First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I have a thread to collect information, but since I can't edit the topic name I will make a new thread in DIY. Original thread https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/3rd-brake-light-wire-location-in-bcm-under-dash.13217/

I have LED lights so couldn't just add a strobing LED bulb. I used this module, and there are others available. http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brak...1.html?zenid=3375bb80e2a9a1dd9c8d510dba623ed1

It took all of about 10 minutes to install, once I figured out the wiring. See the original thread for info. The 3rd brake light uses the yellow/gray wire in the top left connector on the BCM. There appears to be 2 yellow/gray wires, or maybe I can't see the other color correctly, but the wire you need goes to pin 13, so run it back to be sure.

I used bullet connects so if the module dies I can put it back to stock easily. There are 3 different flash speeds you select by connecting certain wires on the module. I used the medium speed. It flashes 4 times in 1 second and then stays on constantly.

I'll try to get a video, but you get the idea.

CMHSL.jpg

light2.jpg

light1.jpg
Sponsored

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Tom
How bout an action video!?

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Nice Tom
How bout an action video!?
Sorry, I will have to get that. I need a third foot to press the brake pedal and my wife is working on taxes... she's self employed so I don't get involved :)

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
well, when she gets up to make you a sammich, re-direct her to the truck first.

ive been interested in doing this mod myself
Here ya go. I actually do most of the cooking. I'm sort of an amature gourmet, but lets face it, I'm a hack. My wife is a good cook, too, but she's always busy. She does make the best southern biscuits on the planet, though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
BTW, you can have it strobe slower, which isn't attention grabbing IMO, and faster, which is seizure inducing. The mid speed works best IMO.

And, there is another version that has a bunch more settings for blinking, but I just wanted a basic strobe.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Here ya go. I actually do most of the cooking. I'm sort of an armature gourmet, but lets face it, I'm a hack. My wife is a good cook, too, but she's always busy. She does make the best southern biscuits on the planet, though.

Great insurance...I've installed this tech on every one of my vehicles since they were available...

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I got hit in the rear by someone looking at his GPS. Before covid I drove a lot in bumper to bumper, and will eventually probably have to again. I put strobe LED bulbs in the previous car and not sure it helped, but it didn't hurt.

I do feel they are annoying, but I don't care, at least they get your attention. IF it helps then I'm all for it.

And, the install is easy, once you figure out the wiring. Hopefully this will help those who want to use it. You can probably hook up all your brake lights, not just the high light, but this works for me, and I don't know what the regular brake lights wire is.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds and looks like a great mod and it won't break the bank--great video too !! I've often wondered why they haven't come up with a way for a person's brake lights to go into a strobe mode when you really get on the brakes, like when the anti-lock module gets to a certain "strain", it makes all the brake lights strobe....it would let people know that your making an emergency or short distance stop. With all the tech these days, it should be a standard feature on all vehicles....just like the rear cameras.

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Sounds and looks like a great mod and it won't break the bank--great video too !! I've often wondered why they haven't come up with a way for a person's brake lights to go into a strobe mode when you really get on the brakes, like when the anti-lock module gets to a certain "strain", it makes all the brake lights strobe....it would let people know that your making an emergency or short distance stop. With all the tech these days, it should be a standard feature on all vehicles....just like the rear cameras.
Some cars do have that now. It senses the brake pressure and strobes if it's excessive. I don't remember which makes, but I've read about it.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I hate those things. Totally annoying.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I have that on my motorcycle. Two 6 LED bars on each side of the license plate. I always worry about some one read ending me so I made a couple custom brackets and have piece of mind now. Works great.

OP
OP
Tom_C

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
kinda annoying like loud exhausts?
I think they're annoying too, especially in bumper to bumper, but hey, I don't have to look at mine :) And, it's just the high light. Deal with it, and don't hit me in the ass.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I think they're annoying too, especially in bumper to bumper, but hey, I don't have to look at mine :) And, it's just the high light. Deal with it, and don't hit me in the ass.
I’ll just send a few texts instead of looking at it.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I will have to get that. I need a third foot to press the brake pedal and my wife is working on taxes... she's self employed so I don't get involved :)
Use a stick pushed against the seat or bottom of steering wheel

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I have ran the strobe modules on motorcycles and they do help get people's attention. The only strobe module that I do not care for is when people run them on their headlights. I have seen some on motorcycles.
Sponsored