Dealer price to install OEM trailer brake controller?

twr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2020 Ranger with factory tow package.
Had it in for a couple of recalls this AM and asked for a quote to furnish and install the Ford VKB3Z-2C006-A trailer brake controller.
I couldn't believe it when he said $989+tax.
What have others been quoted?
Sponsored

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2020 Ranger with factory tow package.
Had it in for a couple of recalls this AM and asked for a quote to furnish and install the Ford VKB3Z-2C006-A trailer brake controller.
I couldn't believe it when he said $989+tax.
What have others been quoted?
I paid about $500 parts and labor which I thought was too high. I would have done it myself, but I needed it done during the summer and did not have an air conditioned place to do it. It was just too hot here in Phoenix.

See what they are charging you for the part. Some are charging over $500 just for the part. You can get it for $280 from the forum sponsor Levittown Ford. Ask Benny for a discount code as well.

https://www.levittownfordparts.com/part-ymm/2020-ford-ranger-trailer-brake-controller.html

Then ask the dealer if they will install one that you provide for the same labor.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Someone who works on these truck all the time, and is familiar with their interior panels, wiring, etc might be able to do the install in an hour... For the rest of us, like me, it is 1/2 a Saturday job. If you can get the install for $100, that is great. I doubt most can get it installed for that low. Almost $1k for parts and labor is too high. That dealer doesn't want the job. After suffering through the install myself, I'd say up to $200-250 for the install is probably ok.

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
i just put money down today on a 2021 Ranger with the factory tow. I will need to install a brake controller and I was just researching them for the past hour. Don't quote me on this, but I read that the Ford brake controller is a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller. They sure do look the same. You can buy this brake controller from eTrailer.com for $212. I think Amazon has it for the same price. eTrailer has an install video and there are a few others on YouTube. It is not a difficult job. This past summer I installed a Prodigy brake controller in my Tacoma. It took me @ 1.5 hours The most difficult part was figuring out the best place to mount the controller and running the wires. If you watch the eTrailer video on the Redarc, they show you exactly where to mount the components and how to wire it.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Do it yourself. Save a whole bunch of money.

OP
OP

twr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
i just put money down today on a 2021 Ranger with the factory tow. I will need to install a brake controller and I was just researching them for the past hour. Don't quote me on this, but I read that the Ford brake controller is a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller. They sure do look the same. You can buy this brake controller from eTrailer.com for $212. I think Amazon has it for the same price. eTrailer has an install video and there are a few others on YouTube. It is not a difficult job. This past summer I installed a Prodigy brake controller in my Tacoma. It took me @ 1.5 hours The most difficult part was figuring out the best place to mount the controller and running the wires. If you watch the eTrailer video on the Redarc, they show you exactly where to mount the components and how to wire it.
The Red Arc is not quite the same although Red Arc manufactures the Ford OEM brake controllers. The Ford has an additional module for a couple of functions that the Red Arc does not have. The Ford OEM is the only brake controller approved by Ford. If you hunt around on the www, you can find the Ford OEM for under $300. I think it lists for about $350 now.

HDEO

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor, M240i
Occupation
Formulator
My dealer honored the $100 labor charge I was quoted when I purchased the controller on the Ford website. However it took the mechanic a day and a half - basically 12 to 14 hours to do it. Labor rates here are $200 an hour. They were not happy. I also had to give them the instructions on how to do the install. I honestly felt bad for them. It certainly wasn’t my intention to rip them off, they just didn’t know what they were getting into. On the other hand as others have said, advertising a 7500 lb tow capability without a TBC to me is disingenuous. It’s a lousy situation for everyone, dealers included.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I got the Ford with the extra module $400 installed in August 2021. Took them about 6 hours to install. It was part of the purchase.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
As discussed in many threads, the additional module is to integrate the auto-brake feature of the collision avoidance system. You could install the TBC without that, but in a situation where the auto emergency braking engages, the brakes on the trailer will not be activated.

Waltztj

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Xl
Occupation
Retired
If you are ordering the Ranger new have it installed from the factory.