Ford OEM Trailer Brake Controller

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger/1992 Ford Mustang
Hey all, so I have some issues. I installed the TBC and, well one of the connectors broke on me. So I hard wired, and spliced the wires. But now I no longer have a third brake light, but my rear brakes work. The TBC only flashes when I tap it. What gives?
Sponsored

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
The TBC only flashes when I tap it. What gives?
That is all the TBC will do until you attach a real trailer. The trucks trailer control module won't energize the system until it senses a true load on the seven pin connector.

Regarding the third brake light not working, we probably need more information. What connector broke? What wire or wires did you splice?

OP
OP
DangerRanger412
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger/1992 Ford Mustang
That is all the TBC will do until you attach a real trailer. The trucks trailer control module won't energize the system until it senses a true load on the seven pin connector.

Regarding the third brake light not working, we probably need more information. What connector broke? What wire or wires did you splice?
I figured it out. 2 of my wires were switched and now I have brake lights. The TBC is functioning and tested with a trailer.

RudiProtrudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I had a 2019 xlt and I had installed the tbc in that. I traded the 2019 in on a 2021 and bought the tbc kit but I havenā€™t installed it yet. When I installed it in the 2019, the plastic tabs broke off of the door sill when I was pulling that up and out. Anyone have any tips on avoiding that? I donā€™t want that to happen again when I finally get around to installing the tbc in the ā€˜21.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I had a 2019 xlt and I had installed the tbc in that. I traded the 2019 in on a 2021 and bought the tbc kit but I havenā€™t installed it yet. When I installed it in the 2019, the plastic tabs broke off of the door sill when I was pulling that up and out. Anyone have any tips on avoiding that? I donā€™t want that to happen again when I finally get around to installing the tbc in the ā€˜21.
Nope. Mine broke too. I ordered a replacement from Levittown. I've found when I remove a bunch of internal trim pieces on vehicles, I tend to have the occasional causality. The pieces just are not made to be installed more than once.

RudiProtrudi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Nope. Mine broke too. I ordered a replacement from Levittown. I've found when I remove a bunch of internal trim pieces on vehicles, I tend to have the occasional causality. The pieces just are not made to be installed more than once.
Yeah, I had gotten the replacement sill from Levittown for the ā€˜19. I also lost some of those little white plastic pieces that slide on the trim tabs. I bought an assortment of sizes of those, so at least I have them on hand now. I should order a replacement sill and have that on hand - if I have it on hand, I wonā€™t break any of the tabs on the one Iā€™m pulling out. ?

velocirooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
I figured it out. 2 of my wires were switched and now I have brake lights. The TBC is functioning and tested with a trailer.
I wasn't real clear on your original symptom. Was it that the LED behavior on the TBC knob didn't change when you pressed the brake pedal? Mine is stuck in calibration mode, and the light never changes. Dealership that installed it has it back in service to correct it now.
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH