Coming soon to US vehicles: Cameras to replace side mirrors, headlights that 'talk'

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
While I think it’s a cool idea it’s just going to end up raising the costs of vehicles even more. I can’t imagine the cost to fix these once the vehicle is out of warranty and it’s having glitches. I can see this being beneficial for tucks towing but other than that I think it makes drivers more lazy depending on technology way to much. Plus I wouldn’t want to have to pay to replace one of these if/when it gets knocked off.

Headlights that talk??‍♂

The interior radar is nice. But again it’s just because we now have to many lazy people or people who are to preoccupied on their phones?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coming-soon-us-vehicles-cameras-120118854.html

1678114106880.png

The eMirror goes into production this year in China. It uses video cameras to replace or augment outside sideview mirrors.
The first vehicles likely to get the feature in the U.S. will likely be pickups and SUVs that have outsize mirrors for towing big trailers, said Valerie Zelko, manager for the electronic mirrors and other driver assistance features.

The cameras can provide wide fields of view, eliminating blind spots without the distortion caused by optical wide-angle mirrors. They can also incorporate other sensors, lighting up to alert of vehicles oncoming on either side.

The cameras will allow automakers to replace the current big mirrors — major sources of aerodynamic drag that reduce fuel economy and increase wind noise — with smaller mirrors that can be used if the camera fails. U.S. safety regulations require that backup, but European and Chinese vehicles will be able to dispense with outside mirrors altogether.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
The camera view on the main screen when using your blinker function that Honda has/is using is absolute garbage.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The camera view on the main screen when using your blinker function that Honda has/is using is absolute garbage.

Hyundai does that as well.

It worked pretty decent on the different Santa Cruz models I drove.

2022-Hyundai-Tucson-instrument-panel.jpg

But of course, the bigger question is what will Dodge/Ram drivers do now?

28bc8e7786efdf10221860101d67a7a1.jpg

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I haven't seen that one. With all the technology out today (HD, 4K) the clarity should be perfect. I just see this as another way of making vehicles more unaffordable.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I haven't seen that one. With all the technology out today (HD, 4K) the clarity should be perfect. I just see this as another way of making vehicles more unaffordable.
Hyundai does that as well.

It worked pretty decent on the different Santa Cruz models I drove.

But of course, the bigger question is what will Dodge/Ram drivers do now?

28bc8e7786efdf10221860101d67a7a1.jpg
Granted, my experience was on an extended test drive only but I was not a fan. Clarity was alright, more the implementation.

A. Display is on the center screen. I've been driving long enough that's a tough ask to retrain me to look there.

B. Since the display is on the center screen, they smartly only allow it to work on the passenger side. Could you imagine looking at the center stack to change lanes left?

If it were displayed on small screens inside the vehicle in locations relatively close to where mirrors have been for over 75 years I'd probably be okay with them.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Granted, my experience was on an extended test drive only but I was not a fan. Clarity was alright, more the implementation.

A. Display is on the center screen. I've been driving long enough that's a tough ask to retrain me to look there.

B. Since the display is on the center screen, they smartly only allow it to work on the passenger side. Could you imagine looking at the center stack to change lanes left?

If it were displayed on small screens inside the vehicle in locations relatively close to where mirrors have been for over 75 years I'd probably be okay with them.
I think in some instances it'll come in handy, like towing. The main problem is most don't know how to use their mirrors and/or were never thought how to. I rarely use my back up camera and when I do it's just to check the distance/closeness to an object behind me. I always use my side mirrors when backing up and Annie will ask me why? 40+ years of driving that way and instinct. Then there's those that can't parallel park to save their life so now we have that as an assist too. :facepalm:

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
While I think it’s a cool idea it’s just going to end up raising the costs of vehicles even more. I can’t imagine the cost to fix these once the vehicle is out of warranty and it’s having glitches. I can see this being beneficial for tucks towing but other than that I think it makes drivers more lazy depending on technology way to much. Plus I wouldn’t want to have to pay to replace one of these if/when it gets knocked off.

Headlights that talk??‍♂

The interior radar is nice. But again it’s just because we now have to many lazy people or people who are to preoccupied on their phones?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coming-soon-us-vehicles-cameras-120118854.html

1678114106880.png
First thing to come to ,ind is distracted driving.

Standing by to getting flame sprayed that looking at your three mirrors is a form of distracted driving.

I hope theres a $50.00 deletion credit for mirrors if these come true.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if they work just as well with bright lights or the setting sun shining right at them. Mud or water could be an issue - I know it is with my rear view camera. Maybe a mirror with a built-in camera would be a good way to start. One that can be turned off in settings if people find it to be annoying.

I see they’re using this in NASCAR but some drivers are still opting for a rear view mirror. I guess we’ll see.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I replaced both headlight housings and the transmission pan (with a drain plug) on my 2005 Ranger for $75. Go price those parts for a 5G Ranger... and it is only going to get worse.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
@AzScorpion , I worked on two recent surface ships classes that did away with bridge wings and the thought was to to use camera systems for situational awareness. One class program office put bridge wings back on after fleet feedback. Likely the second class will follow suit. Sometimes tried and true out performs fancy pants.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
How about NO WINDOWS...total drive by camera. Interior will feature a 360 degree surround screen video of all your missing and everything your about to hit...

download.jpg
I've seen that movie...