Coming soon to US vehicles: Cameras to replace side mirrors, headlights that 'talk'

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Is that show still on? I haven't seen it in years, but it was fun. I used to pay special attention to the host's shirt when he rode with the contestants. I remember one where he was so terrified that his light blue shirt became navy blue from how much he was sweating in fear.

I find the rearview camera most useful when backing up to a trailer hitch, but even then, I'll have someone outside as well, usually with them on their phone calling me (so it comes through the Sync), that way we've got open and clear communication, rather than yelling to each other through the window over whatever noises there are.
I think the show is still on - or at least in reruns. - I went back and watched them on YouTube this year - mainly to show my daughter what not to do. But the host has a good way of explaining some basic driving skills. I think it scared my daughter a bit - ended up buying some driving lessons for her?
My favourite is the “eye of the needle” where they have to swerve around the large obstacles and then through the archway. I think they are supposed to be doing 80km. It’s funny how they freak out - you can’t but laugh but have to feel bad for them too.
Sponsored

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Peter we need a show like that here in the states. Except we need to change it to "USA's Worst Parking" and I know the perfect pair who could star in the very first show. Our very own Paul @OrangeStreak and Tracy @Tracy Bowman. o_O:bandit:

I think Tracy would be a quick learner and only make 1 episode. Paul on the other hand, well I'm guessing he'd be there through the whole first season and maybe even the whole series. ?‍♂?
???. Somehow I knew someone was going to slag the poor parkers on here. But there is a test or two that has to do with parking. And it’s bloody awful to watch.
The worst part - they have a new car to use for each season - so like nice mustang or camero and then the contestants just kill them.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
???. Somehow I knew someone was going to slag the poor parkers on here. But there is a test or two that has to do with parking. And it’s bloody awful to watch.
The worst part - they have a new car to use for each season - so like nice mustang or camero and then the contestants just kill them.
Yes!! I'd forgotten about that part, but there was once where they had a Rolls Royce, a Silver Cloud iirc, and they just destroyed it. That episode gave me heartburn, I was cringing so much for the car.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes!! I'd forgotten about that part, but there was once where they had a Rolls Royce, a Silver Cloud iirc, and they just destroyed it. That episode gave me heartburn, I was cringing so much for the car.
In one season - when they had improved a bit more - saw them take a Porsche and drive around Toronto - I thought I was going to have a heart attack but they were skilled enough by that point to not hit anything - thank god

Eoj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 lariat fx4
I want a talking headlight.
“Move, bitch, get out the way
Get out the way, bitch, get out the way
Move, bitch, get out the way
Get out the way, bitch, get out the way”

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
In one season - when they had improved a bit more - saw them take a Porsche and drive around Toronto - I thought I was going to have a heart attack but they were skilled enough by that point to not hit anything - thank god
That's definitely a note-worthy improvement in skills, considering the percentage of Toronto drivers who don't know how to drive at all, and that's not counting the bicycle couriers who weave in and out of traffic and zip through intersections with nothing more than the indestructible armour of their sense of entitlement!

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Peter we need a show like that here in the states. Except we need to change it to "USA's Worst Parking" and I know the perfect pair who could star in the very first show. Our very own Paul @OrangeStreak and Tracy @Tracy Bowman. o_O:bandit:

I think Tracy would be a quick learner and only make 1 episode. Paul on the other hand, well I'm guessing he'd be there through the whole first season and maybe even the whole series. ?‍♂?

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
While I think it’s a cool idea it’s just going to end up raising the costs of vehicles even more. I can’t imagine the cost to fix these once the vehicle is out of warranty and it’s having glitches. I can see this being beneficial for tucks towing but other than that I think it makes drivers more lazy depending on technology way to much. Plus I wouldn’t want to have to pay to replace one of these if/when it gets knocked off.

Headlights that talk??‍♂

The interior radar is nice. But again it’s just because we now have to many lazy people or people who are to preoccupied on their phones?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coming-soon-us-vehicles-cameras-120118854.html

1678114106880.png
I couldn't agree more!! That said, there's countless people who won't buy a vehicle without pushbutton start, 360 degree cameras, power tailgates/hatches, adaptive cruise, and an IPad glued into the dash. No one but you & I think about those things breaking one day. I don't think these mirrors will effect sales.

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
I want a talking headlight.
“Move, bitch, get out the way
Get out the way, bitch, get out the way
Move, bitch, get out the way
Get out the way, bitch, get out the way”
Sounds like a great business opportunity for an after-market accessory! I'll get to work on it ?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Wonder what safety features allowed the driver to suffer only minor injuries, perhaps a rabbit's foot or 4 leaf clover or since driver was cited for having an open container maybe some good old hootch, crash in Boulder Sun night. Doesn't look like the Ranger Rover was an EV.

1678194775051.png

1678194802350.png

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Wonder what safety features allowed the driver to suffer only minor injuries, perhaps a rabbit's foot or 4 leaf clover or since driver was cited for having an open container maybe some good old hootch, crash in Boulder Sun night. Doesn't look like the Ranger Rover was an EV.

1678194775051.png

1678194802350.png
Holy sh!!! Minor injuries? Dayum!
Sponsored