also fed him for a weekend and made him play with his nephews.

HDEO

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor, M240i
Occupation
Formulator
The fact the you had to give them the instructions is the same fact that would've caused me to look for another dealer; those instructions should be readily available to them from Ford.
i don’t disagree with you but sadly the instructions are not available from Ford. In fact I got them off this forum after spending quite a while reading all the posts on the topic. I knew going in this was going to be a potential cluster.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
I just installed the Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller on my 2021 Ranger this weekend. I followed the method on the eTrailer.com installation video. The hardest parts were (1) crimping on the "short" wires for the factory tow package. I'm 6'4" and getting older so getting in the far corner to deal with the 4 wires was a task. (2) I mounted control dial where the 12v accessory jack is (closest to the driver). It was a pain to remove that 12v accessory jack. I finally gave up and pulled out the Dremel tool and ground down the tabs. Once I did that, it popped right out. Otherwise the install was straight forward and it looks factory installed.

McDeuce

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I noticed in the Ford accessories web site install is $100.00 at my local Ford dealer. I wonder what happens if you buy it on line and pay for everything and show up at the appointment. ??

Last edited:

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
After installing the brake controller, I would pay $75 in a heartbeat.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I noticed in the Ford accessories web site install is $75.00 at my local Ford dealer. I wonder what happens if you buy it on line and pay for everything and show up at the appointment. ??
$75 on a Ranger? That would be hell of a deal. I don't know that the shops have to honor that price, and they may be reluctant to install it if not purchased there.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
$75 on a Ranger? That would be hell of a deal. I don't know that the shops have to honor that price, and they may be reluctant to install it if not purchased there.
My dealer gave me a quote of $120-$170 to install the Ford/Redarc controller which is even more complicated than the “plain” Redarc one

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
My dealer quoted 400.00 max plus the cost of the controller. They never did one and were giving me the high end cost.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I went to my local hitch shop, well regarded and known as the best in the region. They installed a Draw-Tite controller for just over $200 parts and labor. I don't see any reason to get fancy and spend a lot of money on a brake controller, it only has to do one thing.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I went to my local hitch shop, well regarded and known as the best in the region. They installed a Draw-Tite controller for just over $200 parts and labor. I don't see any reason to get fancy and spend a lot of money on a brake controller, it only has to do one thing.
With the newer technologies the controller is involved with more than one thing.
“The only Ford-approved trailer brake controller compatible with all vehicle safety systems including: Forward Collision Warning System & Automatic Emergency Braking”
It’s a choice for people who want to take advantage of it. And I’m pretty sure it’s covered under warranty also

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
With the newer technologies the controller is involved with more than one thing.
“The only Ford-approved trailer brake controller compatible with all vehicle safety systems including: Forward Collision Warning System & Automatic Emergency Braking”
It’s a choice for people who want to take advantage of it. And I’m pretty sure it’s covered under warranty also
I understand. Those functions don't concern me while towing.
Sponsored