Cold(er) intake based on modified snorkel idea?

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So I am kind of curious if the work is worth the effort on the idea.

Its simple, following the same path as a snorkel, but without the snorkel, and modify a fender vent to ones desire. Now obviously you don't want to go river crossing with this, but concern would rise with how much more dust intake from the side vs under the hood?

The basic idea should be as simple as some PVC piping, clamps, and hole cutting bits, same as a snorkel. You could even drill some drain holes in the piping as a precaution.

All the piping would be hidden behind the fender.

Edit: Hell, technically you could use something as thin and light as dryer vent sheet metal tubing...

IMG_20210603_194036.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Stealth “snorkel” - I like the way you think. Isn’t this design meant to pull air in from the side easily? It could likely be built into the existing shape of the vent cover.

B583F27A-FC40-4789-BF67-ED0154F8A2AF.jpeg

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Stealth “snorkel” - I like the way you think. Isn’t this design meant to pull air in from the side easily? It could likely be built into the existing shape of the vent cover.

Yea you could design the end portion behind the fender vent to swoop backwards. I may need to see if I can solicate the help of our 3d printer guys here to make the end piece after a piping diameter is settled on.

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Not sure how that would work.

There is an open channel in the fender that you could route ducting. The main question would be is there enough air pressure around the body at that location to force air in.

I would think the opposite effect would happen in that air around the body would pull air out of the ducting (suction). This would typically be a spot where ducting would go to the brakes to pull hot air out for cooling the brakes.

This was how my Mustang was setup. Small ducts were in the front near the fog lights that directed fresh cool air to the front brakes via ducting, while side vents behind the wheels pulled hot air out. For engine temps side vents in the hood allowed hot air to escape, while the hood scoop directed fresh cool air to the intake.

IMG_0184.JPG

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I could understand if you don't necessarily want to snorkel on the truck but if you are planning to go into any off-road condition that may have you going into a river crossing it would be better to get a snorkel altogether. If you decide not to the velocitek intake might be up your alley since it's already been produced and would help the ram air affect and keep the dust down still. I don't know what it is but somehow that's still helps with the positive pressure

Canuckian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Crew Cab Lariat Blackout
So I am kind of curious if the work is worth the effort on the idea.

Its simple, following the same path as a snorkel, but without the snorkel, and modify a fender vent to ones desire. Now obviously you don't want to go river crossing with this, but concern would rise with how much more dust intake from the side vs under the hood?

The basic idea should be as simple as some PVC piping, clamps, and hole cutting bits, same as a snorkel. You could even drill some drain holes in the piping as a precaution.

All the piping would be hidden behind the fender.

Edit: Hell, technically you could use something as thin and light as dryer vent sheet metal tubing...

IMG_20210603_194036.jpg
If you aren’t raising the intake level (might actually be lowering it, and adding more bends etc (resistance)) what would be the value over pulling ram air from under the hood? Would probably be better to pull air from the valence below the windshield, tho I haven’t looked at what is going on there yet.

Last edited:

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Looks like a bad way to find out that is a low pressure area in the trucks aero and end up losing a 10th of a horsepower at speed.

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
Isn't that vent designed to help remove hot air from the engine compartment as well? I would be inclined to try to find a colder intake location up front instead.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Isn't that vent designed to help remove hot air from the engine compartment as well? I would be inclined to try to find a colder intake location up front instead.
Kinda vut not really. The vent is a solid plastic with one small hone in it. There are aftermarket vents that are open but not much from the engine bay goes there

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase

Ok so lets expand upon this design.

Lets say someone was crazy enough to be willing to drill a fresh intake hole in their factory fender.

One could use hood vent caps, then make a super short run of piping. I have to imagine this would create ram air.

CMS9631B.jpg

Or you could design it so there is a gasket that people could 3D print their own vent design to install on it?!

IMG_20210603_194036 (2).jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ok so lets expand upon this design.

Lets say someone was crazy enough to be willing to drill a fresh intake hole in their factory fender.

One could use hood vent caps, then make a super short run of piping. I have to imagine this would create ram air.

CMS9631B.jpg

Or you could design it so there is a gasket that people could 3D print their own vent design to install on it?!

IMG_20210603_194036 (2).jpg
I believe this location would work better.

The virtually 180° bend the air would have to make at the stock vent location would be counter-productive IMHO.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor

CMS9631B.jpg

Speaking of cutting holes. I found a ranger on Instagram that installed some 2014 Mustang hood vents on his Ranger and it looked like it should have been there from factory. Insta profile is @robo_mods

Hood Vents 2.JPG

Hood Vents.JPG
Sponsored