Official map update coming soon…. (Sep, 2022)

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Install Note:

If you download it and transfer to USB for install:

The Instructions state that it must be USB 3.0, I did not have any extra around the house -so a trip to Wal-Mart had to be made. I have a bunch of 2.0's around but only (1) 3.0 and it's not available for use

Did my Map Update today, Download and Transfer to USB - No Issues.
Went to Install - Got Error Code: LST_ERR05.

Read directions again: Noted that I copied the License Folder to the USB Itself.
It must be inside the SyncMyRide folder, moved it to correct location and tried install again: Installed in about 1 hr. (Let Truck Running for the Process) - No Issues
Sponsored

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor (SOLD 12-14-2023)
Occupation
RETIRED!
Apparanty you can do these updates using your home WIFI with the vehicle sitting in the driveway? I hit the "check for updates" button today and the the little circles on the screen started spinning. I left the ignition on for an hour or so. I checked several times during that hour, and the circles were still spinning.

A bit later the screen was back to normal. I checked for updates again and not it says everything is current. However the SYNC software version still shows 3.4.21194. So I assume it did not update. Correct assumption?

I downloaded everything from the Ford website and tried updating it that way. the light on USB blinked a few times and said the update would be completed the next time the vehicle was started. I unplugged it as instructed and checked the version....still 3.4.21194. Started the vehicle and still no change. I went through the process with the USB again, this time I got the LST_ERR05 code.

Am I missing something? Or does it take a long time for the version # to change? Fords web site still shows that I have updates available.

Open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Apparanty you do these updates using your home WIFI with the vehicle sitting in the driveway? I hit the "check for updates" button today and the the little circles on the screen started spinning. I left the ignition on for an hour or so. I checked several times during that hour, and the circles were still spinning.

A bit later the screen was back to normal. I checked for updates again and not it says everything is current. However the SYNC software version still shows 3.4.21194. So I assume it did not update. Correct assumption?

I downloaded everything from the Ford website and tried updating it that way. the light on USB blinked a few times and said the update would be completed the next time the vehicle was started. I unplugged it as instructed and checked the version....still 3.4.21194. Started the vehicle and still no change. I went through the process with the USB again, this time I got the LST_ERR05 code.

Am I missing something? Or does it take a long time for the version # to change? Fords web site still shows that I have updates available.

Open to suggestions.
The map update using your home WiFi to the Ranger is a losing cause if even possible. Using the USB port, after the SYNC shows the message that the update is completed, at least for me, the engine must be turned off and you need to exit the truck. Then enter and start the truck and the update is completed. YMMV.

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED!
I must have some corrupt files or something. I've turned the engine off & opened and closed the door a half dozen times. The old version number still continues to show the next time I check.

I tried the Cyan Lab thing and it just kept crashing every time I launched the program, so that option is out.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I must have some corrupt files or something. I've turned the engine off & opened and closed the door a half dozen times. The old version number still continues to show the next time I check.

I tried the Cyan Lab thing and it just kept crashing every time I launched the program, so that option is out.
Read my Post #106 - Got The Same ERR05 Code, I Moved the License File (Inside) the SyncMyRide Folder Within the USB, If you just copy file to USB (Outside) of the SyncMyRide folder (You will get this error) The Truck is NOT seeing the License Folder

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED!
I will give that a shot. I am currently re-downloading everything.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Plus, To Clarify - The Sync Update is the only thing you can Update Over WI-FI, the Nav Map update MUST be performed Via USB
Also ensure you have the Latest Sync Version and a 3.0 USB before you install Nav Map update to NA21

foxunderhill

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
Occupation
Soldier
Apparanty you do these updates using your home WIFI with the vehicle sitting in the driveway? I hit the "check for updates" button today and the the little circles on the screen started spinning. I left the ignition on for an hour or so. I checked several times during that hour, and the circles were still spinning.

Open to suggestions.
So Wi-Fi absolutely would not work for me on a good router with full bars. I think it's just too large at 12GB and it's timing out. Ensure you do the USB install on a Windows computer as well. Ensure the flash drive is USB 3.0, between 8-32GB in size, and ExFAT format. Something about the way Macs unzip the file makes it unreadable. Download the .zip file to a place on your computer and unzip it to the same place. Then copy all 3 unzipped items inside onto the blank USB drive. Then, copy the license file you downloaded into the SyncMyRide folder on the USB drive.

NeilP

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED!
EDIT #2: SUCCESS! I did not realize there was an SYNC update file AND a map update file. The instructions could have been a bit more clear, but I now have the new SYNC version. So far everything seems to be working like it should. I did get an XML file, but Ford's web site won't accept the upload. I get error messages indication to try again later.

EDIT #1: Well it did update the maps from NA 2 20 to NA 2 21. Still don't know exactly what else, but it took a good 45 minutes and it had me turn the engine off & restart it twice. At the very end, it said the update was complete, but it is still showing 3.4.21194 after I removed the USB, turned the engine off, opened the door & then restarted it. No XML file on the USB either.

Are you guys downloading the lic file directly to the USB?

You do NOT unzip the lic file, just place it into the SyncMyRide folder, correct?

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
of course, the update just gives me MEM_ERR01 so I have no idea whether it's any better. I'm torn between saying "screw it" because I always use waze anyway, and wanting ford to fix it just because it's their fault their update process sucks.
update for the record: someone said that they got their map update OTA and I was skeptical because nobody had ever confirmed that before. I never did get around to calling ford about MEM_ERR01, but the truck magically updated itself over wifi in the course of normal day-to-day driving. It spent weeks downloading a little bit at a time (I'd sometimes notice when I shut down in the driveway that it said it was downloading something), then one day it said an update was installed and I looked, and I have the 21 maps. So...

1) whoever it was that said maps update OTA, I apologize for my skepticism--you were right, it just takes (a lot of) patience
2) for everyone jumping through hoops trying to get the update installed (if you have the truck connected to wifi) just stop worrying about it and let it do its thing. it'll eventually update, and you won't know the difference anyway. :D there is no reason to idle the truck for hours and stress over the idiotic usb install process.
Sponsored