Coming soon to US vehicles: Cameras to replace side mirrors, headlights that 'talk'

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
More cameras = more facial tracking for big brother.

Taking my tinfoil hat off now.....

Not really , it stays on all the time lately :)
Sponsored

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have side cameras in my RV. When you put the turning indicator on the view shows up on the stereo like when reversing. I never use this, and it's kinda annoying for it to flash on and off. I can see way more with my mirrors, and I know what's over there before I even hit the indicator.

When I hit the turning indicator, I'm not asking to come over. I'm telling you. That's why it's called a "indicator"

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I have side cameras in my RV. When you put the turning indicator on the view shows up on the stereo like when reversing. I never use this, and it's kinda annoying for it to flash on and off. I can see way more with my mirrors, and I know what's over there before I even hit the indicator.

When I hit the turning indicator, I'm not asking to come over. I'm telling you. That's why it's called a "indicator"
I have that on my RV also, and also don't use it, learned to drive rigs using mirror's, but I do run with the rear camera on, makes it easy to judge when the tow car has fully cleared any vehicles I am passing.

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I have that on my RV also, and also don't use it, learned to drive rigs using mirror's, but I do run with the rear camera on, makes it easy to judge when the tow car has fully cleared any vehicles I am passing.
my rear camera is kinda worthless unless I'm hooking up a trailer or backing up to something. I can't see anything beyond 4-5 feet behind the rear bumper.

My dad was a truck driver, and my hauled a gooseneck horse trailer around, I learned to use my mirrors. I have to back up my flatbed trailer into what basically looks like a question mark in my yard. My co-workers are blown away how I can even do it without using a trailer dolly. Then I tell it takes me less than 10 mins. ?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Any vehicles you’re passing? I like an RV driver who isn’t holding up traffic. ?

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
my rear camera is kinda worthless unless I'm hooking up a trailer or backing up to something. I can't see anything beyond 4-5 feet behind the rear bumper.

My dad was a truck driver, and my hauled a gooseneck horse trailer around, I learned to use my mirrors. I have to back up my flatbed trailer into what basically looks like a question mark in my yard. My co-workers are blown away how I can even do it without using a trailer dolly. Then I tell it takes me less than 10 mins. ?
Yes, I drove 22.5T Oshkosh half cabs all over Germany, and some of those little towns required me to pull in my west coast mirrors to keep from knocking flower pot off the sills. I parallel park my Class A RV in my side gate and neighbors also ask how the heck I do that, its called practice.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Just plug a VR headset into the dash. That's what the youth of today are use to anyway! That combined with self driving what could go wrong. They fly drones half way around the world to kill people that way now. War is just a video game.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Mine is wide angle, 140Âş, and adjustable.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just plug a VR headset into the dash. That's what the youth of today are use to anyway! That combined with self driving what could go wrong. They fly drones half way around the world to kill people that way now. War is just a video game.
And its just going to get worse with AI getting used in Military applications.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I wonder if they work just as well with bright lights or the setting sun shining right at them. Mud or water could be an issue - I know it is with my rear view camera. Maybe a mirror with a built-in camera would be a good way to start. One that can be turned off in settings if people find it to be annoying.

I see they’re using this in NASCAR but some drivers are still opting for a rear view mirror. I guess we’ll see.
Agreed. Every time the roads are wet because of rain or snow, that rearview camera becomes covered and is a blurry screen of uselessness. Sideview & in-cab mirrors are a lot more useful all-around.

Honestly, BLIS is pretty useless too. It's just a dot when someone is in my blind spot zone, but it doesn't tell me anything beyond that. Those cheap stick-on blind spot mirrors that I have are much more useful, because I can tell what kind of vehicle is there, where exactly they are in that zone, and I can make an educated assessment as to their rate of speed, so I can figure out if they're actually going to pass me, or if they're just camping out on my flank. Plus, if they crack, I can still use them and if they're cracked badly enough, it'll cost me about $10 to replace. One thing goes wrong with BLIS, and there goes a big hole in my budget to repair something that I don't even use, just so that the truck will stop nagging me about it being broke.

My buddy has the new all-electric BMW and it has this 360-camera set-up, where when a car pulls alongside you, it'll show up on a centre console screen. Something about the camera positions make the image all stretched out, top to bottom, so you could have an original Mini Cooper next to you, and it would look something like this on the screen:

1678127830245.png

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Honda has had a combo mirror/camera for a bit now it seems pretty nice. My mother got a Kia this past year and it has the camera feature, it’s really nice honestly.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
the wifes Civic has the blind spot camera on her car. it is rather nice I think.

but I do have one question...why is it our blind spot monitor only kicks on the little LED in the mirror? Why not also say...change the color of the turn signal on the dash from green to yellow or red?

OR have the yellow led there on the rear view mirror? when you have an obstruction have the amber/yellow light, in low intensity but still enough to see, kick on?

D

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
I don’t mind technology and trying to improve things but it is not necessarily to replace things if it isn’t needed. I like BLIS and I think it works pretty good but I am not relying on that fully - no - I still shoulder check. It’s just a tool. Same with the cross traffic warning. I don’t usually use my back up camera to park - I have tried and I lose situational awareness (and frankly actually end up being more crooked!). It helps with some distance and proximity.

IMO - it feels like there are worse driver habits now then there used to be (maybe people feel more entitled?). Give them technology when they aren’t good drivers is not going to make it better - probably worse.

We have a show in Canada called “Canada’s worst drivers” and these folks get nominated by friends or family to be on this show and they teach them how to drive properly with these interesting test. It’s pretty funny but also frightening any of them got drivers licenses. But there are a couple of driver who back up using their cameras only and it is awful - it shows why technology doesn’t replace good driving skills.

So for me - if it’s an enhancement great but not a replacement. I want my mirrors.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
We have a show in Canada called “Canada’s worst drivers” and these folks get nominated by friends or family to be on this show and they teach them how to drive properly with these interesting test.
Peter we need a show like that here in the states. Except we need to change it to "USA's Worst Parking" and I know the perfect pair who could star in the very first show. Our very own Paul @OrangeStreak and Tracy @Tracy Bowman. o_O:bandit:

I think Tracy would be a quick learner and only make 1 episode. Paul on the other hand, well I'm guessing he'd be there through the whole first season and maybe even the whole series. ?‍♂?

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
I don’t mind technology and trying to improve things but it is not necessarily to replace things if it isn’t needed. I like BLIS and I think it works pretty good but I am not relying on that fully - no - I still shoulder check. It’s just a tool. Same with the cross traffic warning. I don’t usually use my back up camera to park - I have tried and I lose situational awareness (and frankly actually end up being more crooked!). It helps with some distance and proximity.

IMO - it feels like there are worse driver habits now then there used to be (maybe people feel more entitled?). Give them technology when they aren’t good drivers is not going to make it better - probably worse.

We have a show in Canada called “Canada’s worst drivers” and these folks get nominated by friends or family to be on this show and they teach them how to drive properly with these interesting test. It’s pretty funny but also frightening any of them got drivers licenses. But there are a couple of driver who back up using their cameras only and it is awful - it shows why technology doesn’t replace good driving skills.

So for me - if it’s an enhancement great but not a replacement. I want my mirrors.
Is that show still on? I haven't seen it in years, but it was fun. I used to pay special attention to the host's shirt when he rode with the contestants. I remember one where he was so terrified that his light blue shirt became navy blue from how much he was sweating in fear.

I find the rearview camera most useful when backing up to a trailer hitch, but even then, I'll have someone outside as well, usually with them on their phone calling me (so it comes through the Sync), that way we've got open and clear communication, rather than yelling to each other through the window over whatever noises there are.
Sponsored